• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Great Video Game Music Challenge! [Over!]

pkmin3033

The Great Video Game Music Challenge!

The Great Video Game Music Challenge! [Over!]

Welcome Ladies, Gentleman, and all those outside and in-between these definitions, to the Great Video Game Music Challenge! We've had 30 Day Challenges, ratings threads, and threads about favourite something-or-others in the past, so this won't be an entirely unfamiliar concept. This challenge will combine all of these aspects, as well as add in something a little extra to make it more interesting from time-to-time! Expect generic questions, strange prompts, a list or two, and maybe a Name That Tune or two if I can figure out how to work the software that would be required for it.

Feel free to just post a link or video in response, but try to give a little background where applicable about why you've picked what you picked, or some thoughts about the game it came from in general. Let's make it interesting :3

Thread will be updated between 7am and 8am GMT every day...probably.

The Challenge

Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/can remember hearing
    Day 2 - The theme of a boss that killed you repeatedly
    Day 3 - Scenery Challenge I
    Day 4 - A track that fills you with dread
    Day 5 - A track you hate from a game you like
    Day 6 -Franchise Challenge I: Final Fantasy
    Day 7 - A track from the last game you played
    Day 8 - A fan remix that you think sounds better than the original track
    Day 9 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 1] - Your Character Theme
    Day 10 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 2] - Your Town Theme
    Day 11- Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 3] - Your Overworld Theme
    Day 12- Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 4] - The Villain's Theme
    Day 13 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 5] - Battle Theme
    Day 14 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 6] - Dungeon Theme
    Day 15 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 7] - Boss Theme
    Day 16 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 8] - Ending Credits
    Day 17 - A track you've heard so much that you're sick of it
    Day 18 - Franchise Challenge II: The Legend of Zelda
    Credits for the CSS go to Sopheria, because I can't CSS

Last edited:

pkmin3033

This one is pretty self-explanatory: what is the first video game music track you ever heard? Or can remember hearing if, like me, you're old and have trouble remembering the 90s. For bonus points, tell us what you thought of the game it came from, and how you feel about it now! One of your favourites, or something you quickly forgot?

Years
  • Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/can remember hearing

Probably the Overworld Theme from Super Mario World. I think that was one of the first games I came into contact with prior to Pokemon. I thought the game was more interesting as a child, I think. The older I got the less I seemed to be into Mario games, but the introduction of Yoshi in particular was my favorite aspect of that game.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/can remember hearing​

Tough question. Games have kinda been with me all my life, so this idea of "firsts" is mostly foreign in that sense. Athletic from Super Mario World was definitely around as a kid, but then again, so were Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros.. Gonna go with that, though, since it was the first one to come to mind.

pkmin3033

Nothing says I can't take part in my own challenge shhh

This one is actually very easy for me: the Overworld theme from Super Mario Land. My first console was a Nintendo Gameboy with Super Mario Land and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan. I started up the former first, and that was the first theme I heard. I guess it's stuck with me a little, although Easton Kingdom's theme is the more memorable track.

I suppose technically I heard the original invincibility theme for Sonic the Hedgehog first, because I watched the TV series as a kid long before I got my Gameboy, but that doesn't really count =P

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/ can remember hearing

Hmmm... for me, I believe it would be the themes from Summon Night, specifically Summon Night 2's main theme coming into the game.

Keep in mind, this wasn't the first video game I played, but I wasn't really into listening to the music tracks of video games, nor I could remember them much because I've played so many, so, Summon Night was the first one that comes to mind when I was younger.

I was really into Summon Night back then while the games were out for North America, and I really liked their soundtracks, so, I decided to look them up! Of course I wasn't really into going on the computer as I am now so I didn't know anything about Youtube and whatnot, but, it was worth learning! I think shortly I listened to the battle themes from Pokemon Stadium 1, but I think Summon Night came first.

If you wanna be more technical, then I guess it'd be the Mario Bros. Main theme, or Pokemon Yellow's Professor Oak/Pallet Town's theme. Either or!

