• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2020
    FireRed Mono-Flying Run
    UPDATE #4 - COMPLETE!

PROGRESS:
    Spoiler:

TEAM:
    Spoiler:

I'm sure pretty soon here I'll announce and start up my next challenge. I'm wanting to go ahead and go for mono-Flying Ultimate, but still haven't picked my games. Originally I was thinking I'd do Crystal (all the Gen 2 Flying types are available) and Sapphire next, but going back and replaying FireRed has really made me appreciate the mechanics updates since Gen 4, specifically those relating to moves being physical or special. So it looks like I may be doing SoulSilver next, followed by Platinum (and I guess I'll have to get myself Alpha Sapphire!). I'm planning on only using Pokemon that were introduced in the region of the game I'm playing (no more Dragonite, Gyarados, Charizard, etc. for me!) so I imagine most other regions will be significantly harder than Kanto when it comes to mono-Flying runs. I guess we shall see!

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ground Monotype Platinum Update:
    -defeated rival in Canalave City
    -caught Steelix in Iron Island
    -defeated Byron
    -caught Swinub on Route 217
    -Swinub evolved into Piloswine
    -Piloswine evolved into Mamoswine
    -Rhyhorn evolved into Rhydon
    -Rhydon evolved into Rhyperior
    -defeated Candice

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2020
    Alright, officially going to make this an ultimate challenge.

Forum User Name: Chrono Eternal
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Challenge Mode: Ultimate
    Game(s): FireRed, SoulSilver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y

SoulSilver Mono-Flying Run
    UPDATE #1

PROGRESS:
    Spoiler:

TEAM:
    Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Small update for my monograss run :]

I'm playing the game in French to see how much of the language I remember from studying it while I was a kid, and by studying I mean not paying any attention in class and just getting by because I never thought I would need it in the future. Now I'm actually interested in learning, and I seem to be doing pretty well while playing through Alpha Sapphire.

Challenge
    Spoiler:
    Badges
    50px-Stone_Badge.png
    50px-Knuckle_Badge.png

Current Team
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ground Monotype Platinum Update:
    -Gabite evolved into Garchomp
    -defeated Volkner
    -defeated rival at the Pokemon League
    -defeated the Elite Four and Cynthia

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
    Years
  • I'm updating my Dragon Monotype Challenge

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    kingdra.png

Hydra (Kingdra) ♂ Lv. 47 (Pink Bow)
    Surf, DragonBreath, Return, Smokescreen
    dragonair.png

Ormr (Dragonair) ♂ Lv. 47 (Amulet Coin)
    Twister, Thunder Wave, Dragon Rage, Iron Tail

HM Slaves: Totodile (Cut, Whirlpool), Hoothoot (Fly), Psyduck (Flash, Strength, Waterfall, Rock Smash)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dragon Ultimate Monotype Challenge
    Johto Update 2

Spoiler:

Final Team:
    kingdra.png

Hydra (Kingdra) ♂ Lv. 68 (Pink Bow)
    Surf, DragonBreath, Return, Toxic
    dragonite.png

Ormr (Dragonite) ♂ Lv. 68 (Charcoal)
    Outrage, Wing Attack, Fire Punch, Iron Tail

HM Slaves: Totodile (Cut, Whirlpool), Hoothoot (Fly), Psyduck (Flash, Strength, Waterfall, Rock Smash)

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Ultimate Grass Monotype Challenge
    Game: Y
    Badges: 7 8
    EDIT: Challenge complete!

Okay, I haven't even posted an update for beginning this run, but I wanted to finish my Grass-type UMC. I finished this for Gen V ages ago, so now I figured I wanted to finish it for Gen VI, as well. Anyway, I just won my seventh badge. No point in writing out everything up until now. Here's my team, as of now:

EDIT: Just kicked Lysandre's and all of Team Flare's stylish butts. Moved on to defeat Wulfric. Ludicolo and Chesnaught blasted through most of the gym trainers, but Wulfric was actually a bit of a pain, in the end my Mega Venusaur actually earned the victory after being frozen TWICE, what the hell? Anyway, now I'm standing at the entrance to Victory Road with this team:

EDIT 2: Challenge complete! Victory Road wasn't too tough, Pokémon Y is incredibly kind to the player, I blasted through without too much trouble. Then the E4.

