• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Grass monotype challenge update 3:

Spoiler:

The Monotype Challenge

So many things were done here. Mainly:
    Spoiler:

Update No something:

- Fooled around the Safari zone and got lost on the first try. The good part, a Naughty male exeggcute was caught, now named MileyDyrus.
    - Still missed an item on the second try but got the Surf HM. Also caught a bunch pokemon for the sake of Dexfilling (Adamant Tauros (again monotype trolling ensured), Bashful Kangaskhan (more monotype trolling), and a Naive Rhyhorn, and some Nidorans. Encountered a Venomoth but missed) = TROLLED Hard by the monotype hype!!!

Fire Red Throwback has the reusable TMs implemented, so TM usage is definitely encouraged! And because its such a nice improvement hack for FireRed, I'll definitely keep playing this savefile after the challenge is done!

Last edited:
    Years
    So, I have one update done in Gold now for my fighting monotype, but I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. I can't find a Heracross. Like, anywhere. According to basically everywhere online, it should be available in headbutt trees in any route between New Bark and Azalea. I have literally put in hours over a few different attempts headbutting trees in every route there, and got nothing but Spearows and Aipoms (after a while I began counting, 67 Spearows, 31 Aipoms, and a ton of empty trees). Can anyone confirm that I am looking in the right place and am just getting unlucky or something? Anyway, here's an update:

FIGHTING ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: GOLD UPDATE #1

-chose Cyndaquil to get through Falkner, because why not.
    -blitzed through to Violet
    -took on Falkner with a level 10 Cyndaquil, and after lots of smokescreen spam and 6 potions, I won.
    -made it to the Pokecenter by Union Cave, and FINALLY got the Old Rod.
    -went fishing in Violet City!
    -caught Poliwag (F), level 10, named Kimberly
    -training a water type in Union Cave was easy-peasy
    -did all the slowpoke well stuff
    -Challenged Bugsy with a lvl 21 Kimberly, she won easily
    -Had a bit more trouble against the rival, Gastly paralyzed Kimberly and she had a lot of problems against Croconaw. Nothing that couldn't be overcome with some potions though.
    -Cyndaquil's life purpose fulfilled as it learned Cut
    -got the Headbutt TM and taught it to Kimberly

BADGES: 2/16

Team:
    Spoiler:

For the heracross have you tried the trees behind kurts house that where i always used to get mine

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Update 2: All Volt Switch, all the time

Castelia City -> Bolt Badge

Spoiler:

Next is Driftveil's Ground gym. Lots of grinding ahead.

Current Team:

Thor the Bold Flaaffy, ♀, L 27
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Thunder Wave, Charge, Volt Switch, Thunder Shock

Thor is the Norse god of thunder. Currently the title of Thor in Marvel comics is held by a woman.

Jupiter
    the Modest Magnemite, L 26
    Ability: Sturdy
    Moves: Thunder Wave, Magnet Bomb, Volt Switch, Mirror Coat

Jupiter is the Roman god of daytime thunder.

Indra the Naive Jolteon, ♂, L 26
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Moves: Quick Attack, Volt Switch, Dig, Bite

Indra is the Hindu god of rain and thunderstorms, also known as Sakra.

Oya
    the Adamant Emolga, ♀, L 25
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Double Team, Pursuit, Spark, Shock Wave

Oya is the goddess of hurricanes in the Yoruba religion.

Never say you don't learn anything playing Pokemon.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Update 4: Oh boy

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Again, don't mind the Farfetch'd as its just there for Cut and Fly.

I have not introduced everyone yet but with them being almost complete, (Tangela will be the last one), I might as well. I also continue my sort of tradition in naming my mons after certain LoL (League of Legends) players, either he/she be a Professional Player or a notable personality.

