• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] The First Journey & Red's Journey West v.10

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Oh thanks for the reply!

My PC has Intel Core 17-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz / 16 Gb Ram / & Invidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
    I'm on up-to-date Windows 10, just did a virus scan too

Actually, while I put together this comment, I'm doing my own testing.

I'm running the game at fast-forward pretty much 99% of the time. (I feel like the default speed is kind of slow..? Maybe just me?) But, I was able to complete a long route with no crashing on default speed. I think it may be the unique way that the game is sped-up.. It's a cool feature to have - not to accidentally overlook story parts - but it seems to really mess with the game's run stability on fast-forward. Especially, when saving on fast-forward. (The game always saves luckily! But does crash right after.) And there's no error text, the game only freezes what it's doing, I'll click the screen, and then it does the standard "not responding" screen.

I'd maybe consider adding an alternative fast-forward method if that's even possible at this point, or take out the "no-fast-forwarding-on-cutscenes" feature of it? I'm not even gonna pretend to understand the nuisances of coding these games, just throwing out ideas, since I've never had problems fast-forwarding games before. But I'll try later on a laptop and see if I run into the same issue. ^^' I'm willing to test if you do make any changes. I only say these criticisms because I care a lot about this game! ;v;

Alright, thanks for clarifying the issue, seems to be related to the recently added speedup feature (the script itself, not the fact that it's being disabled at certain parts). Some people can replicate it, it seems, but I can't on my end. In any case I've made some slight adjustments, I'm sending a file over. If that doesn't work, I'm removing the speedup altogether for v2.5 until we replace it in v2.6. Thanks a lot!
    The game runs at 60fps most of the time and is generally very smooth, so I'm not sure why it feels slower to you, but I'm giving that a look just in case too.

Hey if it weren't for reports and feedback there'd be no improvement, so don't feel hesitant at all. Also really glad you like the story! It's the main focus after all!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    Alright, thanks for clarifying the issue, seems to be related to the recently added speedup feature (the script itself, not the fact that it's being disabled at certain parts). Some people can replicate it, it seems, but I can't on my end. In any case I've made some slight adjustments, I'm sending a file over. If that doesn't work, I'm removing the speedup altogether for v2.5 until we replace it in v2.6. Thanks a lot!
    The game runs at 60fps most of the time and is generally very smooth, so I'm not sure why it feels slower to you, but I'm giving that a look just in case too.

Hey if it weren't for reports and feedback there'd be no improvement, so don't feel hesitant at all. Also really glad you like the story! It's the main focus after all!

Ah you're so considerate and fast! I installed the parts you sent, it seems to be working a lot better already. I can't even trigger crashes on purpose now. Yeah, I think that was it. (:

edit: I did get one crash after a little around 15 minutes of play, but it's definitely something I can push through now

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    A new update is out, fixing the aforementioned crashing problem.
    v 2.5 Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    Review time!! ♡

- Story -
    A rollercoaster ride of feelings, conspiracies, lore, and relationships that slowly piece together into a twisting, elaborate story. The pace of the plot takes its time and doesn't feel rushed, but it doesn't spoon-feed every detail either. Instead it leaves the player to come up with their own conclusions, and see this old region as something new, intriguing, wonderfully mysterious and ready to explore. The characters, dialogue, and writing leaves a story that dwells with you even after the game has passed.

- Graphics -
    Polished with newer graphics that enrich the world without straying far from canon Kanto. Here lie more of the "off-limits" areas of Kanto that are brought into focus, as beautiful new areas that still feel realistic to the area and geography. Towns and cities have all been pushed-back several decades into a re-imagined look of Kanto with landmarks that bring just enough nostalgia and recognition without copying the canon game. Sprites and moves are all animated, and there's a day/night system that show gorgeously in the battle-backgrounds.

- Music -
    Sounds believable for canon games. If you don't mind listening to pokemon soundtracks, leave the music on, it adds some story cues.

- Difficulty -
    Refreshing level of difficulty that isn't just grinding levels. Not a terribly hard game, but it takes a getting used to not having all the bells and whistles of a modern trainer. The difficulty is pertinent to the story - namely resource management and pacing your pokemon, but there's a few good boss fights that took me a couple tries. You don't need to grind EVs or anything, good Natures are helpful but not necessary.

- Bugs -
    There's still a couple of rare random crashes, but nothing that's stopped me from progressing.

