• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Feedback Request: The Mall

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Hey there everyone!

The higher staff is looking for some feedback on how the Mall has done during it's trial run! We want to see how members feel about it and it's future, its time, and its overall presence on the forum. As many of you contributed to it during it's trial run in the Forum Frontier, we'd like to hear from you before we render any decisions on it.

Let us know your thoughts and thank you!

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I feel like it was a great idea going in and posting at first, but after a few weeks it just seemed a bit parallel to The Treehouse, with threads which could be placed in either category. I feel like it was a bit confusing at times, and was easy to place a mall topic in the treehouse and vice versa. I did enjoy posting in there, though, with its recommended topics of discussion, while I feel like they could have easily fit into TT (especially with the DCC's frequent discussion of the weather.)

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I think it was confusing because everyone was still deciding what was to go in the forum & not everyone actively checked the mall to see what to post in it.

I also think that the forum would benefit from the additional topics of travel and home/gardening projects. Regardless, I think it's a fun forum and have enjoyed having it around :)

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I think moreover the issue is there really hasn't been any enforcement as to where threads go. There was a lot of flip flopping going on as to where threads need to go, and thus created this confusion we see today. It's not that these two forums are "parallel", but the fact that if there were threads existing in The Treehouse when it belonged in The Mall it needed to be moved. I personally haven't seen any of these threads - granted I haven't visited The Treehouse in awhile - but if you did see some parallels then the threads needed to be reported so the moderators/super moderators could move them to the right place.

The Mall activity wise is doing great. Threads and post counts have been good for its trial run, and this activity seems to continue. It still needs to be refined in terms of events, but it's on the right track for the time it's been allotted to exist. We still need to decide whether or not travel belongs in The Mall, but the three f's - Fitness, Fashion, and Food - is a formula that does work but needs enforcement on the staff level.

To conclude the trial period for The Mall has been a positive one in my opinion. It has concrete topics that can be differentiated with The Treehouse. We need to work as a team though to make the threads belong in the right area. We've made a good footing, but now it's time to pave a path for us to continue to follow.

Years
    Honestly once it settled down, once the regular posters established a kind of rhythm and a clearer focus on what was going in there, the section made more sense, and I enjoy(ed) posting in there. I would like it to be it's own forum - I get the fact that topics from it can go in the Treehouse, but a specified forum that gives the kind of the topics the Mall covers a chance to shine on their own merit while not hurting Treehouse's activity in any way is a win-win in my opinion.

Last edited:

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    branching the mall out from the treehouse broadened our horizons on topics for threads. now instead of there just being threads on pizza and chocolate we have discussions on fitness, eating habits, and fashion which are three things that the treehouse lacked focus in. i thought matt's food fight challenges and kyoko's cooking challenge were nice additions that made the mall unique. i hope the mall is with us to stay, i have a food segment of my own i'd love to add.

Sirfetch’d

I wanted the Mall to be a thing, which is why I nominated it in the first place. When it was initially created though, I felt like there was too much division between it and the treehouse and that neither forum was going to benefit from it. That said, once people settled in and there was a more distinct differentiation between the two places, I see now that they can live side by side. The Treehouse hasn't suffered much from the Mall's activity and if anything, has cleaned it up quite nicely. It's a tough call though on whether it should stay. I can certainly see it working but I guess it boils down to "is it necessary?" Excited to see what you guys decide though.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I really like it. It makes a bit more sense then the treehouse's more random threads. Activtiy is slightly lower than other forums, but that happens to every forum after some time. Even Sun and Moon are getting a lot less attention.

Years
    Not going to lie, I was not particularly happy with the Mall at first. It seemed like it was just Treehouse 2.0 and it had a severe lack of direction. I still think the section would do well with having a mod or two, but as it stands I think it's developed a seperate and distinct userbase to the Treehouse and has also established itself as a forum with direction and a reason to exist as opposed to the mess it was when it first came about.

