• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Students demand Yale fire administrators for defending free speech

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
Years
  • This is pretty astounding, honestly. Though I'd be lying though if I said that I didn't expect something like this to happen in the near future. There's been this cult of coddling people throughout the recent years in the United States and it's blinding people to why free speech exists. People don't try to learn and argue their beliefs and instead do something like, as Twocows said "Sticking your head in the sand and refusing to listen to any position but your own is not how progress is made, and more than that it stifles personal growth.". I've been preaching this for awhile, those around me would start sighing at this point because I talk about this a lot, but people should be learning more about themselves and finding their values and beliefs by arguing with others and finding the logic in them. If you limit free speech like these kids do you'll just end up in a box of ignorance, blind to any sort of reality and full of your own delusions. This incident reminds me somewhat of the time when a college(?) played American Sniper and some people actually made a "safe-room" so they wouldn't get offended.

My heart goes out to those administrators though. It's tough defending liberties in cases like this, especially against teenagers and young adults, seeing how stubborn they can be. (I'd know - I am one)

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    c'mon man this has nothing to do with the "SJW's." it's just college kids that have a really strong opinion, and are also like 19-20 so of course they're gonna get fired up about things like this.

No; they are social justice weasels. They fit everything on the checklist; they are a totalitarian Neo-Progressive groupthink who sees outsiders as the bane of society and should be destroyed in some way. They also share the same common enemy as with other groupthinks; the individualist. The individualist stands in front of all their goals; because of this, they see them, and their outsiders as viruses that must be destroyed. They will do anything for their cause, from causing suicides and doxxing to ruining people's careers. If they do not get rid of these rights, their dream of a totalitarian government will wither away.

I hope the administrators prevail as I am sick of these individuals getting closer and closer to the government.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This is pretty astounding, honestly. Though I'd be lying though if I said that I didn't expect something like this to happen in the near future. There's been this cult of coddling people throughout the recent years in the United States and it's blinding people to why free speech exists. People don't try to learn and argue their beliefs and instead do something like, as Twocows said "Sticking your head in the sand and refusing to listen to any position but your own is not how progress is made, and more than that it stifles personal growth.". I've been preaching this for awhile, those around me would start sighing at this point because I talk about this a lot, but people should be learning more about themselves and finding their values and beliefs by arguing with others and finding the logic in them. If you limit free speech like these kids do you'll just end up in a box of ignorance, blind to any sort of reality and full of your own delusions. This incident reminds me somewhat of the time when a college(?) played American Sniper and some people actually made a "safe-room" so they wouldn't get offended.

My heart goes out to those administrators though. It's tough defending liberties in cases like this, especially against teenagers and young adults, seeing how stubborn they can be. (I'd know - I am one)

My younger sister told me last year that a group of students shut down a pro-life event at her school because they were offended... It's sad that we can't even have a discussion these days without someone trying to shut the other party up in fear that it'll change people's mind and/or rip their bubble. Ideas that challenge our wolrd view are good things, they strengthen our beliefs. As a center-right thinker I have been challenged a lot in college and have learned a lot about my values, and gained new ones, while at the same time reinforcing others despite the counter arguements. I've learned that not everything is black and white like I had wanted it to be, that there are always to sides to an issue. I will admit that sometimes it is unconfortable at first, but it opens new horizons. If the other side is shut up then one will forever remain in ignorance. I think that the SJW that fits the trope/stereotype is so self centered, and self-righteous because he/she hasn't bothered to listen to others and only listens to their view. That creates an echo room effect similar to a bratty royal who is only spoken what they want to hear.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • No; they are social justice weasels. They fit everything on the checklist; they are a totalitarian Neo-Progressive groupthink who sees outsiders as the bane of society and should be destroyed in some way. They also share the same common enemy as with other groupthinks; the individualist. The individualist stands in front of all their goals; because of this, they see them, and their outsiders as viruses that must be destroyed. They will do anything for their cause, from causing suicides and doxxing to ruining people's careers. If they do not get rid of these rights, their dream of a totalitarian government will wither away.

I hope the administrators prevail as I am sick of these individuals getting closer and closer to the government.
    this paranoid school of thought isn't gonna get me personally anywhere so I don't subscribe to it. as someone who errs closer to the side of """SJW"""" than not, I find it incredibly hard to stomach all of what you're saying. none of these things are inherent to one group.