Wikstrom was the most annoying. Klefki took down Chesnaught and Jumpluff, before I sent in Gogoat, who tore the rest of his team apart.
    Malva was surprisingly easy. Ludicolo set up rain and then swept away with Surf.
    Drasna wasn't too much troube, either. I led with Ludicolo, but got taken down by Dragalge. Gogoat came to the rescue, and I then had to use a Max Revive to get Ludicolo out there again with Ice Beam to win the battle for me.
    Siebold's Starmie took out Gogoat, so Jumpluff and Chesnaught had to step in and win instead.

Diantha was a bit more trouble. Gogoat got taken out by Hawlucha, who then got taken out by Jumpluff. Jumpluff then got defeated by Goodra, so I sent in Ludicolo to set up rain and defeat Goodra with an Ice Beam. Ludicolo and Chesnaught (I don't remember exactly how it went down) took out Tyrantrum and Aurorus, and then Ferrothorn managed to take out her Mega Gardevoir.
    AZ was easy.

FINAL TEAM:

ludicolo.gif

Ludicolo, lv. 67 @ Damp Rock
    Male // Bold // Swift Swim
    - Ice Beam
    - Rain Dance
    - Surf
    - Focus Blast

The latest addition to the team, Ludicolo proved itself a valuable team member time and time again. Full Grass-teams typically require sun support to function, but none of my Pokémon really need it - Jumpluff appreciates it, but other than that, I figured I might as well go with rain support to boost Ludicolo's speed and power of Surf, and to lower the damage taken from Fire-type attacks. Ice Beam came in handy for coverage.

jumpluff.gif

Jumpluff, lv. 66 @ Wide Lens
    Male // Bold // Leaf Guard
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed

I've used Jumpluff several times before, with almost this exact moveset and item, and it never gets old. Jumpluff is surprisingly good at taking hits, and this set is just a certain victory in almost every situation. Other Grass-types are the bane of this strategy, though, but I could almost always count on Jumpluff to win a battle for me.

chesnaught.gif

Chesnaught, lv. 65 @ Expert Belt
    Male // Jolly // Overgrow
    - Leech Seed
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Wood Hammer
    - Hammer Arm

Chesnaught is a powerhouse, that's really all I have to say about him. He can take a hit, and he can deal some damage. Not sure about the moveset, but it worked.

venusaur.gif
    venusaur-mega.gif

Venusaur, lv. 66 @ Venusaurite
    Male // Modest // Overgrow
    - Venoshock
    - Toxic
    - Leech Seed
    - Petal Dance

Despite being the team mega, Venusaur never really felt like the powerhouse of the team. I mean, he absorbed a ton of hits and dished out some damage, but was mostly there when I needed a Toxic that couldn't miss. Toxic + Venoshock came in handy a few times, though.

gogoat.gif

Gogoat, lv. 67 @ Big Root
    Female // Jolly // Sap Sipper
    - Horn Leech
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace
    - Bulk Up

This one really surprised me. I didn't even want to use Gogoat initially, but I just went with it. Battling the E4, this girl pulled off some amazing feats. It was difficult deciding on a moveset, but in the end, this one worked fine against the E4.

ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn, lv. 68 @ Rocky Helmet
    Male // Impish // Iron Barbs
    - Curse
    - Payback
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

I looked back on some of my older posts from this challenge, and it turns out that I used a Ferrothorn on my Unova run of this challenge with this exact same moveset. What can I say? It works like a charm. Ferrothorn can wear enemies down with this setup without even lifting a finger. Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet and Curse + Gyro Ball are some nasty combos.

Last edited:

Pekin

Years
  • Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge
    Game: SoulSilver
    Badges: 2

Okay, so apart from my latest update on completing my Grass-type UMC, I haven't been active for a long time, and now I figured I'd clean up a bit in the challenges I've signed up for - starting with my Bug-type UMC. As stated in the top post, I've already completed Blue and Emerald version, so I wanted to do SoulSilver next. Also, I haven't played SoulSilver in a long time.

