• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Spot the Difference

Years
  • First time hosting something for the GT and I'm mainly hung up on how to allot points atm
    It mentions 10 Participation Points per person in the Event Organiser Information Thread. Is that the amount of points I can award someone per day or is that a one time participation bonus people get ?

If that's 10 points per day then I need to make a change to what I originally had in mind, which was 3 differences per pair of images which would result in 6 differences total per day.
    I want to be able to award half points if I get the impression someone knows the difference based on their description, but doesn't describe it accurately. Like say the difference is in the upper right of the image and they say upper left in their description.
    I'd rather not award 0.5 points though, so half the points a difference is worth would need to be at least 1 point. Which would mean 2 points per difference if correct and accurately described, x 6 differences, which would put me at 12 points per day. I could solve that by making the Pokemon pair 3 differences and the other game pair have 2 differences, though.

Given that this will run daily until 1 or 2 days before the end of the Get Together I feel like bonus points for 1st/2nd/3rd would be in order too.
    I was initially thinking 30 extra points for 1st, 20 for second and 10 for 3rd, but I see 15 for first / 10 for second/ 5 for third mentioned in the info thread and could just use that. Unless those points are for a daily first/second/third? Because that won't be the case here; it's one time at the end.

Moving on from points, I've noticed in the Spot the Difference game I've been running in Pokemon Trivia for over a year that people sometimes will flip between the two images that have differences between them rapidly and find any difference(s) they're missing that way.
    I'd like to prevent that and was thinking of just putting both screenshots in 1 image separated by a dividing bar to clearly mark where one screenshot ends and the other begins.
    Initially I was thinking of putting them next to each other, but I think doing them above each other would be easier, because then people merely need to scroll up and down.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the Daily two image pairs: I've settled on making one pair always be from Pokemon (a mix from BDSP, Legends, SwSh, LGPE and New Snap). Each game will appears at least twice with a screenshot.
    The other pair will be from steam screenshots. I haven't yet actually settled on which games I'll be using there as I haven't dug through them yet.

As for submitting answers, they'll be doing that through PM, so people can't see each others answers.

I'm not sure what I can do with Achievements, other than one for having a perfect score?
    Or perhaps one set to a lower bar such as getting at least 75% of the total points possible?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Moving on from points, I've noticed in the Spot the Difference game I've been running in Pokemon Trivia for over a year that people sometimes will flip between the two images that have differences between them rapidly and find any difference(s) they're missing that way.
    I'd like to prevent that and was thinking of just putting both screenshots in 1 image separated by a dividing bar to clearly mark where one screenshot ends and the other begins.
    Initially I was thinking of putting them next to each other, but I think doing them above each other would be easier, because then people merely need to scroll up and down.
    It's impossible to prevent that flipping tactic. Putting both screenshots in 1 image separated by a dividing bar just slows it down a bit.

Years
  • Is this event a cumulative thing with one final winner at the end? Or will each day have a different winner. I'm a bit insure having read through. That will help determine points.

Years
  • Points earned will be cumulative with a leaderboard/ranking yes.
    The extra points for 1st/2nd/3rd would be a one time thing at the very end / on the last day.

I'll be going with a runtime of 12 days, with potentially a tiebreaker on the 13th if needed.
    As for a tiebreaker I was thinking of setting aside a pair of images for it which has more differences than normal, but they won't earn you any points. I also won't be saying how many differences there are beforehand, so in the event of a tie, the people who are tied would have to try and find as many as they can. Whoever finds the most would win the tie.

Years
  • Points earned will be cumulative with a leaderboard/ranking yes.
    The extra points for 1st/2nd/3rd would be a one time thing at the very end / on the last day.

I'll be going with a runtime of 12 days, with potentially a tiebreaker on the 13th if needed.
    As for a tiebreaker I was thinking of setting aside a pair of images for it which has more differences than normal, but they won't earn you any points. I also won't be saying how many differences there are beforehand, so in the event of a tie, the people who are tied would have to try and find as many as they can. Whoever finds the most would win the tie.

If it's a cumulative thing with a winner at the end, you should be using the longform scoring.

