• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The death Penalty! Should it be banned?

Should the death penalty be banned?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • No!

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Many posters in this thread's example's said:
    An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
    A wise man once said said:
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    Galatea said:
    There are people who have been sentenced to death for crimes they didn't commit and later found to be innocent. It makes you wonder how many people have been executed who were really innocent.

Capital punishment feels more like revenge than justice if you ask me. Besides, if someone has done something so horrible wouldn't it be better if they had to live out their entire lives imprisoned, living with the guilt of knowing they put themselves there and the knowledge that they will never be free again, as a living example that society doesn't tolerate horrible things?
    This was really good writing of a point I was just going to make, just written smarter. XD
    I feel that the death penalty is the easy way out for the criminals that can't live with themselves for what they have done. Hussein shouldn't have been killed, because a life in jail would actually be ALOT worse for him, Imo.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    However it would tell others that if you do this crime and are convicted, sat goodbye to your life.

If that worked this way, these crimes would have disappeared centuries ago, pretty much when the death penalty appeared, don't you think?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You know, now that I think of it too... The whole injection - death penalty steps taken, seems to be a bit much... Sure a lethal injection is humane, but those 3 injections would appear to be costly.

What happened to the good ol' Guillotine? I'm sure those being put to death, wouldn't care on how there death was to occur, and heck, back in the day (okay well a few centuries back :P) people went to this sort of thing, as though watching a spectacle.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    You know, now that I think of it too... The whole injection - death penalty steps taken, seems to be a bit much... Sure a lethal injection is humane, but those 3 injections would appear to be costly.

What happened to the good ol' Guillotine? I'm sure those being put to death, wouldn't care on how there death was to occur, and heck, back in the day (okay well a few centuries back :P) people went to this sort of thing, as though watching a spectacle.
    Wait.....are you serious?
    I sure hope not...Guillotine?! that's gotta hurt! I would want MY death to be quick (lol, I almost spelled it "quck". XD) and painless (when I eventually die...I did not commit a crime! XD)

Years
    The guillotine was still used in the 20th century, but anecdotes aside, I agree with you. Let's bring back the guillotine. That would be a spectacular way to get people disgusted and outraged at capital punishment because it would show them just how barbaric killing is.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Wait.....are you serious?
    I sure hope not...Guillotine?! that's gotta hurt! I would want MY death to be quick (lol, I almost spelled it "quck". XD) and painless (when I eventually die...I did not commit a crime! XD)

I'd assume that being headless and all would negate any sort of pain to begin with... XD

This isn't a headless chicken we're talking about. >.>

The guillotine was still used in the 20th century, but anecdotes aside, I agree with you. Let's bring back the guillotine. That would be a spectacular way to get people disgusted and outraged at capital punishment because it would show them just how barbaric killing is.

While I'm not sure that might be the best deterrent, making capital punishment a sentence for any crime above a certain type of crime could definitely get people to think twice. I'd probably chop the head off of people starting with crimes of fraud/identity theft, arson, grand theft auto, then to robbery then to rape and murder. I'm sure there is a whole list missing but if it is worse than fraud it could belong on the list. XD

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    How is it humane? Nazi's made it, and I'm not saying that it's bad just because Nazi's thought of it first. In a few cases, they don't put in enough sodium thiopental, so the person being put to death is conscious during the process. Along with suffering cardiac arrest, they cannot move since they were paralysed by the muscle relaxant. Hell, even the constitutionality of it is questionable.

I'd assume that being headless and all would negate any sort of pain to begin with... XD
    There are rumours that a person is still alive for 10 seconds after being decapitated, but I don't believe it.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    If that were so, the nerves firing to the brain (or lack thereof), wouldn't occur, so there would be no pain to be felt, because there is no longer a connection. Plus there is the fact that if anything (not the cleanest cut), the nerves would be so over stimulated, you probably wouldn't feel a thing.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    I used to be a strong opponent of capital punishment, however...I'm not so sure anymore.

Putting someone to death over their actions is really...barbaric and primitive. While on one hand this is true, I don't believe in the idea of allowing someone to "rot in prison" if they show no remorse for their actions, and are not capable of being re released into society. My view of jail is to help someone acknowledge their crimes, with the intent of helping them recover psychologically, in hopes that they may repent, and do some good for the world. Not strictly to live out the rest of their existence in a cell, in order to pay strict retribution.

So...I guess I'm really undecided at this point =/

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    If that were so, the nerves firing to the brain (or lack thereof), wouldn't occur, so there would be no pain to be felt, because there is no longer a connection. Plus there is the fact that if anything (not the cleanest cut), the nerves would be so over stimulated, you probably wouldn't feel a thing.

I don't know what you mean by the second par(since pancuronium doesn't affect awareness)t, but I'm guessing what you are talking about in the second part is the fight-or-flight response. I don't know about the accuracy of that, but I haven't heard of prisoners having symptoms that clearly state it.

Years

If that worked this way, these crimes would have disappeared centuries ago, pretty much when the death penalty appeared, don't you think?

As was stated in a post above this one of yours, Went, it's the thrill factor of illegality (basically, an adrenaline rush) that people get. That and people's thought processes get muddled very, very easily. Greed and hatred are a mental states/emotions that can overpower just about anything. They can lead even a very rational person to rationalize: "Oh, I won't get caught! I'm the most careful person ever! I have the perfect plan!"

Also, I frankly don't care either way about the death penalty. Having done some research on it, both are about equally costly in the long run.

Back