Anyway - before challenging Falkner, I caught myself a Weedle and a Ledyba. I've never, ever wanted to use Ledyba or Ledian, because their stats suck, but I figured I'd try. Falkner was, as you'd imagine, pretty tough, and I had to rely on a bit of luck to win. Beedrill came through for me, though, and we won! Before challenging Bugsy, I caught a Paras, trained for a bit, and then challenged him. I actually sent out Paras first, but got destroyed by Scyther's U-Turn. Beedrill then wore his Kakuna down while setting up Harden a ton of times. Beedrill then poisoned Scyther and almost took it out, but eventually was defeated. Ledian then finished Scyther off and took out Metapod.

Here's my current team:
    Spr_4h_046.png

Paras, lv. 15
    Male // Impish // Dry Skin
    - Scratch
    - Stun Spore
    - PoisonPowder
    - Leech Life
    Spr_4h_166_f.png

Ledian, lv. 19
    Female // Modest // Swarm
    - Comet Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Reflect
    - Roost
    Spr_4h_015.png

Beedrill, lv. 17
    Male // Adamant // Swarm
    - Twineedle
    - Focus Energy
    - Harden
    - Poison Sting

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Ultimate Ground Monotype X Update:
    -chose Chespin
    -caught Bunnelby on Route 2
    -defeated Viola
    -Bunnelby evolved into Diggersby
    -caught Sandile on Route 9
    -caught Hippopotas on Route 9
    -caught Luvdisc on Route 8
    -Traded Luvdisc for a Steelix in Cyllage City
    -defeated Grant
    -defeated Serena in the Tower of Mastery
    -Sandile evolved into Krokorok
    -defeated Korrina

Team:
    Spoiler:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by reaching the End Game of one game from all six official region using the same type. They do not need to be completed in chronological order.

Good. I think Ill sign up then, I wanna try this. Even if Johto will be literally impossible to beat. But I guess Pekin did it, so its possible :). Ill start easy for now (because I started Diamond already).

Forum User Name: ddrox13
    Pokémon Type: Grass
    Game(s): Diamond, LeafGreen, Soulsilver, Emerald, White 2, Y
    Previous Progress: Diamond thru 2nd gym

and while I'm at it, Ill go ahead and do my first update on Diamond. Pics might be added later, will be in at least some future updates.

THRU 2 GYMS, Team:
    Spoiler:

Events since Gym 2:
    Spoiler:

ALSO: I will be doing most of these on an emulator, but Y will be done on my physical DS. As such, I will probably do the Y one as I do the rest of them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2016
    Done with Mono Dragon X run!

Took me forever because I got sidetracked and decided to do a monocolor run. But anyways, here's my team!

Spoiler:

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
    Years
  • It's been a hot while since I did a Pokemon challenge, so I thought I'd come back to the old monotype and start a new one!

Forum Name: Dr. Slavic
    Pokemon Type: Rock
    Games: FireRed, Crystal, Emerald, Pearl, White 2, X
    Progress: Below

