• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Someone told me that the "UN" is trying to ban Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    Someone told me that the "UN" is trying to ban Pokemon, She said that there was a bill that the "UN" says that it (POKEMON) is a "murder simulator for toddlers" and that it would be banned World wide. From stores and the internet.

She seemed crazy, Came up to me at Walmart when i was looking at booster packs..

Years
    Someone told me that the "UN" is trying to ban Pokemon, She said that there was a bill that the "UN" says that it (POKEMON) is a "murder simulator for toddlers" and that it would be banned World wide. From stores and the internet.

She seemed crazy, Came up to me at Walmart when i was looking at booster packs..
    I think your last sentence should be the giveaway here. Even if the UN were to ban Pokemon, there's no way they'd be able to get rid of it off the internet.

If the United Nations wanted to waste their resources trying to ban a video game franchise, I can probably think of about a dozen they'd try to get rid of before Pokemon.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
    A murder simulator for toddlers? Well for one it's not a murder simulator, and for two it's obviously not marketed towards toddlers. For three Pokemon isn't even violent, but even if you could consider it to be violent there is still no evidence supporting the claim that violent video games turn people violent. Ugh I hope this is just another bad joke but if not I'm sure really surprised.

Years
    Murder simulator for toddlers? They are clearly not getting the point because like what Crystal said, Pokemon is marketed more towards older kids (and remember there's even teens and adults who still play the games today) and the attacks in Pokemon are not even that brutal to begin with.

Also, like what Brendan said there would be other more violent games they'd likely ban instead of Pokemon.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    At first I thought this was part of the UN taking action on censorship after listening to Zoe and Anita's discussion, but you mentioned it was by someone from Wal-Mart, where some of the craziest people are common in, so take it with a grain of salt.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    It's fine. You just ran into one of those people. The UN to my knowledge doesn't have the power to ban a video game franchise, and since this lady claims that Pokemon is a murder simulator for toddlers, she clearly knows absolutely nothing about it, and likely is just a nutter who likely listened to some uber fundamentalist on the internet. Just thank your lucky stars you didn't end up in a conversation with her.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2015
    At first I thought this was part of the UN taking action on censorship after listening to Zoe and Anita's discussion...

I was worried it had something to do with that because that's been in the newspaper around here.
    There's been people trying to block pokemon GO from coming out because they think its going to make kids go out into the city without an adult with them and so on.

Its madness. It's like they all want everyone just to sit in there house and look at a wall and not talk to anyone.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I was worried it had something to do with that because that's been in the newspaper around here.
    There's been people trying to block pokemon GO from coming out because they think its going to make kids go out into the city without an adult with them and so on.

Its madness. It's like they all want everyone just to sit in there house and look at a wall and not talk to anyone.

Aren't those the same people who constantly complain about obesity and want all of us to exercise more? The sheer irony of this makes my head hurt.

Years
    lol simulator for murder? Can anyone here please tell me a time they caught a pokemon and it KILLED another pokemon or DIED?

In fact i didn't even think it was possible for pokemon to be lethal or could die until i came across the cemetery tower in Gen 1

but i've never witnessed it happen in game or anime..

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    After seeing this post, I did a little web search to see where that had come from. I came across this article and skimmed over it and thought I'd share it here:
    Cyberviolence Report

After skimming that, I don't think there's anything to worry about. It was supposed to be a meeting about online harassment against women and girls that went wildly off topic. They seemed to target pretty much everything and that report doesn't exactly put their discussion in a positive light either. It ends on the tone 'this is why we can't have nice things' (it was mostly aimed at the internet in general from what I can gather...)

I hope that puts some minds at ease.

I mean, let's face it - if they ban Pokemon for being violent, they'll need to ban a lot more violent or crime focused games as well...

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    yeah then by this logic DBZ and sailor moon should be banned as well the only difference is that they are anime, so basically "murder anime for toddlers" lmao

pokemon has no reason to be banned, it's just an unrealistic game, you can't emulate it in real life. CoD is much more violent and can actually be replicated.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    I must live a very sheltered life, despite being from New York City.

I'm in my mid-20s and I've never, in my entire life, encountered a single person who was against Pokemon.

I mean encountered as in a conversation was initiated between the two of us.

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
    If it ever happens for pokemon to be banned and CoD and GTA "keeps going", I'd seriously give up of this world. It certainly wouldn't even make sense and I doubt it'd even happen.
    And darn, they faint, there's no sight of blood or suffering ever (except poison/paralysis/burn, and on HG anyways) and the game is so full of this friendship, loving blabbering it's hard to even guess what they see.

Although the fainting animations in stadium-esque games is kinda disturbing. Would've prefer it to be like the anime, some cool spirals in theirs eyes, and probably not even falling but running out of energy for anything and the trainer withdrawing it. And you see, all of that because we get attached to our pokemons and we don't like the very idea of suffering. How would I cope with the idea of murdering someone else's pokemon? And I even disliked pokemon white storyline because I once thought I was kinda evil with having them on the pokeballs. Would someone really think I'd be a killing machine? Heck, I hate to even kill some pesky insect.
    ps: disliked as "felt a bit weird", I love it tbh

Back