• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

starter predictions

Years
  • ok so usually i start this thread when a new main series game is announced and we see the starters, but since we didn't see who the starters were going to be, i would like to see what your thoughts are!

will we see chespin/fennekin/froakie, or will it be like legends arceus and the starters coming from various gens?

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I'm a lot more interested this time around because we don't have something like Oshawott which evolved into something that fits Hisui. Assuming this is modern-day Kalos I'm not sure what would be the perfect fit for the region itself, but I'd rather we get a unique mix of starters like in Arceus rather than just getting the Gen VI starters again. I just want another game where I can start with Popplio, but maybe Piplup and Snivy could be a good fit too, since they evolve into something more... regal?

Descendng

actual real Sableye. trust me.
    Years
  • personally, I'm thinking it'll be the Kalos starters again, but they'll have newly introduced Megas to commemorate the return of Mega Evolutions.

however, if they plan on going the PLA route with the starters again, I'd hope for Snivy, Piplup, and Torchic as the trio.

Years
  • oh lord y'all are getting my hopes up by saying snivy :plead:

i honestly think that the kalos starters would be it, either with a new regional variant or mega evos

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I want to point out, while this does look like modern Kalos, it is not. This is the future blueprints. This is likely based on the Paris Redevelopment plan that happened in the 1800s. That being said, this takes place around the same time period as Legends Arceus.

Anyway moving on, I think Piplup is a choice. Mostly because it matches a lot of the aesthetics of Kalos. Which is a big reason I thought it was going to get a Mega during Gen 6.
    I think another one could be Torchic. Torchic got a Mega before the rest of the Hoenn starters, so I feel like, while never confirmed and was probably more so of a Harbinger of ORAS, but they could now give a reason to why Blaziken got such good treatment in XY.

Which leaves only 1 pokemon left. Grass. Honestly, none of the grass pokemon really match Kalos. I don't think we will get Gen 6, 1, 9 starters either. That being said, I think it will be Chikorita. Chikorita is based on an herb. And what we know from France and Kalos, food is a big think. So I think Chikorita will take that spot.
    I think we'll see chespin/fennekin/froakie, Legends: Z-A seems to be focused to Kalos so mix of starters wouldn't make sense.

While I understand this, your statement does not make sense given what we got in Hisui which was based on Sinnoh. For Hisui starters we got Cyndaquil, Rowlet, and Oshawott which had nothing to do with Sinnoh. So mixed starters is exactly what we will likely get.

Years
  • Snivy line and Piplup line would fit imo, to a degree anyway.
    Snivy line because Serperior has a fleur-de-lis on it's design.
    Empoleon because, although I doubt it's ever been officially confirmed, it may take inspiration from Napoleon.

Fire types though... a fire breathing Dragon, a fighting chicken or a wrestling boar, or an oriental monkey or a MMA catman.... I'd pass on all of them.
    PLA was gen 8 and had a gen 7 starter. I'd add Scorbunny and turn it from a football bunny into a cyclist bunny for the Tour de France =P

Then again depending on what they do with the final evo anything could be made to fit.
    But my pick would be Snivy, Piplup, Scorbunny regardless.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • My takes would be Grookey, Totodile and Fennekin. No idea why other than to satisfy my headcanon, and I always fancied a 'duo' chemistry between Delphox and Feraligatr in my headcanon; 'brains' and 'goofy sidekick' respectively. Rillaboom would be the 'brawn'.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Guesses Froakie as the Water starter. Chose non-Sinnoh starters in Legends: Arceus, sure. Do you think they will deny a popular Pokemon in their native region? Could be a boss still, of course.

Snivy for the Grass starter. Originally thought Chikorita as a cute option. Realized a good Serperior regional/mega design around the fleur-de-lis. Suits the "Regal Pokemon" well. Adds this line from Wikipedia:
    Wikipedia said:
    Most notably, the fleur-de-lis is depicted on the traditional coat of arms of France that was used from the High Middle Ages until the French Revolution in 1792, and then again in brief periods in the 19th century.
    Models this game's setting after mid-to-late 1800's Paris.

Litten for the Fire starter. Says this half out of popularity, half out of unleashing Mega Incineroar upon the world.

Predicts one step further with regional or mega typings.
    • Greninja: Water/Poison. Seems reasonable for a ninja to use poison. Probably uses the tongue as a weapon instead of a scarf.
    • Serperior: Grass/Steel. Places the fleur-de-lis on banners and metallic things (like crowns). Shrugs.
    • Incineroar: Fire/Fairy. Plays the role of the heel normally. Reverses that. Sticks in a new type combination too. Loves doing that for regional forms.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Guesses Froakie as the Water starter. Chose non-Sinnoh starters in Legends: Arceus, sure. Do you think they will deny a popular Pokemon in their native region? Could be a boss still, of course.