Update 1
    ~Started a new game, named player character Rocky and my rival Erosion.
    ~Picked my Bulbasaur as my starter, nicknamed Chia Pet, and defeated Erosion and his Charmander with a barrage of tackles.
    428Pxzf.png
    ~Ran through all of Professor Oak's hoops to get the Pokedex.
    ~Continue up through Viridian City and Viridian Forest uneventfully, and arrive in Pewter City.
    ~Brock is a joke since I chose Bulbasaur and he goes down in a matter of turns, giving me the Boulder Badge!
    EnN5AQn.png
    ~On the way to Mt. Moon, Chia Pet evolved into Ivysaur for what it's worth!
    Wum7Tsb.png
    ~Once I've arrived at Mt. Moon, I searched around the entrance for my first real Pokemon.
    ~Captured a Geodude, nicknamed Joan Jett!
    QBhk8Ns.png
    ~Battled most of the trainers before and throughout Mt. Moon, and picking up the almighty Helix Fossil.
    ~After exiting Mt. Moon, I headed right to the Punch Guru (patent pending) to teach Joan Jett the mysterious ways of the Mega Punch.
    ~Arriving in Cerulean City, I head to the Pokemon Center to heal up before heading North.
    ~Running into Erosion, Joan Jett has little trouble defeating his team, dismantling Pidgeotto and Charmeleon with Rock Throw and dispatching Ratatta and Abra, unable to touch her, with Mega Punch, defeating him quickly.
    R07Vuzj.png
    ~After completing the fabulous Nugget Bridge, I travel onward towards Bill's house, and Joan Jett evolves into Graveler along the way!
    cWcbaDQ.png
    ~After being unable to touch Misty's Starmie for quite a while, even at 10 levels above it, I manage to strike Starmie with a critical Magnitude, finally KOing her second Pokemon and validating like an hour and a half of failure, netting me the Cascade Badge!
    pWXF1C8.png
    ~After defeating Misty, I head down south, evading as many trainers as I can, to arrive in Vermillion City.
    ~Naturally, I head to the S.S. Anne first, running through to collect the items and run into Erosion again.
    ~More difficulty with this battle, and Kadabra comes close to knocking Joan Jett out (all the way in the red zone!) Luckily, Joan Jett is grossly overleveled and takes on his team with little difficulty, and I defeat Erosion once more.
    UjvmVdI.png
    ~After obtaining Cut from the captain, I head back to Cerulean and go to the Rock Cave in order to catch my next Pokemon, an Onix named Big Boss!
    vZ1SBFm.png
    ~I teach Big Boss Dig via TM and head back to Vermilion City, taking on all the trainers there and to the east of Vermilion to train Big Boss.
    ~Big Boss has a bit of trouble with one of the gym trainer's Pikachus, thanks to Double Team, but he takes care of Lt. Surge easily through a combination of Screech and Dig, beating Surge and getting me the Thunder Badge!
    DCPySCc.png
    ~After getting the badge, I had back to get Flash and go through the Rock Cave with little trouble.
    ~I arrive in Lavender Town, but with little to do I head west to Celadon City.
    ~After locating the well-hidden Rocket Hideout I locate the nefarious Giovanni and take him on.
    ~Onix and Rhyhorn go down with little trouble, as Dig keeps Big Boss from risking any damage. However, Kangaskhan gives a little more trouble, and makes Big Boss a little nervous. However, Giovanni is defeated ultimately, and I receive the Silph Scope left behind.
    Ejsmmwg.png

My Team​
    Ox8Hi0a.png
    8996IHf.png
    BJYOr37.png

gsYgCzo.png
    bnqyJOk.png
    QT6TGrn.png

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Sigh, I feel like imma hate this type once im through

Doing both Diamond and Y simultaneously, so I will spoiler any updates

DIAMOND:
    Spoiler:

Y: Started with Chesnut the Chespin and caught Yulyana the Pansage. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Pekin

Years
  • Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge
    Game: SoulSilver
    Badges: 3

Since defeating Bugsy, I've been through Ilex Forest, caught myself a Pineco, updated a few movesets, caught a Heracross and trained for a while to get everyone to almost equal levels. Then I challenged Whitney.
    Heracross is the only one who takes neutral damage from her Rollout, so I sent her out - also, she's the team powerhouse. Tough luck, though, her Miltank still took out Heracross. So I sent out Ledian, because I taught her Focus Blast, if nothing else because the words "it's super effective!" feel good, even though Ledian can barely dent a drywall. She missed Rollout twice, though, and because apparently some Pokémon bug god of accuracy is watching over my playthrough, Ledian succesfully landed two Focus Blasts in a row and wiped the floor with her Miltank. Good job, Ledian!

Here's my current team:
    Spr_4h_166_f.png

Ledian, lv. 21
    Female // Modest // Swarm
    - Headbutt
    - Focus Blast
    - Reflect
    - Roost
    Spr_4h_015.png

Beedrill, lv. 18
    Male // Adamant // Swarm
    - U-Turn
    - Focus Energy
    - Harden
    - Poison Sting
    Spr_4h_046.png

Paras, lv. 19
    Male // Impish // Dry Skin
    - Scratch
    - Spore
    - PoisonPowder
    - Leech Life
    Spr_4h_214_f.png

Heracross, lv. 18
    Female // Jolly // Swarm
    - Headbutt
    - Leer
    - Aerial Ace
    - Endure
    Spr_4h_204.png

Pineco, lv. 20
    Female // Careful // Sturdy
    - Bug Bite
    - Protect
    - Rapid Spin
    - Headbutt

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Diamond (7/8), LeafGreen, Soulsilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (0/8)

Bolded is current, strikethrough is completed, numbers are badge numbers

UPDATE: Beat Candice. Post has been updated to reflect this

Diamond
    Important Events
    Spoiler:

Team Through Gym 7:
    Spoiler:

Nothing to report in Y.

