• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Alternatively... they could create another way for it to evolve (hold a Ice-related item while levelling up) which would mean that a snow-based area wouldn't be guaranteed. BUT they're probably not going to do that and we're going to have snow on Alola and everyone's going to be regretting the fact that they didn't bring winter gear.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Alternatively... they could create another way for it to evolve (hold a Ice-related item while levelling up) which would mean that a snow-based area wouldn't be guaranteed. BUT they're probably not going to do that and we're going to have snow on Alola and everyone's going to be regretting the fact that they didn't bring winter gear.

The snow could be at the very top of the mountain though. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the island. Unova (not counting winter season), Sinnoh (Mountains), Hoenn, and Johto had caves for Ice type pokemon.

So they could just make a cave for the Ice types like they have in half the generations.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    For snow, I could see this justify it:

The legends will control the climate trough the sun and moon, as some speculate, the legend location will be on a mountain in which opposite sides have the mascot.

Perhaps their cosmic power ends up creating one spot within the region where nature is altered and we get an icy or snowy area.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • So Amazon may have slipped up in confirming that Alola is made up of more than one island:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Didn't See Until Now

There are 8 main islands, which make up the state of Hawaii (Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Kahoolawe, Lanai, Molokai, Kauai and Niihau).

8 islands that make up Hawaii...8 gym leaders.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • For snow, I could see this justify it:

The legends will control the climate trough the sun and moon, as some speculate, the legend location will be on a mountain in which opposite sides have the mascot.

Perhaps their cosmic power ends up creating one spot within the region where nature is altered and we get an icy or snowy area.
    They might not even need it seeing how Irl Hawaii island gets snow around winter. They can make it winter in that area like how Kalos had an area that looked like it was fall.

Reactions: Z25

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Here's an extensive article from Hawaii Magazine, talking about the varied climates in all of the Hawaiiian islands if anybody's interested:

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/cont...ds-14-climate-zones-explorers-guide-each-them

The Big Island has all the 10 that are listed, including the snow-capped mountain of Mauna Kea that I mentioned earlier. So yeah, it would be totally feasible for GF to implement all of these climates without it sounding outlandish for a tropical region like Hawaii.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Desert huh? We've had some kind of desert in every region since Hoenn. Only Kanto and Johto missed out. We got Marshes in every region since Sinnoh (okay, maybe the safari zones of Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn had some, but I don't recall).
    So I think we'll get more. We also have had a mountain to explore in every region except for Kalos. (Past mountains were Mt. Moon (Kan), Mt. Silver (region is disputed), Mt. Mortar (J), Mt. Chimney (H), Mt. Pyre (H), Mt. Coronet (S), and Twist Mountain (U).) Alola is sure to have an explorable one.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah to me, desert is a given. But I hope it is a good desert. I think Unova's desert has been the best by far, but didn't like when all the buildings went up. Although in White 2, it wasn't too bad.

Same goes for mountains. I think we will have 2 at least.

Years
  • Desert huh? We've had some kind of desert in every region since Hoenn. Only Kanto and Johto missed out. We got Marshes in every region since Sinnoh (okay, maybe the safari zones of Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn had some, but I don't recall).
    So I think we'll get more. We also have had a mountain to explore in every region except for Kalos. (Past mountains were Mt. Moon (Kan), Mt. Silver (region is disputed), Mt. Mortar (J), Mt. Chimney (H), Mt. Pyre (H), Mt. Coronet (S), and Twist Mountain (U).) Alola is sure to have an explorable one.

Interesting bits of trivia there, I do hope we get all of these aspects back in Alola although I know there will likely be areas with a lot of water.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There will definitely be mountains in Alola, hopefully some volcanic ones too. I wonder how big the Region will be collectively as all of the Islands, surely it has the potential to be the biggest so far since there will be multiple islands.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Don't forget, the pokemon regions are based off real life areas, but they aren't real life areas. Just because Hawii gets snow, it doesn't mean Alola will get snow.

Years
  • I think just maybe we'll have something like Mt. Chimney, a volcano considering the region is based off Hawaii

It is interesting that Kalos is the only region that we don't traverse a mountain in, but if we get a resident mountain for Alola, I would agree to see a volcanic one to shake things up a bit.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I think the only thing that came close for a mountain in Kalos is Frost Cavern and the shot of a mountain and the sky as you're entering it. So yeah, I'd definitely like an actual mountain to traverse through.

Back