MapleStreet, the Quiet male Venusaur
    Passive: Overgrow, Held Item: Scope Lens
    Skills: Razor Leaf, Secret Power, Growth, Leech Seed
    Named after:
    Spoiler:

- MapleStreet has been the forerunner of our whole journey. As the team's all out attacker, he's in charge of doing what he's been doing since the start of the march, dealing tons of damage and carrying the team. His moveset is a little limited though, but Leech Seed is still there to apply some bit of DoT pressure. But he does what he does, and that's dealing damage. Even against Resistant mons, his Razor Leaf cuts through them like fish fillet. and I'm already craving for some sushi. Also, after learning more about his Gen 3 Learnset, I figured that he'd have a surprise move for everyone as well ;)

Yoonie, the Relaxed female Parasect
    Passive: Effect Spore, Held Item: Quick Claw (Really needed)
    Skills: Slash, Aerial Ace, Leech Life, Spore
    Named after:
    Spoiler:

- Well there's Yoonie. She's the second most formidable monster in our team and that's thanks to her high physical ATK and her array of slash moves (Slash and Aerial Ace). Her Spore (100 Accuracy Sleep) is so good that it enables her to overcome her type disadvantages as long as she can score hits on them. Her only main weakness aside from her typing is that her nature really hinders her speed, which makes mons of the same level outspeed her. The quick claw was sort of the solution for this issue, as if it did trigger, she was able to score crucial Spores and crits with Slash or AA. While her nature might be hindering to her success, at least that nature along with her typing enables her to tank ground moves with impunity (4x resistance against Ground).

Keekfl, the Docile female Gloom
    Passive: Chlorophyll
    Skills: Giga Drain, Acid, Moonlight, Sleep Powder
    Named after:
    Spoiler:

LittleJenny, the Careful female Weepinbell
    Passive: Chlorophyll
    Skills: Acid, Vine Whip, Poisonpowder, Sleep Powder
    Named after:
    Spoiler:

- Keekfl and LittleJenny are two mons who have yet to reach their potential because of the limited movesets and my lack of plans for them. Though LittleJenny seems to be paying off more with her better offensive stats (her high ATK stat really helps). With careful planning, they will reach their final movesets especially once they reach their final stages, which need appropriate levels before their eventual Leaf Stone exposures.

MileyDyrus, the Naughty male Exeggcute
    Passive: Same as the rest who aren't Venusaur
    Skills: Confusion, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Reflect
    Named after:
    Spoiler:

- Despite the rather trollish Nature, he's building up to the rock that the team needs. The psychic typing greatly helps against Poison types, which is the tertiary counter to our monotype, and he possesses the STAB damage to not only deal with Poison mons, but with Fire and Flying mons, as they are two of the most irritating things against our way (especially against Yoonie, who because of her typing, is 4x weak against them). Once the appropriate level is attained, a leaf stone exposure will turn him into the Rock Solid trunk that my team has been longing to seek.

The challenges are just getting more intense.

key events:
    Spoiler:

On the way to Cinnabar and Viridiam Gyms. Blaine will be an extremely hard one so i better be prepared.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    I FINALLY FOUND THE FREAKING THING. I'd first like to direct everyone's attention to this page: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talk:Headbutt_(move) , regarding how little anyone actually knows regarding headbutt trees. Specifically at the bottom of the page, where it is mostly Gen II discussion. Turns out, there are only some individual trees on each savefile (or each cartridge, it's not really clear) that can contain a Heracross. That is entirely convoluted and dumb, and explains why I've never been bothered to find one before. Anyway, I finally found of the magical unique-per-savefile trees that contain a Heracross on route 32 after spending entirely too long searching. The run will continue once I can stomach looking at it again.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    regarding how little anyone actually knows regarding headbutt trees.

I pretty sure most people do know this.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Ultimate Poison Update #2
    I finally decided to do Red on my Poison run.

My Team:
    Spoiler:

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Just posting to say that i have to change from Emerald to Omega Ruby in my ultimate run. i was on 6/8 badges and trying to beat liza and tate when my old DS died for good. With any luck the post man will bring me OR today and i can work on that region again.

Been back in the pokemon mood so should have a few updates in the next couple of days

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Update 5: Got Blain'd

7/8 Badges obtained. Last two gym leaders challenged are Sabrina and Blaine, two of the Anti Grass monotype trainers.

Koga was basically a warmup of what can possibly go wrong in a Grass monotype challenge for Kanto's Grass mons. But his challenge was nothing compared to the atrocity that i went through with Sabrina and Blaine, but first:

Misc events!
    -
    The Monotype Challenge
    Just that is enough for a key event for our adventure
    - Found the last piece of our grass team, Tangela, now named HideinBush since that's what he does
    - Found the last few TMs that the grass team can use.
    - Used the first leaf stone on MileyDyrus to evolve him into a real tree. With his bolstered stats and his confusion now replaced with Psychic, he's strong enough to help carry the team.

