• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steel, Ground, Rock type starters

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I think it would be interesting if they had a change and went with a Steel, Ground, and Rock type starter pokemon. What do you think of this idea?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I kind of dislike it, sorry. I think it would be pretty cool to have them as secondary typings though, but they won't be very balanced, unfortunately. Maybe if the region was very rocky and mountainous or something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    Dark, Psychic, Fighting accomplishes the same triangle that Fire, Water, Grass does.

In your scenario Rock gets beaten badly. Poor, predictable Rock.

But I'm not really opposed to changing up long held traditions to shake things up.

Years
  • Even if Steel, Ground, and Rock were a perfect type triangle, I still don't know if I'd be a fan of it, as there are many Pokemon out there that are dual-typed with 2 out of 3 of these (ex: Steelix for Steel/Ground, Aggron for Steel/Rock, and Rhydon for Ground/Rock). And I've never been a fan of either Rock or Ground type Pokemon, so I'd probably just go with the Steel type starter if those were my only choices.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't really care that they're not perfect, they would all be usable outside of the rival battle. Plus you can easily find a common type to counter any of those types so it wouldn't be that big of a hassle.

All three of these come off as earthy to me so I'd love to pick from them

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
    Years
  • As a life-long lover of Steel types, I have to say that I have been waiting for this for years. The only Steel-type starter we have ever had was Empoleon. I personally feel it would be awesome to have more starters that were dual type steel, rock, or ground. It would make for some really interesting movesets! I also feel that it would be cool to have starters with different elements other than water, fire, and grass.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • If they got secondary typings to balance things out, sure. As is, Ground has a clear advantage over the other two, and Rock gets shafted.

Rock/Fighting, Steel/Ice, and Ground,Psychic lessay.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • tbh one of the main reasons I think G/F/W is a good trio to keep is because it's simple and easy to grasp for new players to the game. Some variation would be good and fresh, but I don't think it would be that healthy for the game as it would make it a bit less accessible for new players, as the Dark/Psychic/Fighting or Steel/Rock/Ground trio or whatever other trio, would be a bit more conceptual and a bit intuitive than the basic G/F/W.

Back