Years
  • Oh... it said in the Organiser Recruitment thread "shortform stuff that can run daily" so I just assumed daily = shortform lol
    But I guess that's daily with daily winners then.
    Misunderstanding on my end I guess.

With the longform 1st/2nd/3rd points whoever gets First Place, with everything correct each day in addition, would end up with a maximum of 220 points; 100 points for first place + 10 points per day x 12.
    Dunno if that's acceptable?

Years
  • Oh... it said in the Organiser Recruitment thread "shortform stuff that can run daily" so I just assumed daily = shortform lol
    But I guess that's daily with daily winners then.
    Misunderstanding on my end I guess.

With the longform 1st/2nd/3rd points whoever gets First Place, with everything correct each day in addition, would end up with a maximum of 220 points; 100 points for first place + 10 points per day x 12.
    Dunno if that's acceptable?

So to firstly clarify that - this is moreso for things like Jackbox where they run smaller events daily and score based on that session alone. With this - I was going to actually suggest this anyway but forgot to post - as you're doing like an internal scoring system (in this case, the amount of correct answers someone has) to determine who gets 1st/2nd/3rd and then awarding a larger sum of points based on that.

I like your tiebreaker idea, that's spot on! Good to see you're prepared just in case something like that happens, especially with how easily some people may solve this. As already mentioned, I think it is going to be hard to do something which people don't just pick apart immediately. Especially given the Discord channels, I will ask if you plan on having it so players cannot converse about the answers or not, as from experience once one person has the answers and shares them with the team, everyone just submits it and through one person's efforts, suddenly 10 people have got it right. If possible, and you wish to keep it as separate entries per player, I'd advise sending the images privately (forums and/or Discord) and advise they're to be solved independently, so at least players could potentially get stuff missing/wrong.

Something I was going to suggest for this as well, was including a few more differences than the... I think 5/6 you've mentioned about doing? Maybe say bump it up to 10, 5 on each image? You could still implement your 2 and 1 point scoring system, or reduce that to 1 and 0.5. Doing the latter would mean your scoring will stay the same.

That said, I think your 220 points sounds pretty good for something like this. Based on that, I'd go for something like:

- 100 for 1st place
    - 50 for 2nd place
    - 25 for 3rd place

Let me know your thoughts - I know this is your first event so we're here to help, not criticise! We want this to work, so we'll do what we can to get this event up and running :)

Years
  • Hiya Rekoil, just want to make sure that you're still going ahead with this and if you've any questions etc, just as we've not seen you in here for a while :)

Work kept me too busy to actually do any work on this the past weeks.

I have a week off now though and I've been busy working on the images themselves. I got the 12 image pairs for the Pokemon half of this ready. I also already made the Tiebreaker image pair using a Pokemon game screenshot. Finished the last Pokemon ones yesterday along with the tiebreaker.
    And while making them I also immediately made images with the solutions highlighted afterward so I got those done too.

Today I'm gonna be rummaging through my steam screenshots for the non-Pokemon half.
    Pretty much just focusing on getting the actual images done atm.

Something I was going to suggest for this as well, was including a few more differences than the... I think 5/6 you've mentioned about doing? Maybe say bump it up to 10, 5 on each image? You could still implement your 2 and 1 point scoring system, or reduce that to 1 and 0.5. Doing the latter would mean your scoring will stay the same.

That said, I think your 220 points sounds pretty good for something like this. Based on that, I'd go for something like:

- 100 for 1st place
    - 50 for 2nd place
    - 25 for 3rd place

So with this in mind what I did was the following:
    -Day 1 & 2 - 3 Differences per pair, 6 total (per day).
    -Day 3 & 4 - 4 Differences per pair, 8 total.
    -Day 5 & 6 - 5 Differences per pair, 10 total.
    -Day 7-12 - 6 Differences per pair, 12 total.

I switched the scoring to 1 and 0.5 to keep the points the same:
    6 Differences x 1 point x 2 days = 12
    8 Differences x 1 point x 2 days = 16
    10 Differences x 1 point x 2 days = 20
    12 Differences x 1 point x 6 days = 72

Which means the total points earn-able from the differences = 120 total, same as before.

