• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Suggestions/Ideas: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Starter Pokemon

Years
    As we all know, every trainer is choosing among three Pokemon with balance in weaknesses and resistances among them. The tradition says Fire, Water and Grass types. What do you think starters should be like this time?

-----------------------------------------------------

In my point of view, the tradition could be continued. Fire Water and Grass are three balanced types with alike attacks. All of them are most of times usefull for trainers.
    Another idea would be doing something new for Pokemon. Probably a s cycle of Fighting - Psychic- Dark types would be interesting as well. What do you think?

Years
    It will be Fire/Water/Grass as always, although it should be something different.

I think Fighting/Psychic/Dark is the only other 3 pokemon cycle, since Ground/Electric/Water doesn't work exacty right, since Ground isn't effected by Electricity.

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
    Years
    Wouldn't it be Rock, Water and Electricity, because Rock Is weak to Water but Restistant to Electric, Water is strong against to Rock but weak to Electric, Electric is strong against Water but weak against Rock, anyway i think my Grass/Fire/Water starters in my 4th gen comic are quite good Starters.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2006
    excuse me if im wrong but wasnt there something about bieng alot of fused types or mixed type pokemon in the game like strange ones for instance luccario: steel fighting thing if im wrong im sorry but if i am right then dont you think the starters will take some play in this, it would make them more unique then any other of there main type in the game say if they gave them a dual type that no other pokemon had in the game

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2006
    thanx man you juss confirmed something i wasnt sure about for a while well there aint much to say about the starters cept i know im going to be happy with them no matter what just off of sheer anticapation

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Pika_blue said:
    Lucario is a legendery. and, no, there are only a FEW new types, not loads.

Diamond and Pearl will introduce no new types.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The Black Hedgehog said:
    Wouldn't it be Rock, Water and Electricity, because Rock Is weak to Water but Restistant to Electric, Water is strong against to Rock but weak to Electric, Electric is strong against Water but weak against Rock, anyway i think my Grass/Fire/Water starters in my 4th gen comic are quite good Starters.

Electric attacks are super effective against water, but doesn't water attacks act normally against electric? It would kind of break the cycle.

And if the 3 starter pokemon are going to have double types, I don't think it should interfere with the grass/fire/water cycle thing. Say if the water one was also flying, it would disrupt the thing where they're strong against one, but weak against the other.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I think Fighting/Psychic/Dark is the only other 3 pokemon cycle, since Ground/Electric/Water doesn't work exacty right, since Ground isn't effected by Electricity.
    That totally wouldn't work. The Dark type Pokémon would have an unfair advantages against the Psychic, seeing as it's immune against Psychics, the Grass > Water > Fire circle worked well because the Pokémon weren't immune to eachother's types, only resistant
    Since when have Rock types been resistant against Electric? Please get your facts straight.

I once figured out a perfect type cycle (apart from Grass > Water > Fire), but I just can't remember it now <.<
    And either way, I think Nintendo should stick to the Grass/Water/Fire starters. Not only are they types that will all prove to be useful in a team, but they also make the perfect cycle.

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Jorah said:
    Electric attacks are super effective against water, but doesn't water attacks act normally against electric? It would kind of break the cycle.

And if the 3 starter pokemon are going to have double types, I don't think it should interfere with the grass/fire/water cycle thing. Say if the water one was also flying, it would disrupt the thing where they're strong against one, but weak against the other.

Your second point is irrelevant. The water starters can learn Ice Beam with TMs.

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
    Years
    Rock is ^_~, if you play any game or watch any Pokemon anime Pikachu can never make a dent on Onix, so yeah, i rest my case.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Zone said:
    Your second point is irrelevant. The water starters can learn Ice Beam with TMs.

Learning different type TMs isn't the same as being a different type. If one of them did have a second type that disrupted the fire/water/grass cycle, like for some reason they could have the water pokemon have a second type of flying, it would dirupt the cycle because the grass attacks would only have a normal effect on the water/flying pokemon instead of being super effective.

The Black Hedgehog said:
    Rock is ^_~, if you play any game or watch any Pokemon anime Pikachu can never make a dent on Onix, so yeah, i rest my case.

Onix is a rock/ground pokemon. Because it's ground electric has no effect, not because it's rock. Aerodactyl is a rock/flying pokemon and you can use electric attacks against it.

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Jorah said:
    Learning different type TMs isn't the same as being a different type. If one of them did have a second type that disrupted the fire/water/grass cycle, like for some reason they could have the water pokemon have a second type of flying, it would dirupt the cycle because the grass attacks would only have a normal effect on the water/flying pokemon instead of being super effective.

Onix is a rock/ground pokemon. Because it's ground electric has no effect, not because it's rock. Aerodactyl is a rock/flying pokemon and you can use electric attacks against it.

I suppose that is correct.

BrownEyedGirl

Beginning Trainer? Muahahaha..
    Years
    Hmmm. I wouldn't mind Diamond/Pearl giving the original water/grass/fire tradition for starter Pokemon. But it would be very cool if they were new species.

And the double type thing, like steel/fighting? I don't know why, but I'm just not warming up to the idea of way out of line double types. It's weird JMO.

bluestorm

Lucario and Mudkip! BLUE PWNS!
    Years
    I dont think its weird. The combination of fire/fighting in Blaziken was awesome! I wonder if they'll have a water/fighting....i hope so. Mudkip's evos were great too! It's water/ground type gave a big advantage against electric types!

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
    Years
    Oh my bad ^_~, i always thought he was a Rock type, never knew he was a double type, now thats my stupidity, but anywho...i dunno then..i still think the fire/grass/water starters in my 4th gen comic would be awesome for it.

Back