• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] The Evolution I needed most

Necnix

The Meme Dream
Years
    • Seen May 30, 2018
    Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee were, as you're no doubt aware, announced earlier today. And... y'know what, screw the formalities.

I needed this game.

I have no more than once or twice been able to bring myself to finish a Pokemon game. (I can't even remember if i fully finished X- i just KNOW that i finished Omega Ruby.) But... why is that?

Put simply- Battles sucked. At the casual level, every. single. battle. was. the. same. From battling and catching wild Pokemon, to battling basic trainers, to some of the better Gym leaders, there was no variation in mechanics, very little variation in difficulty, and rarely in most games- due to the lack of sufficient sound hardware 4/7 generations- The music just wasn't enough to keep me emotionally gripped.

Omega Ruby changed this. From the classic Route 113 to Wally's theme, every song i heard kept me hooked to the DS. I never felt bored, no matter how monotonous battling became; Omega Ruby, put simply, had masterful sound design. Wally's theme was packed full of emotion, he's come from nothing- he was weak, and now he has dreams, aspirations, he's made it this far and he's going to give it his all against you. And that's just one example.

Pokemon: Let's go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee seem to have reversed this idea, keeping battles unique through variation in gameplay. While we can't say much about music, i have no doubt it'll be good, but i have all my doubts that it'll beat Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphie.

By implementing Pokemon Go's capture mechanics, reminiscent of the Safari zones of old, to wild Pokemon battles, they've inadvertently- or maybe intentionally- probably intentionally- created an almost perfect alternation between Wild Pokemon battles and Trainer battles, thanks to the layout of Pokemon Yellow (And Red and Blue, but this game IS based on Yellow) spreading out trainer battles between the grass almost perfectly. However, the design counts for nothing if the alternation isn't there to line up with it. And now it is.

They've made Wild battles and Trainer battles completely unique, and combined with the already existing design of Pokemon Yellow they've hit a perfect ratio that will help to always keep you excited for what's coming next.
    And that's exactly what i needed.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So you can't fight wild pokémon anymore? You just toss balls at them?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • So you can't fight wild pokémon anymore? You just toss balls at them?

Looks that way. They roam the overworld in grass areas, caves etc and then you encounter them like in GO but are taken straight to the capture screen rather than having the chance to weaken them.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • It has been confirmed that you can't fight wild pokemon, but you can fight trainers as seen when the two players verse a trainer on what looks like nugget bridge.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    It has been confirmed that you can't fight wild pokemon, but you can fight trainers as seen when the two players verse a trainer on what looks like nugget bridge.

Also, the battle screen looks very traditional - levels, exp and HP. I wonder how the levelling system is going to work with no wild Pokemon to battle.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Also, the battle screen looks very traditional - levels, exp and HP. I wonder how the levelling system is going to work with no wild Pokemon to battle.

Seeing as the apparent emphasis on Pokemon Go crossplay, I imagine some candy type system could be in use, much to my irritation.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Perhaps captures will just grant generic EXP rather than candies, could even add steps based EXP and small bonuses for finding items etc. . They won't be able to consolidate candies/evolution/exp together. Unless they want it impossible to get Gyarados etc.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I'm excited for these games but skeptical of the Pokemon Go capture mechanics. Pokemon has gotten so repetitive at this point though that I'd rather they take a lot of risks and have a few of them not pay off than have no risks at all. Variety is the spice of life. If USUM is perfect to you and every game should be like USUM, play USUM. Pokemon 2019 sounds like it'll return to a more standard formula too.

You raise a good point in this post, though. Too often I find myself just fleeing from wild battles unless I want to grind, so maybe this change is welcome. Keep things different.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Different is not always good. No one thinks USUM is a perfect game lol, you just assumed that. But we'll see how it goes in November.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Different is not always good. No one thinks USUM is a perfect game lol, you just assumed that. But we'll see how it goes in November.

Yes, different is not always good, hence why I said: "I'd rather they take a lot of risks and have a few of them not pay off than have no risks at all" I personally, speaking for myself and myself only (as I had throughout my previous post), want to see GameFreak take some risks and do things they think are cool. If a couple of them miss the mark, that's still worth it to me as long as the other changes are super cool and make the game feel different to the last one.

And I didn't assume anyone thinks USUM is perfect? I said: "If USUM is perfect to you and every game should be like USUM, play USUM" Even that was hyperbole which I thought was obvious, but I'll rephrase to get the point across better: if you like the gameplay of previous installments and don't want to see major revisions, you can play those previous installments. I think there should always be some expectation that a new game will bring some changes to mix up the formula.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • The lack of wild battles is -almost- a deal breaker for me. I was hoping that the Go capture mexhanics would come into play when youvtoss a ball but youd still have to weaken the Pokemon.

I wonder how Professor Oak's tutorial is going to changed. I guess now its dangerous to travel without Pokeballs, not Pokemon lol

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I love it. I find battles boring too but the potential here for so much other content is sooo exciting. Legit this game is gonna be amazing without having to battle and grind. Pokemon is for exploring and capturing imo, who h is why it suits me perfectly.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • On the fence about the whole catching system. I've never played GO before, so I'm new to these mechanics.

I enjoy weakening wild Pokémon and catching them the regular way. I've grinded in every game so far, but now it looks like the only time you can actually battle is by challenging trainers and gyms. Game Freak had better add some kind of rematch system if this is the case...

Still, I'm excited for the games. :)

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • On your link it looks like multiple saves have been confirmed... which is great.

On how co-op works…

"The bottom line… is that it really is to make the second player a support role. So the idea is that it's the first player's adventure. If you only have one Switch in the house and there are siblings, each sibling can start their own game."

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    I agree with you for the most part, except that all of the changes added aren't all good, likethe catching system. But I guess that's subjective,

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2018
    I completely agree with the OP. I feel like there is room in the Pokémon Community for both hardcore and casual games. Often times playing through the games as they are now I find myself getting burned out trying to catch Pokémon with the right combination of Nature and Abilities (not to mention IV's). I also get burned out running from countless Wild Battles and often I get annoyed at how difficult it is to just walk through the game once I have the team I want to play with. I think a game streamlined for a straight play through is just what the Nurse Joy ordered. No need to get bogged down with competitive "musts", just have fun playing the game.

Ive always said my two favorite games were Pokémon Yellow and Heartgold so this game with its mechanics, new features, and streamlined gameplay is, IMO, perfect and necessary.

Last edited:
    Back