I was already going to use the longform scoring for 1st/2nd/3rd, but I guess I didn't mention the 2nd/3rd place points =P
    But yeah, 1st = 100, 2nd = 50, 3rd = 25.
    So with everything correct 1st would still get 120 + 100 = 220 points.
    Well.. plus potentially 5 Participation points, if I have to award those to everyone participating. Haven't really looked into participation points much.... yet.

If there are any half points left at the end I think I should just round those up to a whole point?
    After first/second/third have been decided that is, since the difference between them could very well be merely a half point.

I will ask if you plan on having it so players cannot converse about the answers or not, as from experience once one person has the answers and shares them with the team, everyone just submits it and through one person's efforts, suddenly 10 people have got it right. If possible, and you wish to keep it as separate entries per player, I'd advise sending the images privately (forums and/or Discord) and advise they're to be solved independently, so at least players could potentially get stuff missing/wrong.

I was going to add a rule that says you're supposed to do them by yourself, but it's not like I can actually police that.

My original intent was just to post the images in the game's thread in the event.
    Discord is out (since i don't have it and don't intend to get it), but sending them through PM would be possible, but since the event starts on the first day right away I'd need to know who's participating first or I'd lose a day awaiting sign-ups. So in that case I think I'll post the images for the first two days in the game's thread and then move to PM?
    Not sure if that's what I'll actually do yet, but it's definitely an option.

At the very least the tiebreaker, if it's needed, will go through PM to those tied at the top.

I still need to type out a proper post to start the game with; as stated atm I'm focused on actually getting the images done.

Edit1: After rummaging through my steam screenshots made the first two pairs, the ones with 3 differences.

Edit2: Next day I've made all 6 of the 6 difference screenshots for the steam pairs. Pairs remaining to be made: 4.

Edit 3: Made the remaining image pairs as well as another tiebreaker pair. Now I just need to type up a proper draft for the first post.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Don't forget there's only a week left until the GT starts! We'll need your OP, a post in the scheduling thread and any Discord info you have so we can give you EO access there.

Years
  • I've actually been typing up a Draft for the first post last couple hours:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to Spot the Difference!

As the name implies you have to find the differences between the two images within the Pink borders.
    There will be two pairs of images per day;
    -one pair will be from screenshots from Switch Pokemon games.
    -the other pair will be from screenshots from games on Steam.

This game will run for 12 days and the amount of differences will go up a bit as the game goes on:
    -Day 1 & 2 - 3 Differences per pair.
    -Day 3 & 4 - 4 Differences per pair.
    -Day 5 & 6 - 5 Differences per pair.
    -Day 7-12 - 6 Differences per pair.

When submitting your answers you can either mark the differences on the pictures or describe them in text.
    If you mark it on the pictures, make sure you mark it clearly.
    When describing what the difference is make sure you refer to it specifically.
    For example; if there's a picture with say 10 trees on them and you merely say one of the trees is different it won't get you any points.
    Try to be as specific as you can!

For every difference you get correct you will be given 1 point.
    For every difference where I think you know what it is, but it isn't accurately described or marked, you get 0.5 point.
    For example; you describe the difference itself perfectly, but you claim it's in the top right corner when it's actually in the top left corner.

You will be ranked based on the points you earn from spotting differences:

Spotter Champion (Perfect Score of 120 Points):
    -

Master Spotter (100 - 119.5 Points):
    -

Expert Spotter (70 - 99.5 Points):
    -

Veteran Spotter (45 - 69.5 Points):
    -

Adept Spotter (25-44.5 Points):
    -

Apprentice Spotter (10 - 24.5 Points):
    -

Novice Spotter (0.5 - 9.5 Points):
    -

At the end of the game the person in 1st place will get an additional 100 points, 2nd will get an additional 50 points, and 3rd an additional 25 points.
    If there are any 0.5 points left over at the end of the game, these will be rounded up, but only after 1st/2nd/3rd have been determined.

