• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Snorlax counters- any at all?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Curselax is evil, we all know that...

now the new Blocklax is here. With block it enhances itself to be in the rank even above the legendaries sometimes. Does anyone have any way to stop this greatest ultimate evil ever in Pokemon history?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Basically, if Snorlax uses Block first thing, they send in Skarmory and it blows it away and it doesn't get any Curses.

If if Fire Blasts it, you may want to consider other psuedohazers...

One-hit KOs, though often banned would be great for this sort of thing. They are in the game, why not use them?

Of course, 00bers like Kyogre and Latios with the Soul Dew also work, but Shedinja would work if it isn't packing Fire Blast...

Gengar is nice, it can't be hit with Earthquake or Double-Edge, Fire Blast won't do much, it can Toxic and Curse it.

It's a shame that Blissey lost Counter, it's of no use against it now. As far as new Pok?mon used as counters...

Medicham could go out and hit it with a few good Brick Breaks, maybe taking it out before it can rest. You could Bulk Up while it's sleeping, and make trouble for it.

I'll add more later...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    well you see all the ideas that i can come up with too are related to the time while Snorlax is still cursing... after it got sucessfully 6 curses, there's no way to stop it (to my knowledge). It seems that if Snorlax got all 6 curses, then it's the end of the world for the other player... (like the calm minding Kyogre in a way except Kyogre is less deadly)

G-LANCE

Fire and Dragon!!!
    Years
    Originally Posted by Kairi
    Basically, if Snorlax uses Block first thing, they send in Skarmory and it blows it away and it doesn't get any Curses.

If if Fire Blasts it, you may want to consider other psuedohazers...

One-hit KOs, though often banned would be great for this sort of thing. They are in the game, why not use them?

Of course, 00bers like Kyogre and Latios with the Soul Dew also work, but Shedinja would work if it isn't packing Fire Blast...

Gengar is nice, it can't be hit with Earthquake or Double-Edge, Fire Blast won't do much, it can Toxic and Curse it.

It's a shame that Blissey lost Counter, it's of no use against it now. As far as new Pok?mon used as counters...

Medicham could go out and hit it with a few good Brick Breaks, maybe taking it out before it can rest. You could Bulk Up while it's sleeping, and make trouble for it.

I'll add more later...

actually i have glalie that knows sheer cold, a one hit ko move. and it hits 5/6 times, no im not kidding or being concieded it's true. so i guess if i traded my glalie to u it could help lol.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    that's because most likely that Glalie is used only for ingame? Sheer Cold, Fissure and other KO moves' accuracy will increase if your level is higher than the opponents. But in online battling, all Pokemon are lvl 100 automatically, so sheer cold will drop back to its 1/3 chance...

knives

I R Intelligentz
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2006
    frostweaver said:
    that's because most likely that Glalie is used only for ingame? Sheer Cold, Fissure and other KO moves' accuracy will increase if your level is higher than the opponents. But in online battling, all Pokemon are lvl 100 automatically, so sheer cold will drop back to its 1/3 chance...

simple conclution use disable and hope for the best

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Assuming it does get Cursed up, a hazer, not psuedo is your best shot.

Maybe one that's weak to Ground, entice it to use Earthquake afterwords on the switch you send Gengar out on. Once you Haze it, you could Psuedohaze it away and let Spikes do 1/4 of the work next time it comes out...

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The thing with Destiny Bond is:

1)You lose Gengar along with it.

2)It could wait you out with Curse and Rest.

Although Gengar is awesome if it's a Curse/Rest/Double Edge/Earthquake one, That Snorlax has nothing that can harm Gengar.

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    RS introduces the awesome 75% acc move... Will-o-Wisp.

Feather dance is Charm.

Blockcurse lax means it only has 1 attack (barring rest, but if no rest, it's not a threat at all), either DE/Frustration/Earthquake or whatever. Rock/Steels/Ghosts just eat up DE, and if anyone's stupid enough to use Quake, levitate kills it nicely. Weezing's always out there, along with Dusclops...