Summary on Sabrina:
    - Maplestreet worked hard throughout smashing her team until Alakazam came in:
    - Akalazam moved first, used Psychic. Crit...
    - Maplestreet used Secret Power, left Alakazam at near red HP
    - Alakazam used psychic, Maplestreet got KOd
    - Alakazam smashed the rest of my mons until Yoonie came in and Aerial Ace'd his weak defense.

= Sabrina's Alakazam was pretty much the carrier of her team as it smashed my team until Yoonie's bug/grass typing helped her survive Psychic damage.

Cinnabar Gym:
    For this gym, i replaced Yoonie's Aerial Ace with Dig in order to have a ground-type move to deal with the fire types. Luckily, Yoonie's quick claw and a bit of leveling helped her outspeed most of the mons and their gym trainers. Also, MileyDyrus' reflect was replaced with Light Screen to help bulk up the SpecialDef against Blaine.

Vs Blaine:
    The Monotype Challenge

- This was the aftermath of the slaughter that occured... everyone was revived.. and yes even the freshly caught Tangela was needed..

- Yoonie vs Growlithe: Dig was used but the Grow's intimidate reduced her damage a bit, which was enough for the other mon to survive the Dig Hit and cameback with Fireblast.
    - MapleStreet, needing the levels revenge KO'd Growlithe.
    - Switched MileyDyrus for some Light Screen.
    - MapleStreet returns to smack up Ponyta and Rapidash
    - Arcanine vs Everyone: Basically, Arcanine slaughtered the rest of my team.. it was a race against his Fire Blast PP and the amount of revives.. I had to play it cheap. Eventually, MapleStreet who still had enough HP came back and KO'd the beast and ended the toughest gym for this monotype run.

Years
    *Points to sig*

I love challenges! Replaying the games over and over with them if how I spend most of my Pokemon playing days nowadays! Mono-type challenges are my absolute favorites.

Right now I'm putting my mono grass run on Black on hold (5th gen really bores me) while I run through my SoulSilver mono-fire and Y nuzlocke. I traded over a few eggs from my Platinum. I just beat Bugsy and currently have:

Charmeleon lvl 17
    Slugma lvl 15
    Quilava lvl 18
    Growlithe lvl 13

Whitney's Miltank kind of scares me because of Rollout, and with Lum Berry I can't rely on Slugma burn hax, but luckily Growlithe has Intimidate and Charmeleon has Dragon Rage, so I should be ok.

Outside of that, I think Claire and Lance are my only real challenges. By the time I get to Misty I should be ok to just muscle my way through her.

I'm still deciding who else to use on my team. I don't mind using more then 6 Pokemon. Definitely NOT going with Ninetails as I've used it so much in my Pokemon career. I think I want a Magmar, Rapidash, and Infernape, and will probably want one more after that. Maybe Flareon.

Oh, I also finished my Pearl Mono-Psychic.

Final team was

Alakazam lvl 61
    Bronzong lvl 57
    Chimecho (lol) lvl 55
    Girafarig lvl 61 (pretty beast)
    Medicham lvl 60
    and a Bibarel HM slave

I'm going to do mono-Fighting on my Pearl next, I'm thinking

Infernape
    Machamp
    Medicham AGAIN
    Toxicroak
    Lucario

I'm sure there were a few others but I forgot lol. I'll probably trade a Tyrogue egg or something so I don't have to use Medicham again.

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    I traded over a few eggs from my Platinum. I just beat Bugsy and currently have:

Charmeleon lvl 17
    Slugma lvl 15
    Quilava lvl 18
    Growlithe lvl 13
    -cut to save space-
    I'll probably trade a Tyrogue egg or something so I don't have to use Medicham again.

I'm pretty sure neither of these will qualify for the champion list. These are from the main post rules.

