• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spelling Pokemon Names

Years
    • Seen today
    How good do you consider yourself at spelling out the names of pokemon? Any certain pokemon you find tricky to spell?

I definitely struggle with this. Even when I feel like I have them correct, I fear there might be a little nuance that I miss.

For the longest time, I would mess up Feraligatr.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I like to think I'm perfect with spelling every last one of them, but that's cause I was so stuck up about how people need to spell and pronounce the names properly when I was a kid. I've thankfully grown out of that since but I've never really had too much trouble with them because the way they're named makes them easy for me to memorize (either being portmanteaus or very similar to existing words) and I remember the exceptions like Feraligatr because they've felt so unique to me.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Pretty good, overall. Struggles the most with spellings that change between evolutions.

See:
    - Weepinbell and Victreebel. Knows about a double letter in Victreebel, but not which one.
    - Exeggcute and Exeggutor. Dropped the 'c' in there.
    - Maybe Hatenna, Hattrem, and Hatterene on the 'T'?

Likely misspells Zweilous as "Zwelious". Already has a weird name to begin with too.

Probably Poltchageist too. Misses the first 'T'.

Possibly some more Scarlet/Violet ones too. Has not typed out many of them.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I think I'm good at spelling most of them? But, there's definitely some I won't remember off the top of my head like anyone else. I don't know, maybe I'll do a game where i type out all 1000+ Pokemon and see how many I get right (with a picture without the names of the mons of course).

Years
  • I mostly have no issues with this! Even with ones that tend to be confusing like Exeggutor and Exeggcute. If quizzed on spellings I think I'd get mostly everything, though I do wonder if there are a few I'd struggle with that aren't coming to mind at the moment. ^^;;

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I tend to just copy-paste Pokemon names lol. I always nickname my Pokemon, so I've never had the extended time to really study the proper spellings of them all. Though the more popular ones I can spell fine on my own.

Years
  • On the topic of Hatterene, I now remember I used to spell it Hattrene for a while when SwSh just came out. It just looked a lot better than the actual name since three e's wasn't very nice-looking. But I'm adjusted now, even if reading it still looks weird. :woop:

Years
  • I took a name all Pokemon quiz thing like a month ago or so and had to look up the spelling of about 10-15 Pokemon as the mons came to mind, but I kept misspelling them.
    I don't remember all of them, but Gholdengo was one of them. My brain refuses to acknowledge that H for some reason xD

Back