- Gameplay -
    You primarily explore and battle for the game, pretty normal for a pokemon setting. A lot of standard features like the Pokedex aren't around - something that makes the Kanto wilderness feel pressingly alien and isolated. It's really just you and your pokemon. Encounters and trainers seem appropriately scaled that they're challenges but not too hard or too easy. The game feels professionally presented and played through. There's some easter eggs too.

- Game time / Length -
    A little shorter than the franchise games, I think? About 10.5 hours to complete for me, from start screen to credits.

- Critiques - (spoilers)
    Spoiler:

And last, a quick nod to the developer, who cares greatly for their players. Thank you for making this game, I hope others are encouraged give it a try! You can look forward to the novel on PSFE soon. :))

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Review time!! ♡

- Story -
    A rollercoaster ride of feelings, conspiracies, lore, and relationships that slowly piece together into a twisting, elaborate story. The pace of the plot takes its time and doesn't feel rushed, but it doesn't spoon-feed every detail either. Instead it leaves the player to come up with their own conclusions, and see this old region as something new, intriguing, wonderfully mysterious and ready to explore. The characters, dialogue, and writing leaves a story that dwells with you even after the game has passed.

- Graphics -
    Polished with newer graphics that enrich the world without straying far from canon Kanto. Here lie more of the "off-limits" areas of Kanto that are brought into focus, as beautiful new areas that still feel realistic to the area and geography. Towns and cities have all been pushed-back several decades into a re-imagined look of Kanto with landmarks that bring just enough nostalgia and recognition without copying the canon game. Sprites and moves are all animated, and there's a day/night system that show gorgeously in the battle-backgrounds.

- Music -
    Sounds believable for canon games. If you don't mind listening to pokemon soundtracks, leave the music on, it adds some story cues.

- Difficulty -
    Refreshing level of difficulty that isn't just grinding levels. Not a terribly hard game, but it takes a getting used to not having all the bells and whistles of a modern trainer. The difficulty is pertinent to the story - namely resource management and pacing your pokemon, but there's a few good boss fights that took me a couple tries. You don't need to grind EVs or anything, good Natures are helpful but not necessary.

- Bugs -
    There's still a couple of rare random crashes, but nothing that's stopped me from progressing.

- Gameplay -
    You primarily explore and battle for the game, pretty normal for a pokemon setting. A lot of standard features like the Pokedex aren't around - something that makes the Kanto wilderness feel pressingly alien and isolated. It's really just you and your pokemon. Encounters and trainers seem appropriately scaled that they're challenges but not too hard or too easy. The game feels professionally presented and played through. There's some easter eggs too.

- Game time / Length -
    A little shorter than the franchise games, I think? About 10.5 hours to complete for me, from start screen to credits.

- Critiques - (spoilers)
    Spoiler:

And last, a quick nod to the developer, who cares greatly for their players. Thank you for making this game, I hope others are encouraged give it a try! You can look forward to the novel on PSFE soon. :))

Thank you so much for your detailed and well-thought review. We're really glad you liked the game this much! Hearing you picking up on and pointing out all those little touches is very rewarding. We're also looking into including a speedup feature that doesn't mess with the portrait scripts - unfortunately this won't be implemented right away. Also, we might drop a small update in the future to address the not very inspired non-important NPC dialogue. Again thanks a lot, we hope you have a great experience with the sequel too!

Years
  • I am playing this game and I love it, everything is great and stories perfectly relate to the original stories.

But the only one problem is LONG TEXTS and the button tapping for long...

Keep making wonderful games. Thank you...

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I am playing this game and I love it, everything is great and stories perfectly relate to the original stories.

But the only one problem is LONG TEXTS and the button tapping for long...

Keep making wonderful games. Thank you...

Thanks a lot for your support, I understand what you mean, hopefully we can make it a bit more compact in the future!

where should we buy pokeballs?

You need to make Pokeballs from the Apricorns you can grab from Apricorn Trees. Just give the apricorn to a local apricorn maker (they look like a vendor), pay them, and come back after a while.

and which generation is moveset belonging to?

Generation 6 mostly, with some movepools modified for mon usability.

Update 2.6 is here

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    can u reduce the number of pokemon the leader in viridian forest

No, sorry, there is a reason he has that many. Though I can definitely see why it might be considered a bit too much. I'll be waiting for more feedback and if a lot of people find it hard, we're gonna tone it down a bit. So far most players haven't had a problem.

Also, please don't forget to DL the latest version, everyone (2.7 now).