Years
  • this paranoid school of thought isn't gonna get me personally anywhere so I don't subscribe to it. as someone who errs closer to the side of """SJW"""" than not, I find it incredibly hard to stomach all of what you're saying. none of these things are inherent to one group.
    I think they are 'SWJ', but I don't think that all of 'SJW' are like this either. I've met some in real life who are good people, and can take criticism to some degree (it can get heated if one pushes too much, but that can be said of those of us who aren't SJW). I would say these student are in the extreme end of 'SJW'. I do fear that more could move more to the extremes.

Years
  • I don't think it's a simple matter of extreme individuals. The protest tactics become less agreeable and the demands become more outrageous. I can understand the desperation for change, but that doesn't exactly translate into feasible and meaningful change. Meaningful change includes fighting for hearts and minds, for sympathy and public understanding. I'm not sure if an increasingly radical movement understands or even wants that.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    this paranoid school of thought isn't gonna get me personally anywhere so I don't subscribe to it. as someone who errs closer to the side of """SJW"""" than not, I find it incredibly hard to stomach all of what you're saying. none of these things are inherent to one group.

Except they are. Go look at any SJW groupthink. They're a bunch of totalitarian collectivists with the same common enemy as their predecessors, the individualist, as well as their outcasts of the group. Now look at this group. They seem the same, otherwise why protest against they very thing that ALLOWS them to protest without being arrested for being against the government?

Years
  • I don't think it's a simple matter of extreme individuals. The protest tactics become less agreeable and the demands become more outrageous. I can understand the desperation for change, but that doesn't exactly translate into feasible and meaningful change. Meaningful change includes fighting for hearts and minds, for sympathy and public understanding. I'm not sure if an increasingly radical movement understands or even wants that.

I've noticed this too with Black Lives Matter and other protest movements of recent years. Even when some policy to adress the issues they want to discuss come along they shut them down with their yelling. Remarkably it's sometimes their own allies or those sympathetic to them that they attack, in other words these groups that use such methods are starting to canabalize themselves...

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Except they are. Go look at any SJW groupthink. They're a bunch of totalitarian collectivists with the same common enemy as their predecessors, the individualist, as well as their outcasts of the group. Now look at this group. They seem the same, otherwise why protest against they very thing that ALLOWS them to protest without being arrested for being against the government?
    sorry, but you're generalizing an entire group of people whose agenda you're clearly unsure of just because you may not like what they preach. like I said earlier, as someone who sorta considers themselves some branch of "SJW" I just think you're wrong. it's all paranoia (that last sentence of yours tipped me off there).

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    sorry, but you're generalizing an entire group of people whose agenda you're clearly unsure of just because you may not like what they preach. like I said earlier, as someone who sorta considers themselves some branch of "SJW" I just think you're wrong. it's all paranoia (that last sentence of yours tipped me off there).
    I am not wrong; there is Egalitarian and there is SJW, if you are an Egalitarian, you are branding yourself with the wrong umbrella term which will lead to no rational person to take you seriously. The difference between an Egalitarian and SJW is quite obvious; an Egalitarian would care for an individual's rights while and SJW wants each racial, theological, gender, etc group to be in a collective. A collective is inherently bad because it does not care for the individual's rights; it only cares for the collectives' rights and not the outcasts. Such is that of these SJWs; for these Yale administrators do not uphold the same views, they are not a part of their collective and must be eliminated.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Stop using "SJW", if you truly believe some people are as intellectually lacking, then there's no reason to not be forthright and call things by their proper name.

Anyway, those people are self-admittingly stupid and contrary to what they themselves believe in have a terrible lack of social skills.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2016
    Free speech should be expressed, there is absolutely no downside to free speech, it shouldnt be silenced.

Though i feel like that statement is falsified as much as the college students saying they feel unsafe in an expensive college.

Both sides are overreacting, and both sides have to accept others have differing views.

Nobody should be punished imo, there is no need to increase the leftist circlejerk in colleges anymore. (And this is coming from a liberal)

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • Honestly, this is nothing new to me since anything SJW-related has been spreading all over the news for the last couple of years. I'm just waiting for SJWs to admit defeat at this point.

