• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team building guide

Happy and at peace. :)
Years
  • This is Version 0.1.0 of this guide.

I feel that for beginning hackers, there are many things they seem to miss out on early on. So, I have some things that I would like to clear up.

What I am hoping to achieve with this tutorial is to answer two main questions:
    "How can one best go about creating a ROM hack either solo, or as a team?"
    "How can one make a modular hack? That is, a hack that can be scaled to greater proportions as time goes on and more people join."

My reasons/justifications:
    Spoiler:

Those are my justifications for why I am creating this guide, and I hope it helps at least one person. Some of these points will reiterate some of the above, but you should still read through them anyway.

1. Organization

Spoiler:

2. Try out an IRC for group projects.
    Spoiler:

3. Make template scripts.
    Spoiler:

4. Learn everything.
    Spoiler:

5. Patience.
    Spoiler:

6. Be careful when mapping.
    Spoiler:

7. Choose a ROM base(s) in the beginning.
    Spoiler:

These little things are what can make or break a hack and a team.

Final note:
    Spoiler:

That's the end of the guide for now. I'm open to constructive criticism, so please let me know what you think and how I could improve upon this guide.

Let me know if it should exist, not exist, if you like it or hate it, whatever it is in the comments. It's appreciated regardless.

Thanks for reading and happy hacking!

Last edited:

Years
  • Well thank you very much Vagrant Pixels, I am glad it helped.

Last edited:

Years
  • Illumine, what would be a better title, should I be able to change it?

EDIT: Maybe "A beginners guide"?
    I can't really think of a better name, as that really what it's about. Basically the thread is some points I've noted and expanded on here from working on a team myself.
    When people can't think of a plan right from the offset, they can really mess up a team, as no one knows what is going on.
    However, when one organizes it from the beginning, and everyone knows what's up, things can work a lot better.

Years
  • The guide has now been updated. It is now better organized and also has better points then the previous version. To those whom read my first version, I'd suggest reading this one. Thank you!

Last edited:
    Back