So, I'm pretty happy for The Mall to continue existing so long as it continues receiving direction and moderation. Mind you, it wouldn't bother me for it to disappear either.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I liked the Mall being separate, because it seems like it has a different crowd and it did start having different topics than the Treehouse. I've posted in there on my main account before. It's kinda nice to have a place to wander into if you wanna talk about fitness, and food and what not without. Without having to shuffle through Treehouse threads to find those specific things.

I mean, the mall slowed down a bit but still it's not like it's dead. I'd like to see it stick around.

Years
    I actually agree with most of the posts so far, having The Mall as its own section and like Gimme said, it has seemed to develop its own bunch of established regulars, so having it separate from Treehouse allows for some better organization of the topics, along with the events that have also been going on.

Also, like Chase said the section hasn't hurt Treehouse's activity so all it needs is some extra moderation and I'm sure it'll continue growing from there.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I have two predominant issues with The Mall which stop me from wanting it as a permanent fixture on PC.

The first is that The Mall very arbitrarily groups together three topics which are only loosely related, not providing a truly specific venue for any of them. Aside from the fact that you'd find them in, well, a mall, there's nothing that actually unites "food, fashion, and fitness" without selectively excluding other topics; as we saw during its early days, when we branded The Mall as a "lifestyle" forum we had massive issues with defining the section and had to limit it to fewer topics instead. But what, aside from the theme, actually unites those topics? I can't really think of anything that hasn't come about as a consequence of either a) The Mall's early forced redefining or b) the thematic idea of a mall.

This leads me to believe that The Mall serves simply as a "just because" venue for these topics because it's something that the community decided upon. This, in itself, is fine - after all, that's what the community was promised when Forum Frontier was initially concieved - but when we look at The Mall as a candidate for a long-term place on PC we need to put aside the reason why it was initially made and look at it as a fully fledged forum in its own right. When I try to do that, I honestly can't say I see any sense in creating a forum for the purpose of simulating a mall on PC. I just can't see why it's something that we'd want to do and I'm fairly convinced that if I'd have gone into CQ&F or HQ or whatever and said "guys, how about a forum that's basically anything you'd find in a shopping centre?" I'd just be met with some confused looks. There's no real rationale for segregating topics in this way. The overarching point here is that The Mall separates topics based only on the theme of a mall which is not a real, practical reason to move them away from other places on PC.

Which leads me to my next point - we already have a venue for everything The Mall covers, particularly when you consider the previous point that The Mall has no real reason to be loaded with the topics that it's loaded with: The Treehouse. Now, it's great that The Treehouse didn't see reduced activity due to the presence of The Mall, but at the same time the fact remains that The Mall's topics previously went into The Treehouse. Therefore we cannot say with certainty that The Mall has not harmed The Treehouse in terms of scope; instead, I'd suggest that The Treehouse's activity has increased to compensate for the siphoning of its topics into The Mall. This is all well and good but the fact remains that The Treehouse is missing topics which it used to have due to the presence of The Mall. The previous reason for this, as I mentioned earlier, was because the community voted for it but now that this reason is being put aside, I don't see any other one; The Treehouse is still being split apart here and the nature of topics in The Mall is still very well-fitting for The Treehouse. I'd argue, therefore, that there's no reason why The Mall's topics couldn't work elsewhere, and that we already have a very strong section to take back its topics should it be dissolved - the very section which all of its content came out of in the first place.

tl;dr, The Mall is an unessecary way to sort topics which aren't well-connected to each other and we already have, and already did have before The Mall's creation, a section highly suited to take The Mall's material. It's not neccessary now that its respective Forum Frontier has ended, so merge it into The Treehouse.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Mod Kyoko and give the forum some extra niches. The Treehouse is very off-topic while the The Mall has the capacity to focus on lifestyle threads more acutely, which would actually be a good thing for PC. A little culture discussion would do the forums no harm.