Snivy for the Grass starter. Originally thought Chikorita as a cute option. Realized a good Serperior regional/mega design around the fleur-de-lis. Suits the "Regal Pokemon" well. Adds this line from Wikipedia:

Models this game's setting after mid-to-late 1800's Paris.

Litten for the Fire starter. Says this half out of popularity, half out of unleashing Mega Incineroar upon the world.

Predicts one step further with regional or mega typings.
    • Greninja: Water/Poison. Seems reasonable for a ninja to use poison. Probably uses the tongue as a weapon instead of a scarf.
    • Serperior: Grass/Steel. Places the fleur-de-lis on banners and metallic things (like crowns). Shrugs.
    • Incineroar: Fire/Fairy. Plays the role of the heel normally. Reverses that. Sticks in a new type combination too. Loves doing that for regional forms.
    I don't think they are denying a popular pokemon. Because it would be in the wild just like the Sinnoh Starters. I don't think they are going to choose things based on popularity, otherwise Charizard and other pokemon would have been in Hisui. They confirmed that this is a different Lumiose City than what we know, so I just don't see them reusing a normal Kalos Starter. It would likely all match a theme and have a lore reason or real life history reason.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    I don't think they are denying a popular pokemon. Because it would be in the wild just like the Sinnoh Starters. I don't think they are going to choose things based on popularity, otherwise Charizard and other pokemon would have been in Hisui. They confirmed that this is a different Lumiose City than what we know, so I just don't see them reusing a normal Kalos Starter. It would likely all match a theme and have a lore reason or real life history reason.
    Fair on no Charizard. But why were the Hisui starters chosen, then? Sees no real connection between them. Passed on Froakie for that, despite arguably having one of the best design tie-in of all the starters for a feudal Japan-like setting. (Kind of understands Samurott, though.) Molded Hisuian Decidueye to fit better. Cannot figure how Hisuian Typhlosion ties in.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Piplup, in Empoleon based on Napoleon. Would be a nice reference.

The rest would be useless for me

Idk, i could just give random ones: one from Hoenn and one from Galar? Even Paldea would be good, but too early.

Years
    • Seen today
    Legends Arceus had a starter from gen 2, 5, and 7 (plus all three starters from the actual region obtainable in the wild)

If they keep this formula, I'd say one starter from Galar is pretty much guaranteed. As for the remaining two, I think Paldea is unlikely because it's too soon to bring them back, so it's hard to guess. Maybe gen 4, and then gen 2, 5, or 7 again? I mean, we also have gen 1 and 3, but the problem is the starters from those gens are the only ones with already existing megas, so they'd need to create a new mega for only the starter from the gen that doesn't have it.

Days
  • Since they're bringing back Mega Evolution, it probably wouldn't be any of the starters who already have a Mega forme- they'll probably pick ones that don't have one yet, assuming they're going to have Mega Evolutions for the starters. It's really too soon to tell, though, so I'm going to wait to make a guess until we have more information.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    It'd be so hilarious if we had to choose between the Kanto starters again just so Gamefreak can add a Mega Charizard Z.
    I think we'll see chespin/fennekin/froakie, Legends: Z-A seems to be focused to Kalos so mix of starters wouldn't make sense.
    Imo there's no incentive to have different starters this time around, what with Lumiose looking so modern.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I feel like Torchic and Snivy are both guarantees at this point, for some reason. As for the Water starter, had to use a bit of elimination but decided to guess it'll be Popplio to pair a mammal starter with a bird and reptile. I figured Piplup could work but then two bird starters…

Years
  • *sneaks in* Yeah uh...idk about fire and grass...but give me my boy MUDKIP! *holds up Swampert plush* Presenting my son! :P
    I do want to see some Hoenn representation though since I got Swampert and Groudon sitting cuties plushes. Treecko or Torchic would be cool too as starters.

HisuianTyphlosion006

Sassy_Typhlo
    Days
  • ok so usually i start this thread when a new main series game is announced and we see the starters, but since we didn't see who the starters were going to be, i would like to see what your thoughts are!

will we see chespin/fennekin/froakie, or will it be like legends arceus and the starters coming from various gens?
    i'd like to see piplup since he reminds me of napoleon

Back