Then there's Cosmic power and Bulk up (which lax can't learn), so blockcurselax isn't that big a deal, especially with the new EV distro system (tho Lax would prolly be adamant or whatever), you'd have to sacrifice in your special defense or HP or whatever...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    and not everyone in the world has a floating ghost in their team... though we can just suspect that it's probably going to be a normal attack or earthquake, it's still hard to beat.

what if someone uses the normal Curselax but is trying reverse psychology on you pretending that it's a Blocklax? Then your little ghost is lured out... and then in comes the shadowball... i don't give my curselax earthquake anymore but shadowball to go up against Shedinja (who can easily stall you out) and Dusclops. These 2 ghost types are very common... With double edge and shadowball, that leaves only Skarmory alive against Snorlax...

you never know if the opponent's snorlax is really a blocklax or just the old fashion curselax... but what if it's really a blocklax? Then i have to pull out pseudohazer immediately... or something immune to ground/normal. or is the opponent trying to lure out one of my pokemon? It's not the fact of beating a blocklax, but the fact of guessing the opponent's moveset that makes Snorlax a hard one to beat (and it's unexplainable stuff like this that gives Pokemon game the addictive fun it has)

Red Storm

The Evil Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Wouldn't psych-up be a good countering move for either version of snorlax?

How bout a golduck or medicharm with psych-up and brick break. Let snorlax power up, put it to sleep, psych-up, and use brick break maybe. Perhaps you could turn snorlax's power against itself. If it works and snorlax doesn't have sleep talk maybe.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    snorlax does not have sleep talk... even if it can learn sleep talk, it's not used as it's so strong it doesn't really need sleep talk...

Medicham maybe a pretty good choice with its special ability and psych up... but i wonder if Medicham can survive a double edge even after it steals the 6 curses...

Red Storm

The Evil Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    snorlax does not have sleep talk... even if it can learn sleep talk, it's not used as it's so strong it doesn't really need sleep talk...

Medicham maybe a pretty good choice with its special ability and psych up... but i wonder if Medicham can survive a double edge even after it steals the 6 curses...

It could if you attack snorlax while its resting assuming that it used up its chesto berry and a little luck it slept at least 3 turns. I think Golduck works here too. A golduck with hypnosis, psych-up. and brick break. Requires some luck but possibly effective.

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    and not everyone in the world has a floating ghost in their team...
    Which is where the metagame comes in play. If you don't, why are you not getting one?

though we can just suspect that it's probably going to be a normal attack or earthquake, it's still hard to beat.
    Will o Wisp halves attack power. If it resorts to resting, you have 2 turns to pseudohaze it away. Simple.

what if someone uses the normal Curselax but is trying reverse psychology on you pretending that it's a Blocklax?
    Bulk up, Cosmic power, Curse, OHKO, Charm, Growl, Sleep powder, Attract, WIll-o-wisp, Skarmory, Steelix, Scizor, Forretress, Aerodactyl, Swords dance, need I say more?

Then your little ghost is lured out... and then in comes the shadowball... i don't give my curselax earthquake anymore but shadowball to go up against Shedinja (who can easily stall you out) and Dusclops. These 2 ghost types are very common...
    And does nothing to Skarmory regardless, along with Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, and just other things in general, Steels are great against both DE and shadow ball. Regirock's hard defense wouldn't have much of a problem either, and the Regis are quote OU'd.

With double edge and shadowball, that leaves only Skarmory alive against Snorlax...
    And every other Steel, Tyranitar, and anything with great defense like Regirock, which also learns curse.

you never know if the opponent's snorlax is really a blocklax or just the old fashion curselax... but what if it's really a blocklax?
    Bulk up, Cosmic power, Curse, OHKO, Charm, Growl, Sleep powder, Attract, WIll-o-wisp, Skarmory, Steelix, Scizor, Forretress, Aerodactyl, Swords dance, need I say more?

Then i have to pull out pseudohazer immediately... or something immune to ground/normal.
    Or you can play it nicely and play 202 until Snorlax comes out, because once lax comes out, you'd have better things to worry about, such as Calm minding legendary beasts, or Blissey the heal beller.

or is the opponent trying to lure out one of my pokemon? It's not the fact of beating a blocklax, but the fact of guessing the opponent's moveset that makes Snorlax a hard one to beat
    Not really. Curselax does have a lot of weaknesses in RS regardless of how you make it. EV distro guarentees that it either start with low Defense or spD, so you can take advantage of that early with a super duper sweeper and KO it early. Get out your Dragon dancer earlier, Dance up and kill lax in 2 before it can curse up. Will o wisp forces lax to rest so you can roar it away. Destiny bond still works in RS. Stuff like that. If you really think lax is unpredictable as it is, isn't Mew? How about Walrein? How do you know it's not a OHKO talker? If it is, how will you deal with it?

(and it's unexplainable stuff like this that gives Pokemon game the addictive fun it has)
    Yes it is, but Lax isn't even 202 legal :)

and this line is just here because I needed 25 characters in a message.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I thought you had RSphobia ML? You seem like you've been dwelling into RSbot, or maybe you're theorizing. o.o;

Back