Didn't you do something similar when you were debating with a mod regarding gamers having the right to boycott Federation Force despite the fact the developers behind them didn't promised them anything in the first place and was their own fault for having their expectations too high?

Colleges tend to be full of SJWs. (Makes me glad that I don't go to college.) I personally think that SJWs are getting out of control, and I think they're a genuine threat to freedom of speech, and their views tend to breed intolerance, not destroy it. SJWs really don't care about individuals' rights - they view people as a member of one group. I tend to find them very patronising - I can speak up for myself. Minorities can speak up for themselves.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    I've noticed this too with Black Lives Matter and other protest movements of recent years. Even when some policy to adress the issues they want to discuss come along they shut them down with their yelling. Remarkably it's sometimes their own allies or those sympathetic to them that they attack, in other words these groups that use such methods are starting to canabalize themselves...

Cannibalization is quite common between different SJW groupthinks; for they a slight difference in ideology is enough to spark outrage within their safe spaces. For all tense and purposes, it is of the same in-fighting of similar collectives; they see each other as outsiders and will in-fight when they see that their common enemy is destroyed. However, it is quite odd that the SJWs are already in-fighting. Must be a new part of their ideologies to remove all that aren't totalitarian enough.

Years
  • Cannibalization is quite common between different SJW groupthinks; for they a slight difference in ideology is enough to spark outrage within their safe spaces. For all tense and purposes, it is of the same in-fighting of similar collectives; they see each other as outsiders and will in-fight when they see that their common enemy is destroyed. However, it is quite odd that the SJWs are already in-fighting. Must be a new part of their ideologies to remove all that aren't totalitarian enough.
    I know it's common among such groups overtime, but as you said it is surprising that it's starting earlier than expected... this does not look too good..

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • honestly, this thread is kind of a disaster now that everyone's just blindly bashing "SJW's" without having a clear concept of what most are about. it's like hating on all Catholics because of that woman in the south who refused to hand out any gay marriage licenses even though it was her job. the ones like this that make a big stink about what may seem like nothing in particular to you are the exception, not the rule, and it's really ignorant and just Wrong to say that they're a "threat to freedom of speech" or whatever, and this one guy that's talking about groupthink and all that is completely off-base and comes off as incredibly paranoid for no reason. SJW's will not result in the end of the world. calm down. it's okay.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    I know it's common among such groups overtime, but as you said it is surprising that it's starting earlier than expected... this does not look too good..
    It isn't; other Totalitarian collectives in the past, such as the Fascists and the Bolshevik party, did not go at each other for quite a long time. This breed of Totalitarian collective has started cannibalizing in on itself, which normally does happen to a collective itself unless there are members with varying belief in their ideologies. Take for instance, the Bolshevik party. They lasted for near a century until someone in there changed it to a Capitalist system, something the collective SHOULD be condemning.

Then again, the Soviets and the Chinese were battling over borders during the Cold War, but it didn't get to the point like the SJWs of today.

honestly, this thread is kind of a disaster now that everyone's just blindly bashing "SJW's" without having a clear concept of what most are about. it's like hating on all Catholics because of that woman in the south who refused to hand out any gay marriage licenses even though it was her job. the ones like this that make a big stink about what may seem like nothing in particular to you are the exception, not the rule, and it's really ignorant and just Wrong to say that they're a "threat to freedom of speech" or whatever, and this one guy that's talking about groupthink and all that is completely off-base and comes off as incredibly paranoid for no reason. SJW's will not result in the end of the world. calm down. it's okay.

They are not a result of the end of the world, and we are not bashing them blindly. The SJWs are yet another Totalitarian collective and thus, like others in the past (such as the Fascists and the Bolsheviks), should be treated as a threat to our civil liberties. Just look at the UN; they let two of the prime examples (or probably not, we all know they're just in it for the money), Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, to cry over harassment of which everyone on the internet will get. Not only this, but the UN is going with them and their ideas of censoring the internet, as evident due to their paper about it with poor sources (such as sources within the UN).

Groups like the Yale protesters are fighting against our liberties. Why should we let them succeed?

Last edited:
    Back