• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey - What Features Do You Look For Most In A Rom Hack / Fangame?

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Yo! It's me again, themanynamed, the dude curating the Codex; an attempt at a comprehensive database of information about Pokemon Rom hacks, all categorized by a community-enhanced set of tags, with the primary intention being easy sorting - especially on mobile - with the end goal being, ideally, uniting any given trainer with their perfect pokemon game. (Disclaimer: the PokeROM Codex does not and will not ever link to any ROMs and isn't trying to advertise anything specifically. The primary purpose of this project is Information; this is a Catalog, not a Repository.)

I ran a survey about a month ago that asked what people looked for or didn't like in a romhack which used all of the tags that were available on the Codex at the time, and I got over 200 responses! It gave me some good general data as to what the community is looking for in their hacks, which I'm sure would be useful to some creators, somehow. But I'm going to see if we can refine that even further!

The new and improved one now features all the new tags from the various overhauls, and a range to show exactly how much you like or dislike any given option, which should hopefully really help narrow down what the community looks for when they decide what they want to play. The survey also features a section about how hacks are played, on what device and with what emulator.

I feel like this data will help both the creators that want to make their hacks for a wide audience, and people like me running databases or forums or anywhere that's trying to unite the trainers with what they want in the best way possible~

So, Here's a pdf made by the fantastic Zumi of the results from the first survey, and Here's a pdf made by the fantastic Colgate, which also accounts for blank responses, but is only ~60% of the answers~

& without further ado, here's the new survey. It's five pages long - four of tags, and one asking how you play - so it (hopefully) shouldn't take too long.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you for the submission, and the feedback! I did not know about NanoBoyAdvance, thank you for letting me know about it! I wonder if I add that as an option, if it would count yours as part of it, or if it would still count as 'other'... hm.

As for tags, i try to explain things the best that I can in the FAQ, but it isn't always possible to explain everything. Did you check the FAQ / did you even know it exists? I linked the page at the top of the survey, but that was back when it was only one page, maybe I should put the link on every page... That one may be on me xD But please let me know any or all tags that are confusing or that aren't explained properly and I will do my best to try to answer them in a satisfactory way.

I appreciate you~

Back