• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Telltale Games

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Telltale Games

I wanted to for awhile create a megathread on all Telltale Games related. If you've never heard of Telltale Games before now, it is a company that specializes on games in episodic fashion, combining rudimentary gameplay with rich arcing stories and game-changing decision making. On top of the recently announced new Telltale game centered around Minecraft dubbed "Minecraft: Story Mode" that got announced today, Telltale Games is known for their hit games such as:
    • Tales from the Borderlands
    • Game of Thrones
    • The Wolf Among Us
    • The Walked Dead (S1 + S2)
    As I said, this is going to be a Megathread for all things Telltale Games related. Which games have you played/what games do you want to play? What do you think about this type of gaming separated into episodes? These are just some leading questions, and feel free to elaborate on anything TTG related.​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen today
    On top of the recently announced new Telltale games centered around Minecraft dubbed "Minecraft: Story Mode" that got announced today

I have no idea how that would even work considering how different those games are, but I am so excited.

I recall complaining a lot about linearity and the illusion of choice in The Walking Dead in a previous thread, but I do love their games and the stories they tell, even if my choices don't truly impact the story as advertised.

I'm really curious about how they will pick it up in season 3 though,
    Spoiler:

Same thing can be said about the choices in The Wolf Among Us, but I dunno, I guess because the story was so cool and different, I really didn't mind. I loved the concept of Fabletown so much that after I played the game, I went and bought the comics (which I highly recommend if you liked The Wolf Among Us - lots of other great characters and it really expands on the backstories of everyone).

As for the whole episodic thing, I'm a little torn - on one hand, waiting really sucks and sometimes, they take so long to come out with the new chapters that I either don't remember too well what happened last (though the "previously, on _______..." thing helps), or I may have temporarily lost interest in the story by the time it comes out. But on the other hand, TTG actually goes through the speculation/message boards on their forums and writes the stories according to the feedback of fans, which is cool sometimes.

But for chapter 2 of The Wolf Among Us
    Spoiler:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I enjoyed their take on Monkey Island. I would have played through their Bone series if that didn't die after two episodes. The other big ones I haven't played or seen the content they are based on, or I have and wasn't interested. So I haven't tried them out

srinator

Tales of borderlands was amazing, epic first episode. Eagerly awaiting the next one :o

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Telltale are one of my favourite developers right now, and totally deserve all the praise they get. However I'm not a fan of the episodic releases. I prefer to be able to binge play all the episodes, and you could easily be waiting several months between releases (a la Episode 1 -> 2 of The Wolf Among Us). That's really my biggest gripe, I know they like to get feedback from fans and everything but I'm not sure it's completely necessary any more now that they've built so many games and know what's successful and what isn't.

I'm really interested to see their take on Minecraft though, it seems weird as hell that they would take it on. But I'm kind of excited.

EeVictinee

Eevee and Victini just fused to....
    Years
    I love the games they make, but the "tailored on how you play'" is BS.
    Most of the time, the same thing pretty much happens.
    Ex:
    Save either Doug or Carly.
    Choose anyone, but it won't matter since they will die in the same way anyway.
    OR
    Save this dude, only for him to die later.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
    Years
    Well,I wanted a thread like this to appear. First off,I'm happy that I found out about this new game through this thread. I think I might like MC: SM! Secondly,I still have not played any games from Telltale,but I did watch videos about some of their games. (Oh,if only I had the monies for them games)

I'm wondering what their gonna do with the Minecraft: Story Mode thing. I'm really curious. But,of course,I'll get what I want unless I wait patiently. :3

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    The Walking Dead is a great series that pulls off drama really well. I also like Telltale's Back to the Future games, and Sam & Max.

I'm really curious about how they will pick it up in season 3 though,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    While I do love most Telltale games, the fact that so little of what you choose matters is very annoying.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    While I do love most Telltale games, the fact that so little of what you choose matters is very annoying.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    That particular thing kinda bothers me, but I think people expect way too much from Telltale's "The story adapts to how you play". You can't expect huge storyline drifts, because that requires much more development work for what might be the small percentage of people that choose to make a particular choice. You have to remember that there's only one central storlyine that you're meant to experience, it's still just one game.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    That particular thing kinda bothers me, but I think people expect way too much from Telltale's "The story adapts to how you play". You can't expect huge storyline drifts, because that requires much more development work for what might be the small percentage of people that choose to make a particular choice. You have to remember that there's only one central storyline that you're meant to experience, it's still just one game.

Then they need to not advertise the games specifically around being tailored to your choices. If it tells you that at the beginning of the game, whether I risk my life, or sacrifice another, to save a guy needs to not only have an effect on how an old guy looks at me in a single cutscene. I realize they can't make entirely different games based around single choices, but I still don't understand why they couldn't just make the entire game and then add slight changes based on who you save, big choices like that. The way the story jumps through hoops just to stop your choices from having meaning is lazy and annoying. "Oh, you saved Carley instead of whats-his-name while running from the pharmacy? Better randomly make someone crazy so we can off her too."

I honestly wouldn't mind the blatant lie about the effect your choices have if the writing subtly got around it, but it just throws it in your face.

Spoiler:

EeVictinee

Eevee and Victini just fused to....
    Years
    The Walking Dead is a great series that pulls off drama really well. I also like Telltale's Back to the Future games, and Sam & Max.

Spoiler:

So my ending doesnt matter?
    The f outta here.
    At least we get references.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So my ending doesnt matter?
    The f outta here.
    At least we get references.
    Spoiler:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    In a desperate attempt to keep this thread alive, I'd like to start a discussion about
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen today
    In a desperate attempt to keep this thread alive, I'd like to start a discussion about
    Spoiler:

The Wolf Among Us
    Spoiler:

Walking Dead Season 2
    Spoiler:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    Walking Dead Season 2
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years