• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Special characters on Gen III games.

Days
Hello!
So, I'm trying to translate Pokémon Emerald to my constructed language. The last time I messed with rom hacking was like 8 years ago with Pokémon Essentials in RPG Maker XP, so I don't really have much experience with anything. But yesterday I managed to find a very old program called "Advance Text", which seemed to be the perfect thing for me, since I only wanted to edit text and nothing more, but I quickly realised that Pokémon Emerald doesn't really have support for special characters. Which absolutely sucks, cuz there's no way of writing in my constructed language without special characters, since it uses the Cyrillic alphabet.
Is it hard to add custom character support to a ROM? I've seen many custom translations to Russian, German, Spanish, Portuguese and even Icelandic, so I know there is a way of doing it somehow. I couldn't find much about it while searching, I just found a thread here where someone said "The reason why you can't use special characters is because they don't exist in the ROM" and that's it, not really that helpful.

Back