Only other thing of use is I went ahead and marked down every Grass type in order obtainable for both Y and FRLG, and intend to do the rest shortly. etc. refers to evolutions. Ill throw Y's in this post, and FRLG when I get around to that.

Spoiler:

Pics will start coming Update 6, when the thing lets me post them :P

EDIT: Does Rotom count as a Legendary? If not, what are the rules on it's usage in non-electric/ghost monos? i.e. can I get one, switch it to Mow form, and call it a Grass type (Gens 5-6 only)?

Last edited:

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
    Years
  • Update 2
    Spoiler:

My Team
    dYX6FlW.png
    evzkNsZ.png
    hobWLbI.png

nDLPWGt.png
    MWltH4k.png

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Diamond (8/8), LeafGreen, Soulsilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (1/8)

Bolded is current, strikethrough is completed, numbers are badge numbers.

UPDATE: Beat Volkner and caught a pokemon in Y, post updated

Diamond
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team through 8th gym:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: As someone who vowed never to use a Weather team when he first started competitive play in Gen 4, I find myself in a monograss with Hail, Sun, AND Rain. Because why not?

Y
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team through Route 7:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR: Why must every early game Grass type get Vine Whip? Clearly not so I can make a Watch Me [Whip / Nae Nae] joke in the next update... Also, "Nut" is banned from nicknames by the swear filter.

Pics come as soon as the forum lets me post links.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Diamond, FireRed (2/8), SoulSilver, Emerald, White 2, Y (2/8)

Bolded is current, strikethrough is completed, numbers are badge numbers.

I think that was my record time for beating Diamond. Granted, I was running the thing at 2X speed for most of the time, but I think it took that into account. I was sooooo underlevelled, but when you have hax, strategy, and a crapload of Hyper Potions on your side, that doesnt really matter :P

Diamond (Complete!)
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

FINAL TEAM:
    389.png

Oak (Torterra) Lv50 @ Soft Sand
    Male | Adamant (Atk>SpAtk) | Overgrow
    - Earthquake
    - Wood Hammer
    - Rock Climb (I ran out of HM slave spots rip)
    - Curse

Honestly, this thing was my lifeline. He took hits. He did craploads of damage. He was my powerhouse. He bailed me out of more situations than I can count (Citation: the entire freaking E4). Nothing more to say here.

407.png

Flora (Roserade) Lv48 @ Metronome
    Female | Impish (Def>SpAtk) | Natural Cure
    - Giga Drain
    - Shadow Ball
    - Weather Ball
    - Sludge Bomb

Flora was my ace from Fantina to the last battle with Joy. She covered all the bases where the Grass Type's shallow coverage pools fell short. A pleasure to have on the team.

421sunny.png

CherryBomb (Cherrim) Lv48 @ Big Root
    Female | Docile (Def>Def) | Flower Gift
    - Sunny Day
    - Solarbeam
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power (Dark)

Cherry kinda bopped back and forth between useful and useless, but came through hugely in the E4, especially against Cynthia. Sun was always fun to have around too, so she was always a welcome addition to the squad.

413.png

Bundle (Wormadam-G) Lv46
    Female | Adamant (Atk>SpAtk) | Anticipation
    - Rain Dance
    - Razor Leaf
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power (Ice)

Bundle had her times to shine, and was fun to use. Even if her E4 usefulness was limited to acquiring free switches for the rest of the team and putting up Rain once, she still was awesome.

460.png

Pine (Abomasnow) Lv49 @ Shell Bell
    Female | Adamant (Atk>SpAtk) | Snow Warning
    - Wood Hammer
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Shard
    - Blizzard

So Pine came onto the team really late, but became a powerhouse basically upon evolution. She literally straight won me the Cynthia battle, and her offensive capabilities were second only to Oak.

xankMBT.png

Ft. GULL the Pelliper (Obligatory Bird), WHY? the Bibarel (Obligatory Water type), and Grovyle the Dialga (Obligatory Cover Legend)

Y
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team through Geosenge Town (Now with pictures!):
    Spoiler:

FireRed
    Important Events:
    Spoiler:

Team through Gym 2:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Status