• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] SWC

Years
  • Okay guys, first and foremost, what do we want to do for our theme this year? I was thinking past & future would make sense given a lot of the themes around the GT itself, but people struggled a lot last year having a more abstract them compared to the one before. So maybe something a bit more concrete? We could do ghosts, the supernatural, spirits etc - that would be fitting and more concrete.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Past and present is rather neat, given both the SV and Legends Arceus games being good vehicles to explore that idea in fics. So I don't mind something on that level of abstract again.

Years
  • Past and present is rather neat, given both the SV and Legends Arceus games being good vehicles to explore that idea in fics. So I don't mind something on that level of abstract again.

It's definitely my preferred of the ones I listed I have to admit.

Years

Just realised you said present not future. Do we want to throw that in as well?

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    Sounds good since 4th generation remakes and legends arceus represent time, space and time travel.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • do one for a certain number of (valid) submissions per team? i dont know offhand what the average submission count for swc is but it could be motivating for people to try if they counted toward like, idk, a +20 points for 10 or more submissions on a team

Last edited:
    Years
  • My next question is, do we have any ideas for "achievements" SWC could offer? Cause I'm stumped on that one.

How about something to get some collaborative effort (and I guess an RP element to it) - an achievement for being able to construct a timeline akin to say, Back to the Future? So having a collaborative effort of 2/3 people that between them construct a story that managed to traverse the past, present (if included) and future? (NB - the entries will still be separately written/submitted, but just have a link between some other entries).

Or, piggybacking off that, having a story comprised of the most entrants as possible? I don't know if this borders onto being a separate event, but could be cool to see if a team can put together like a huge RPesque story. Only thing with this is that I guess it will somewhat force teams into having to do that, otherwise one team will just get said bonus points.

In terms of the event - not much to really comment on otherwise, other than agreeing with your choice of Past/Future etc as the theme; it's nice and broad, very open to interpretation whilst concretely sticking to the theme of the Get-Together!

Years
  • I'm not sure. Typically this is meant to be a solo endeavour and I think it probably should stay that way if we want people to actually finish their stories.

Bay

Years
  • Yeah SWCs tend to be mostly a solo event and I can see having collabs might result in less entries. What I can see though is maybe something like +50 extra points or something to the team that entered the most entries, something simple.

Years
  • Yeah SWCs tend to be mostly a solo event and I can see having collabs might result in less entries. What I can see though is maybe something like +50 extra points or something to the team that entered the most entries, something simple.

That's not a bad idea.

Years
  • Small Writing Competition!
    Judged by Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie.

SWC

Welcome everyone to the Small Writing Competition! The gist is simple - write a story based on the prompt, and submit it to the judges before the deadline.

Rules
    1.) Follow PC's rules and Fanfiction and Writing's rules.
    2.) Stories written for this competition must be completely new. In other words, they must not have been written before. You also are not allowed to post it anywhere else until judging is over. Having someone beta read your entry prior to submission in private is allowed.
    3.) You must PM your entries to all of the judges. (This is so if someone loses their PMs the others still have them and so forth). The judges in question are Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie. You also must post in this thread when you send your PMs so we can confirm you did send us an entry.
    4.) One entry per member only, sorry.
    5.) You have until 11:59pm EST, October 20 to get your entry in.
    6.) The story can be based on Pokemon, another fandom, or be original fiction. Note the judges may not all be familiar with any other fandoms.
    7.) The entry can only be a completed one-shot as this is a small writing competition - no chaptered entries, please! There is no word limit.

Once the scores are posted and the competition is over, you may post your story in Fanfiction and Writing so that others may see it. Make sure to add [SWC] to your title if you do!

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Scoring and Prompt
    Each entry can have a maximum score of 30, with the points broken down into three categories equaling 10 points in total like in previous years. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
    Characterization, Plot, and Description
    Relevance to Prompt

Each participant will receive 10 points when their entry is sent in. Furthermore, the top three places will earn additional points as detailed below.

First: 100pts
    Second: 50pts
    Third: 25pts

Additionally, the team with the most submissions at the end will earn a bonus 50 points!

The prompt is past, present and future. You can use one, two or all three elements of the prompt in your story. Good luck!

Entrants

How's this?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Looks good to me!

I like Bay's idea as well - could add that in about the team with the most entrants. [What if there's a draw there, split up the points?]

Years
  • Looking good guys! As long as you three are happy with it all, am happy to mark this as approved as we've the 'final' as it were post to go and it looks like points etc. are all sorted too :)

Back