Participation Points will be awarded based on how long you participated (basically the amount of times you've submitted answers for the pictures).
    Submitted answers for:
    - 1-2 Days, 1 Participation Point.
    - 3-4 Days, 2 Participation Points.
    - 5-7 Days, 3 Participation Points.
    - 8-10 Days, 4 Participation Points.
    - 11-12 Days, 5 Participation Points.

The participation points are NOT cumulative. If you submitted answers for 8 out of 12 days, you get 4 participation points and NOT 1+2+3+4 = 10 points.
    These 8 days do not have to be consecutive however.
    Participation points will be awarded at the very end and therefore won't affect the leader-board.

Scrapping this as it's overly complicated for something minor, though I do still like the idea.

If you participate on at least two different days you will get 5 participation points.
    Participation points have no influence on your ranking.

Rules:
    -No sharing your answers with others. This is meant as an individual challenge.
    -Submit your answers to me in PM. You have 24-hours from the time the image was posted to submit your answers.
    -You can only submit your answers once per day, so make sure you're confident with your answers before submitting!

Tiebreaker:

If necessary there will be a tiebreaker to determine the top three on the 13th day.

The tiebreaker will be an additional two pairs of images that have an unspecified amount of differences. Find as many as you can!
    Whoever gets the most correct will win the tie!

The tiebreaker will be sent through PM to those tied for 1st/2nd/3rd.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The above is a text only draft. I'm bad with CSS so if the above text is okay I'll be putting it onto an image.
    The participation point thing is just an idea, I could also just go with 5 points for participating once.

Below are examples of what the images with the differences on them will look like:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It's just an example though so there's no actual differences between these =P

Providing the pair of images as separate images seemed a bit bare bones to me and I wanted to spruce things up a bit and make it more appealing so I made a border around it with a background. Though I'm wondering if it might be too distracting and might remove it.

On a separate note: Will the Event Organizer section stay open during the event, or will it close once the event starts?
    I was thinking of attaching the images to my posts in this thread, so that I can just link to them in the game itself once the get together start.

As for Discord, I don't have it.

Attachments

• Spot the Difference
      pokemonexample.png
      445.9 KB · Views: 30
    • Spot the Difference
      steamexample.png
      1 MB · Views: 29
    Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • When describing what the difference is make sure you refer to it specifically.
    For example; if there's a picture with say 10 trees on them and you merely say one of the trees is different it won't get you any points.
    Are pictorial answers allowed? I'm asking this because someone will ask this anyway when the event starts since marking the differences to the picture is simplier and easier way to answer than describing them with words.

Providing the pair of images as separate images seemed a bit bare bones to me and I wanted to spruce things up a bit and make it more appealing so I made a border around it with a background. Though I'm wondering if it might be too distracting and might remove it.
    I think the border around the images is too thick, it should be as thick as the border around the title.

Years
  • The below, after the thick separating line, will pretty much be the opening post if there's nothing wrong with it.
    The images for the pairs with differences are still examples though. I do have all of the pairs ready, but would rather not post them until the event starts.

Are pictorial answers allowed? I'm asking this because someone will ask this anyway when the event starts since marking the differences to the picture is simplier and easier way to answer than describing them with words.

I think the border around the images is too thick, it should be as thick as the border around the title.

I was reworking the example images and adjusted the border while I was at it.

As for answering via pictures: I have nothing against it, provided anyone who answers that way keeps the images private and doesn't share them before the end. Not that I can actually police that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spot the Difference

Leaderboard

Spotter Champion (Perfect Score of 120 Points):
    -

Master Spotter (100 - 119.5 Points):
    -

Expert Spotter (70 - 99.5 Points):
    -

Veteran Spotter (45 - 69.5 Points):
    -

Adept Spotter (25-44.5 Points):
    -

Apprentice Spotter (10 - 24.5 Points):
    -

Novice Spotter (0.5 - 9.5 Points):
    -

Day 1 Pokemon Pair:
    Spoiler:

Day 1 Steam Pair:
    Spoiler:

Attachments

• Spot the Difference
      opening.png
      834 KB · Views: 29
    • Spot the Difference
      day1Pokemon.png
      959.4 KB · Views: 22
    • Spot the Difference
      day1steam.png
      1 MB · Views: 17
    Last edited:
    Years
  • I know that the pink and green are this year's team colours, but the way you have them against each other contrasts really hard and makes the post difficult to read.