Last edited:

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/can remember hearing

I think it was the Peach's Castle theme in SM64. I was probably three back then though so it's hard to know exactly.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Day 1 - The first track you ever heard/ can remember hearing

Not completely sure, but it might have been the music from the first stage of Kirby's Dreamland. Afaik it's called "Green Greens". However it might have just been the title screen music of the same game. Honestly, I don't remember, but since it's the first game I ever owned, it would make sense.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years

The first track I can remember hearing was from the game SkyRoads. I distinctly remember that the game would make a loud *thunk* beat every time you jumped and it would just sound like its part of the music.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years

Type A is carved into the halls of my brain. I can recall a fair amount of compositions, but Type A is the only track that I can vividly remember hearing from my childhood.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years

To be completely honest, i never heard or cared about video game BGMs until N2O Nitrous Oxide came into my life at the time i got Legend of Dragoon during the glorious days of the PSX.

It was a whole afternoon and I was playing N2O all day, everyday, killing those creepy crawly bugs, supermurdering them with my ship and my trippy music.

These are just samples of the game's music, made by American music duo The Crystal METHod. Yes, this is the kind of music that you are listening to while you're playing a game that's all about flying through a tunnel system while you indulge yourself in some REALLY TRIPPY GRAPHICS, Bug blasting supermurder, and mindless gameplay. Its everything the 90s was all about.

At times, we often think that there's music made for the game. In N2O's case, it may have been a game made for the music! But then again, when the Crystal Method does your video game's music, expect a lot of trippy things.

Bay

Years

Like Arc, the same Tetris song. I remember seeing my uncle playing the game when my family and I visited Oregon long, long ago and that theme I never forget since.

pkmin3033

We've all been there - getting that stuck on that one boss. It's practically a guarantee that if you play video games with bosses, eventually one of them is going to take you out. Then do it again. And again. And again. So, for Day 2, let' hear some of their battle themes! Pick one from a boss that gave you hell and post it up. Was it something that stuck in your mind because of how good it was, or because you heard it so many times you got sick of it? Share :3

Tomorrow will be something a little different - please be excited! /shot

Years
  • Day 2 - The theme of a boss that killed you repeatedly

My memory is failing me right now, so what comes to mind right now is a theme from a game I've been playing recently: Patchouli Knowledge's Theme - Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room from Touhou 6: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Oh god those "zunpets" grating my ears..." Patchouli Knowledge is the boss I'm currently stuck on in the game. I have yet to defeat her without having to use continues. I imagine I'll get stuck on the later boss characters too at some point... God knows when...
    To be honest, this theme is much better when remixed with better sound quality... x'D

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Day 2 - The theme of a boss that killed you repeatedly

Decided rule out any bullet hells because that would make this too easy.
    The final boss of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 3. I didn't expect to need to grind a metric crap ton in order to take her down, and even then I won based off of luck.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Looking back, there've been quite a few bosses who gave me a run for my money. However, in that case the music itself never really stuck on my head, probably because a lot of them just use the default boss music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8sViiHdVZo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD5loQLPEro

Those are some of the more memorable battles that I had in the past. Dullahan in Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Mike Tyson in I Wanna Be The Guy. I somehow managed to beat both of them, but it took forever. Honorable mentions also to Pluto in Tales of Phantasia, who was a pain to deal with, as well. However, iirk, they just play the normal Fighting of the Spirits theme for him.

pkmin3033

That particular piece plays during the final battle of the game, where you fight Dracula and Death...at the same time. It took me months of repeated failure to beat this fight. Attacking Dracula whilst Death runs about causing merry hell - often getting right in your face - is not easy, and dodging both of them at once isn't easy either, because of course Dracula is chucking fireballs/meteors at your face too. Never mind the combo attacks the two will do from time to time which are nearly undodgeable unless you flee to the opposite side of the room, crouch, and pray to god they don't hit you, which they often will anyway.

Most Castlevania bosses have patterns, which make them easy to predict even if they're sometimes hard to kill. Dracula and Death don't. They do whatever they feel like, whenever they feel like it. The unpredictability of the fight makes it harder than a lot of the more unforgiving boss battles with set patterns, because you can fall into routine and react on memory. You really need to pay attention in this fight.

...and then if you can get Dracula's health down enough, they COMBINE. It's like the Gurren Lagann of boss battles. He flies about like a maniac. Has a crush attack that will kill you instantly if you don't repel his wings. Has a crapton of health you need to deplete again.

I can do this battle now with little difficulty, but this was the hardest battle I'd ever fought for years. That theme still makes me cringe a little.

Back