• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun & Moon not launching globally (?)

Years
  • http://shelgon.tumblr.com/post/143478969344/pok%C3%A9mon-sun-and-moon-will-not-launch-globally
    http://www.pocketmonsters.net/articles/2576

So, we've heard about when the new Nintendo console, the NX will be coming out, but at the same time we seem to be getting some quite concerning news regarding Sun & Moon's release date.

According to the links, it says that the games will be coming to the US in "Holiday 2016" while Europe is stated to get a "Late 2016" release. In those words, it probably means that we may get a repeat of what happened with OR/AS, and that is Europe being forced to wait longer than the US.

Definitely something Europeans won't be happy about, especially if this means they'll be swamped by spoilers from those who got the games first. What are your thoughts on this?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Joe Serebii on Twitter has been clearing that up recently, saying that Europe doesn't have the same "holiday season" that the US has. Holiday 2016 in the US would mean the 4th quarter of the year(October-December). I think the "Late 2016" for Europe most likely means the same thing, as those months are in the later part of the year.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I agree with WingsofBliss I consider the two pretty much the same. However I don't think it'll have a global release day like XY. If they really wanted to keep it up they would have done it with ORAS. I have a feeling someone will miss out bug only by a few days. Staggering months would be a super unfair decision on their part.

Years
  • I can see Wings' point. The holidays aren't the same between countries so I feel like the games will come out at the same time, even if it's not the exact same date.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • They're probably going to release the games in Europe and America days apart.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2016
    I can definitely see the games being days apart similar to how Japan/NA/AUS got ORAS on the 21st of november and Europe got them on the 28th

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • http://shelgon.tumblr.com/post/143478969344/pok%C3%A9mon-sun-and-moon-will-not-launch-globally
    http://www.pocketmonsters.net/articles/2576

So, we've heard about when the new Nintendo console, the NX will be coming out, but at the same time we seem to be getting some quite concerning news regarding Sun & Moon's release date.

According to the links, it says that the games will be coming to the US in "Holiday 2016" while Europe is stated to get a "Late 2016" release. In those words, it probably means that we may get a repeat of what happened with OR/AS, and that is Europe being forced to wait longer than the US.
    Definitely something Europeans won't be happy about, especially if this means they'll be swamped by spoilers from those who got the games first. What are your thoughts on this?

Um, we've known about this since they announced the games. We even talked about it in the release date speculation thread I had made soon after the reveal. The dates mean the same thing. Joe said it better than me in one of his recent tweets.

Btw, I think you mean to say 'simultaneous worldwide' release. Now, the games haven't ever been truly released 'globally', as they don't sell them in all countries, just the industrial (Aus, Japan, France, U.K, U.S.A, etc.)and nearly industrial nations (China, and some latin American countries irc). Well...I guess due to that it won't even be a 'world wide' release even if the countries they sell the games in get them at the same time...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can see where you're pointing, now if only we get an official confirmation of when that exact release date is happening, that is if we do get it announced in the coming months.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • sigh..,
    I guess I'll be avoiding the internet for a week if they aren't simultaneous .

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • That's a bummer! Really, if it is not at the same time i'll just have to sit here while everybody plays!I don't even live in Europe but regionally for Nintendo we are (Israel) in the European section, and they always ship things a week late, so I might be getting this game like...1.5-2 months AFTER the european release... :\ that is, if I even get the games in 2016, and not 2017...

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Imagine though if they decide to postpone the European release for March 2017 or something while the others get it on late 2016. That'd be hilarious, kinda like what happened with the PlayStation 3 back in 2006.

pkmin3033

Imagine though if they decide to postpone the European release for March 2017 or something while the others get it on late 2016. That'd be hilarious, kinda like what happened with the PlayStation 3 back in 2006.
    No, no that would NOT be hilarious. Far from it.

They had better not do this. I am absolutely fed up with being treated like trash by nearly every video game developer in existence, and Nintendo in particular need to buck up their ideas. Their release schedule for EU territories over the latter half of last year and the first quarter of this year was utterly disgraceful. There is no excuse for delaying release dates between the two territories for months, and for something like Pokemon it's even more inexcusable.

You're not Atlus, Nintendo, so don't act like it. I'd be fine with a Tuesday/Friday gap between release dates, but I'm not going to accept anything else.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    Imagine though if they decide to postpone the European release for March 2017 or something while the others get it on late 2016. That'd be hilarious, kinda like what happened with the PlayStation 3 back in 2006.

Sun and Moon will be NX launch titles in Europe, while rest of the world gets inferior 3DS versions.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Sun and Moon will be NX launch titles in Europe, while rest of the world gets inferior 3DS versions.

Lol, I thought of that too when I read 'March 2017' in Vodka's post. However, if the NX is a handheld like some are thinking then perhaps SM will have enhancements for the NX.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

No good reason to (and the NX reason is extremely likely). Translations won't be a problem because they're the same language and as for the different systems they've done it long enough that they've perfected it. Maybe getting permission to release or something idk but there's no actual need to hold it out that long.

Years
  • sigh..,
    I guess I'll be avoiding the internet for a week if they aren't simultaneous .

It is confirmed to not be simultaneous.

Europe is getting the games on November 23rd, which is five days later than everyone else who is getting it on the 18th. Maybe this is the new thing to expect with release dates, that Europe has to wait close to a week after other countries do.

Gens 1-5 mainly had a focus on region-based releases with Japan being first (duh), and then followed by individual release dates for North America, then Australia, and then Europe, with some exceptions. But I guess the new pattern is same date between all countries outside of Europe.

Back