Last edited:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    let's just merge all the forums to make one big blanket forum!! we'll call it the everything forum. oh man, it would be so active. and no more confusion over where to put that topic, wouldn't that be nice. I mean, we don't need to explore our member's interests in-depth, that would just be silly

The first is that The Mall very arbitrarily groups together three topics which are only loosely related, not providing a truly specific venue for any of them. Aside from the fact that you'd find them in, well, a mall, there's nothing that actually unites "food, fashion, and fitness" without selectively excluding other topics
    isn't that what general entertainment does with "movies" "books" and "sports" lol

Nihilego

Years
    let's just merge all the forums to make one big blanket forum!! we'll call it the everything forum. oh man, it would be so active. and no more confusion over where to put that topic, wouldn't that be nice. I mean, we don't need to explore our member's interests in-depth, that would just be silly

isn't that what general entertainment does with "movies" "books" and "sports" lol

well no because it's all entertainment

Nihilego

Years
    that's just as ambiguous as "lifestyle". I am so confused

I'm not getting your point. That's exactly the problem we had at the start of The Mall, and I said that in my post. We said it was for "lifestyle" and everyone was confused and said it was too ambiguous and it was a nightmare. So it was changed to "mall things like food and fashion and fitness" which solved the problem but isn't actually a topic in itself like "lifestyle" or "entertainment" would be.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    well no because it's all entertainment

While this thread is supposed to be for opinions & I respect them all, I wanted to throw my two cents in reeeeal quick about this. I honestly don't find them random at all, I think food, fashion, fitness and travel all fit within the lifestyle umbrella. When you go through a magazine, you'll find workout tips, fashion advice, travel destinations and recipes because they all deal with lifestyle.

The other reason those were chosen was to help create more distinction/clarify what should be posted in the section. I certainly don't think it needs to stay within just those few topics, but it helped clear some of the initial confusion.

Nihilego

Years
    While this thread is supposed to be for opinions & I respect them all, I wanted to throw my two cents in reeeeal quick about this. I honestly don't find them random at all, I think food, fashion, fitness and travel all fit within the lifestyle umbrella. When you go through a magazine, you'll find workout tips, fashion advice, travel destinations and recipes because they all deal with lifestyle.

The other reason those were chosen was to help create more distinction/clarify what should be posted in the section. I certainly don't think it needs to stay within just those few topics, but it helped clear some of the initial confusion.

For sure, you're definitely right in that those are all lifestyle topics - but they alone aren't enough to make it a whole generalised lifestyle forum. If we stick to just those three we've got either a) a mall-themed forum (which imo doesn't make any sense) or b) a food, fitness and fashion forum which are just three arbitrarily picked lifestyle topics with no real rhyme or reason behind them once you take away their original context (and if you leave the original context there, we cycle back to point a)).

While I'm sure The Mall could incorporate some more lifestyle topics, this'd involve an overhaul of both The Treehouse and The Mall (plus somehow having to come up with a hard definition of what qualifies as "lifestyle") which is a different discussion entirely.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    For sure, you're definitely right in that those are all lifestyle topics - but they alone aren't enough to make it a whole generalised lifestyle forum. If we stick to just those three we've got either a) a mall-themed forum (which imo doesn't make any sense) or b) a food, fitness and fashion forum which are just three arbitrarily picked lifestyle topics with no real rhyme or reason behind them once you take away their original context (and if you leave the original context there, we cycle back to point a)).

While I'm sure The Mall could incorporate some more lifestyle topics, this'd involve an overhaul of both The Treehouse and The Mall (plus somehow having to come up with a hard definition of what qualifies as "lifestyle") which is a different discussion entirely.

Wouldn't then the issue be the naming of the forum? Those three things can coexist together. It's just that if it's a lifestyle forum, the name has to better represent the area. Plus, there was talk of expanding the forum topics to not only those three F's, but health and travel as well (expanding on the lifestyles idea.) Conceptually the idea is there, but it's a little rough around the edges and just needs to be refined.

Back