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    2.8 is out, mitigating some of the hanging errors, see changelog:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Completed the game and I gotta say I really liked this game. ​Gameplay was unique in how limited healing was. Felt nice to actually feel the need to use berries or ethers/elixirs as most games don't do that.

The story was really good and the ending had me super into it the upcoming story and left me wanting to know more. The philosophical aspect was something I wasn't expecting and made the game's story so much better. The character interactions between the main crew was really good and made them feel fleshed out as real people. I loved the nostalgia aspect of the game and seeing certain pieces fall into place with the main Kanto games. The visuals and graphics are super good too.

I haven't played PSFE yet so obviously things don't really make sense to me but one nitpick I have is with the exposition and how the mystery people REALLY like playing the pronoun game. They dodge around names super hard. I get the reasoning behind concealing info but it doesn't feel completely natural in their dialogue like "You are.. one of THEM" or "We must find HER." The bolded text makes it awkward.

Really liked the game though and am excited to try out PSFE. Keep up the good work!

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2022
    How to patch? I downloaded the game 3 days ago and now the boat on route 12 does not appear after I went back once to get more balls for Gyarados. The updated version from 1 day ago says this was fixed, but how do I update my safegame? It seems I'm softlocked currenty.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Completed the game and I gotta say I really liked this game. ​Gameplay was unique in how limited healing was. Felt nice to actually feel the need to use berries or ethers/elixirs as most games don't do that.

The story was really good and the ending had me super into it the upcoming story and left me wanting to know more. The philosophical aspect was something I wasn't expecting and made the game's story so much better. The character interactions between the main crew was really good and made them feel fleshed out as real people. I loved the nostalgia aspect of the game and seeing certain pieces fall into place with the main Kanto games. The visuals and graphics are super good too.

I haven't played PSFE yet so obviously things don't really make sense to me but one nitpick I have is with the exposition and how the mystery people REALLY like playing the pronoun game. They dodge around names super hard. I get the reasoning behind concealing info but it doesn't feel completely natural in their dialogue like "You are.. one of THEM" or "We must find HER." The bolded text makes it awkward.

Really liked the game though and am excited to try out PSFE. Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot for your review! Really glad the nostalgia hit you the right way. Regarding the exposition, sorry about that, TFJ was hastily put together and only improved upon in later iterations. I know you are on discord, so if you could spare the time to go over those precise moments and help me trim down the exposition - it would be immensely helpful. Also, there is a reason for the usage of the adjectives, I think you can get that idea from what
    Spoiler:

How to patch? I downloaded the game 3 days ago and now the boat on route 12 does not appear after I went back once to get more balls for Gyarados. The updated version from 1 day ago says this was fixed, but how do I update my safegame? It seems I'm softlocked currenty.

No need to patch, simply extract the game on a different folder and play. Please note that while the boat wasn't visible you could still talk to the ferryman. Does the ferryman NOT appear for you? If that's the case, may I see your savefile please?

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2022
    The ferryman does not appear at all, and neither does the boat. Which file is the savefile? I'll PM it to you

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    The ferryman does not appear at all, and neither does the boat. Which file is the savefile? I'll PM it to you

It's "game.rxdata" located under C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Saved Games\PS_The First Journey. You can either send it on discord, or zip it and upload it to a temp file hosting site, and give me the link.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Version 2.9 is out, fixing a potential softlock caused by unintended backtracking, and introducing the ability to fly to any town post-saffron.

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Version 2.9.1. is out, fixing a potential softlocking bug caused by the introduction of the fly system.

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    No offense but this game is way too hard. the early game trainers were way too high leveled and the fact that there isn't anywhere for me to heal made it so that I was constantly having to win most of the early battles on my second try after I blacked out the first time. I know the game is supposed to be hard and that the 'no pokemon centers' ties into the lore but jeez man. This might just be me but whenever I think about a difficult pokemon game I'm always inclined to wonder if it's "TOO difficult" and when that question comes up I answer it by asking myself the question "could I realistically beat this with normal nuzlocke rules" and if not I'd usually consider toning it down a notch. granted I've never actually made a game before. Most of my ideas are just that; ideas, so I'm not gonna try and tell you what to do with YOUR game. It's just something that I thought you might wanna think about. I like hard games from time to time but personally I think this was the equivalent of me saying "yea I like a little bit of spice in my food" and then getting served a plate of ghost peppers. Still enjoyed the game tho.

Back