2. A Pokémon of your type must be obtained before you earn your second badge. If this is impossible in your game, you may hack or trade a single Non-Legendary Pokémon of your type within your region's Pokédex.
    5. Trading is permitted for evolution, and obtaining version exclusive Pokémon in your region's Pokédex that cannot be obtained otherwise

So Growlithe should be okay since he's HG exclusive and I don't know how Wilhelm feels about the Kanto starters in GSCHGSS, since they are in the Region Dex, but not obtainable.
    But I don't think you would be able to trade Slugma over no matter what.

And Tyrogue isn't in the Sinnoh dex at all, so he's a no-go.

Sorry to sound like an ass, but I'm just saying. You could sign these up for the ruleless Freeplay though.
    --------------------------------------------

As for my Black Poison Run, I'm almost done, I'll post again if someone posts after me before I finish it. If not, I'll edit this. :D

Years
    I'm pretty sure neither of these will qualify for the champion list. These are from the main post rules.

So Growlithe should be okay since he's HG exclusive and I don't know how Wilhelm feels about the Kanto starters in GSCHGSS, since they are in the Region Dex, but not obtainable.
    But I don't think you would be able to trade Slugma over no matter what.

And Tyrogue isn't in the Sinnoh dex at all, so he's a no-go.

Sorry to sound like an ass, but I'm just saying. You could sign these up for the ruleless Freeplay though.

As for my Black Poison Run, I'm almost done, I'll post again if someone posts after me before I finish it. If not, I'll edit this. :D

You can get a Slugma egg from Primo in Violet City!

Don't worry about it! I'm new here so I thought this was the only mono-type thread. Is there another?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    You can get a Slugma egg from Primo in Violet City!

Don't worry about it! I'm new here so I thought this was the only mono-type thread. Is there another?

Well, now I know who I'm using in my Fire Mono, lol.

And no there isn't another thread, but this thread here has a Freeplay mode, where although you won't be in the champions list, you can still play with no rules, and post updates all you want.
    EDIT: Finished Black in my Ultimate Poison Run

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, now I know who I'm using in my Fire Mono, lol.

And no there isn't another thread, but this thread here has a Freeplay mode, where although you won't be in the champions list, you can still play with no rules, and post updates all you want.

I definitely recommend it! I like Slugma, and he learns Rock Throw early so you can use it against Falkner. The only problem is you're stuck with 40 attack and crappy stats until it evolves at a whopping level 38. Flame Body is always useful though, I used him to burn Bugsy's Scyther, though honestly Scyther is the least of your worries in a Fire mono lol.

Well then I guess I'm a Freeplay kinda guy then! I would find it very boring to play most games with an elusive type like Ice, Dragon, or Ghost since they only come towards the end of the game and are in far fewer number. For example, assuming you're allowed one Dragon egg in HG/SS, you're basically stuck with that + Dratini line (Game Corner after playing Voltorb Flip, THE HORROR!!), + Horsea line (Whirl Islands). This doesn't seem that fun to me. I like my options. :P Not knocking anyone else, of course. We all have our own playstyles that we enjoy.

Years
    woop woop finished my ground on X, the elite 4 was really hard even when i grineded for a couple of hours to get to the 70's.

View attachment 74167View attachment 74168View attachment 74169View attachment 74170

Final Team Update:
    GodFather the Diggersby
    LVL70
    Return
    Hammer Arm
    Strength
    Earthquake

DarkFall the Krookodile
    LVL71
    Earthquake
    Crunch
    Outrage
    Foul Play

Collosus the Golurk
    LVL71
    Shadow Punch
    Hammer Arm
    Fly
    Earthquake

Sithis the Garchomp
    LVL71
    Dragon Claw
    Crunch
    Poison Jab
    Dragon Rush

Doormat the Stunfisk
    LVL71
    Dicharge
    Sludge Bomb
    Thunderbolt
    Surf

HumpBack the Mamoswine
    LVL71
    Ice Fang
    Thrash
    Blizzard
    Earthquake

Now to move onto Alpha Sapphire

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I definitely recommend it! I like Slugma, and he learns Rock Throw early so you can use it against Falkner. The only problem is you're stuck with 40 attack and crappy stats until it evolves at a whopping level 38. Flame Body is always useful though, I used him to burn Bugsy's Scyther, though honestly Scyther is the least of your worries in a Fire mono lol.