Years
  • Well this would probably be the easiest fix, only changed the text color:

Spot the Difference

If it is any easier, I can look at doing something like this in CSS for you! the colours and the size of the image right now do kinda make it a bit in your face and hard to read. Otherwise, perhaps posting/attaching them as smaller, separate files?

Also I see you mentioned you do not have Discord. Is this something you are able to access/make an account for? No pressure if not, just means that we will need to notify the Discord users when things will be happening.

Years
  • An attempt at css, cannibalizing stuff from another post and adapting it:

Spot the Difference!

As the name implies you have to find the differences between two images. These two images are within the Pink borders.

There will be two pairs of images per day;
    -one pair will be from screenshots from Switch Pokemon games.
    -the other pair will be from screenshots from games on Steam.

This game will run for 12 days and the amount of differences will go up a bit as the game goes on:
    -Day 1 & 2 --> 3 Differences per pair.
    -Day 3 & 4 --> 4 Differences per pair.
    -Day 5 & 6 --> 5 Differences per pair.
    -Day 7-12 --> 6 Differences per pair.

Submitting your answers

When submitting your answers you can either mark the differences on the pictures or describe them in text.

If you mark it on the pictures, make sure you mark it clearly. You're free to add a small description about what you marked on the pictures too of course!
    When describing what the difference is make sure you refer to it specifically.
    For example; if there's a picture with say 10 trees on them and you merely say one of the trees is different, it won't get you any points.

For every difference you get correct you will be given 1 point.
    For every difference where I think you know what it is, but it isn't accurately described or marked, you get 0.5 point.
    For example; you describe the difference itself perfectly, but you claim it's in the top right corner when it's actually in the top left corner.

You will be ranked based on the points you earn from spotting differences.
    At the end of the game the person in 1st place will get an additional 100 points, the person in 2nd will get an additional 50 points, and the person in 3rd an additional 25 points.
    If there are any 0.5 points left over at the end of the game, these will be rounded up, but only after 1st/2nd/3rd have been determined.

If you participate on at least two different days you will get 5 participation points.
    Participation points have no influence on your ranking within this game.

Tiebreaker

If necessary there will be a tiebreaker to determine the top three on the 13th day.

The tiebreaker will be an additional two pairs of images that have an unspecified amount of differences. Find as many as you can!
    Whoever gets the most correct will win the tie!

The tiebreaker will be sent through PM to those tied for 1st/2nd/3rd.
    The differences in the tiebreaker will not earn you any additional points, given that there are already extra points for 1st/2nd/3rd.

Rules

-No sharing your answers with others. This is meant as an individual challenge.

-Submit your answers to me in PM. You have 24-hours from the time the image was posted to submit your answers.

-You can only submit your answers once per day, so make sure you're confident with your answers before submitting!

Edit: made an alternative. Different background color + an additional border around the edge.
    Edit 2: Centered both. Guess I'll be posting in the morning when I wake up =3

Spoiler:

Idk css myself, but if I have an example I can just play around with the values in this happens =P
    I tried fancier fonts for the actual text, but most of them reduced legibility imo, so only the headers are in a different font.

If it is any easier, I can look at doing something like this in CSS for you! the colours and the size of the image right now do kinda make it a bit in your face and hard to read. Otherwise, perhaps posting/attaching them as smaller, separate files?

Also I see you mentioned you do not have Discord. Is this something you are able to access/make an account for? No pressure if not, just means that we will need to notify the Discord users when things will be happening.

I have zero intention of getting Discord tbh.
    Which is mainly due to several bad experiences on an older similar program long before discord, which I'm not going to go into detail about.

Attachments

• Spot the Difference
      testbg.jpg
      289 KB · Views: 26
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Either CSS is fine but you might want to centre it on the page. Will mark as completed anyway cause that's a quick fix.

Back