Well then I guess I'm a Freeplay kinda guy then! I would find it very boring to play most games with an elusive type like Ice, Dragon, or Ghost since they only come towards the end of the game and are in far fewer number. For example, assuming you're allowed one Dragon egg in HG/SS, you're basically stuck with that + Dratini line (Game Corner after playing Voltorb Flip, THE HORROR!!), + Horsea line (Whirl Islands). This doesn't seem that fun to me. I like my options. :P Not knocking anyone else, of course. We all have our own playstyles that we enjoy.
    Yep! That's pretty much why I added Freeplay. The most important thing is that you have fun, and I hate excluding people from posting. It's more fun if anyone can post but only people who followed the rules completely get on the list.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I'm a little too burnt out from playing too much FireRed/Kanto based games so i'm putting my Grass monotype challenge on Kanto on a little hiatus. But in that challenge, so far, I've cleared out all gyms, found strategies on how to remove Charizard ASAP to prevent it from sweeping the Kanto Grass team, cleared Victory road and will just do a little grinding on the rest, which is all but not too important to tell.. so I'll start with my other Region: Hoenn (To be played on Emerald: Hoenn Dex Edition (Dexhack that enables all Hoenn based pokes to be caught).. also, I've been wanting to play as Treecko in a well since I have never ever used him.

Pokemon Emerald Grass monotype Part 1 - Oh thank you gods of Hoenn!

The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

In case some people are wondering, this is Moemon. Pokemon Emerald with Gijinkas (Cute Monster Girls) as sprites.

We start out our Grassy adventure of Hoenn with the typical starting scenario. Birch talks to us what a Pokemon looks like, we pick Treecko of course, and Knock out that Zigzagoon that was chasing him. And thank goodness the gods of Hoenn were wondering what the hell I was playing too much FireRed, when they know that I should be in Hoenn instead -> We get a FEMALE Starter Treecko, and with pretty good Nature as well. (Female starters are special IMO since it can enable us to re-breed a new Treecko for passing some egg moves just in case...)

Asuna, the Mild Treecko.
    - Mild Nature = +Spatk, -physicalDef. I have no issues whatsoever with this nature! Grass types in general are physically bulky anyway and with no hindrances to important combat stats (Especially Base Speed which dear lord my Kanto Monotype is suffering from), Asuna's here to help us in our Grass Monotype of Hoenn.
    Name Etymology: Because i ran out of ideas of naming my moemons.

small key events:
    encountered a ralts WAY TOO EARLY. Of course, being a grass monotype run, i had to KO him for those SPAtk EVs
    encountered Lotad after the ralts, already a second addition to our team. The game is loving me this time.

New addition:
    Doreimo, the Quiet Lotad
    - Its another of those "good grass types with bad natures" once again, but unlike most others, Lotad becomes a really potent mixed coverage pokemon later on in the game, so the nature isn't as bad i would think. Raising him would be a little hard though.

Already our team is set up to sweep the early game once we get the levels that we need.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tek

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge: Alpha Sapphire
    3/8

I waited to update until after Wattson, because the second gym is so close to the first. Anyhow, I spent forever trying to find a stupid Volbeat that had Prankster. I spent so much time on DexNav that I accidentally overleveled a bit. So, I challenges Wattson using mostly Volbeat! I had to switch for Magneton, but on Magnemite and Voltorb I was able to hold them off with Volbeat alone. It was glorious! I finished Magneton off with Dustox. Oh and I found a better Surskit while hunting Volbeat. And I really want Tail Glow.

The Monotype Challenge
    Dustox F
    Lv. 26, Modest
    -Psybeam
    -Venoshock
    -Silver Wind
    -Harden

The Monotype Challenge
    Surskit M
    Lv. 26, Gentle
    -Psybeam
    -Stun Spore
    -Bubble Beam
    -Agility

The Monotype Challenge
    Nincada M
    Lv. 22, Naive
    -Fury Swipes
    -Mud Slap
    -Bug Bite
    -Metal Claw

The Monotype Challenge
    Volbeat M
    Lv. 17, Mild
    -Bug Buzz
    -Quick Attack
    -Double Team
    -Confuse Ray

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    After finally completing my Normal run in X, it's time to do another one. Not on X yet though.

Forum User Name: Buzz Buzz
    Pokémon Type: Bug
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game: Fire Red

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back