• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokémon Contest Craze!

Do you believe that Hoenn's Pokémon Contests should be expanded?

• Yes

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • *too busy showing off your favorite Pokémon's good side to the Judge*

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
  • i really liked contests, but i dont care if they come back. if they did come back i do want them to expand it and make it more interesting i some way

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I want the contests to be in every other town like it was in sapphire. not like emerald. It would be cool if you could do pokeblocks with people over wifi :D

Katunei999

Katunei
    Years
  • I most definitely want Contests to be implemented back into the remakes! I loved the contests, both for how they frustrated me, to how proud I felt looking at all the ribbons my Pokémon had to show. Back in the museum, my Ninetales won the beauty contest and I always thought the picture was just gorgeous. My Wynaut won the cute, my Raichu won the cool, my Muk won the tough and my Kadabra won the smart. I felt so proud of all of them; especially knowing how hard I worked to get them.

Generally, I would like the contests to stay mostly the same. I don't see what point there is to having battle rounds, because the whole point of contests is that it isn't about battling. But grooming before hand and dressing up sound really fun! Dressing up wasn't really as fun for me with the flat pixels because you just kind of plopped them on and hoped they didn't look to daft. But with the 3D graphics, maybe they'll actually be wearing the clothing. Can you imagine a little Mudkip running around with a red cape? Or an Aggron with a cane and monocle, tipping his top-hat to you? So cute!

I would love for there to be different outfits for contests, like different dresses or other fancy clothing. And as others have mentioned, having Wi-Fi contests sounds amazing! Being able to compete in a different way, being judged on your appeal and for your Pokémon to be the stars...this showier competition sounds more to my style then regular battling!

Years
  • Contests

We haven't had Pokémon Contests since Gen IV (DPPt to be specific), but seeing as they were introduced in Ruby and Sapphire, do you think they'll return here? Personally, I hope so. Contests were always my favourite side attraction (possibly besides the Pokéathlon) and it'll give Ribbons their return too, since they weren't used much in Gen V or XY. What do you think? Do you think they'll return? Or would you rather them stay in the past?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    We haven't had Pokémon Contests since Gen IV (DPPt to be specific), but seeing as they were introduced in Ruby and Sapphire, do you think they'll return here? Personally, I hope so. Contests were always my favourite side attraction (possibly besides the Pokéathlon) and it'll give Ribbons their return too, since they weren't used much in Gen V or XY. What do you think? Do you think they'll return? Or would you rather them stay in the past?

We should get rewards for having xxx number of ribbons on a Pokémon, and they should also give out misc. ribbons like they did with that footprint guy in DP. Also, that Ribbon Syndicate was a cool place, and it was nice to know they actually gave us an objective with contests. I think something like that would call out to the importance of contests.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • If contest come back. Can we Evolve feebas without the prism scale? I just wonder that.

Bulbapedia said:
    Although Contest conditions are a hidden stat in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Pokémon Black and White, and Pokémon X and Y, a Feebas that has maximum Beauty will still evolve in these games.

I really want to see Wallace as a coordinator if contests are coming back. He seems like the type to enter. Plus, the anime and PokeSpe also made him a coordinator, so why not? P:

Plus I'll have the joy to have a contest with him squee~

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
    Years
  • Pokemon Contests!

Heyheyhey! :D

I remembered from when I played the original R/S/E games my love/hate for Pokemon Contests. They seemed different and kind of fun~

I was wondering if you guys think if it will make re-appearance.
    If it does what do you expect from it?
    Did you like them or hate them before, or were you neutral to it?

On that note... do you think they will have PokeBlocks again? hehe

Thanks for your time,
    Ani.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • {XD} I love how "*too busy showing off your favorite Pokémon's good side to the Judge*" is the second-highest-voted poll option at the moment; that was such a last-minute addition! XD

The option to judge other a contest over Wi-Fi would be pretty cool, hm?

I like the idea in concept, but I'm not sure how it would work..? The pre-Appeal round of Contests is based on a Pokemon's Contest Condition "stats" (in addition to whether a Pokemon is holding a Contest Scarf), and the actual Appeal Round is based on Pokemon actions..? The calculation is rather complex, it seems.. XD Unless you could select what bonuses/penalties you wanted to apply for a given Contest? (like a given Pokemon gains 10 more Points if it uses a Fire-type move, or 5 Points are deducted if a Pokemon uses a Hyper Beam-variant move?)

I really want to see Wallace as a coordinator if contests are coming back. He seems like the type to enter. Plus, the anime and PokeSpe also made him a coordinator, so why not? P:

Plus I'll have the joy to have a contest with him squee~

Wow, even the Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures manga made Wallace a Pokemon Coordinator? It's like he has to be one at this point (even his battle dialogue makes him seen more Contest-oriented than battle-oriented!). XD

I'm hoping that "Emerald Mode" is implemented from Pokemon Emerald (so that you don't actually need 4 people to conduct a multiplayer Pokemon Contest like you needed in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire) so that 2-4 people can participlate in wireless Pokemon Contests, with unused spots being fulfilled by NPC players as usual.

Also, I hope the Blend Master (who is like a legend at Berry Blending/PokeBlock-making) from Pokemon Emerald appears a bit more often, so individuals who have friends that suck at Berry Blending or lack any friends with OR/AS can still make good PokeBlocks! Honestly, if you're not using Berries for battle, the sole reason to plant and harvest them is in preparation for the Blend Master's arrival; all the other Berry Blending NPCs frankly suck, sorry to say (I wonder how I managed making non-Blend Master PokeBlocks back in my Sapphire days). XD

Finally, I'm hoping you can send the Contest paintings that you get for winning Master Rank Pokemon Contests can be shared with/sent to other players (both local Wi-Fi and online), along with the player being given the option to host other people's paintings in their own game's Lilycove Art Museum...?

rpryor03

In and Out
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Do you think more Contest effects will be added?
    Should Pokémon Super Contests and Poffins of the Sinnoh region make a return as well, possibly as an additional mode?
    Should there be multiple Contest Halls across Hoenn (like in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire), or just consolidated in one building within Lilycove City (like in Pokemon Emerald)?
    Should "Contest Battles" (like in the Pokemon anime) be introduced as a round?
    Should there be a mini-game to dress up/prepare your Pokemon for Pokémon Contests?

1. I hope.
    2. F No! Bring back Pokeblock!
    3. I really don't care.
    4. I like that idea.
    5. I like the idea floated earlier of using Pokemon-Amie for this.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    I freaking loved contests. I remember trying to max out one of the traits (Beauty, cool, etc) but I never could. I hope in like Diamond/Pearl you get to face off popular trainers in contest when you reach the higher ranks. BRING BACK THEM CONTEST

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    I have a feeling that they will try to bring it back, but there are tons of moves now and it will take a lot of time to put them into their own categories. That's probably why they didn't do it 5th gen, but maybe since ruby and sapphire were such fan favorites, they will do it just for us. I loved contests. And I wanna see 3d models of all of the judges and you can dress up and maybe they should make it like the anime and have the battles. I can't wait to see what they do with this.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I have a feeling that they will try to bring it back, but there are tons of moves now and it will take a lot of time to put them into their own categories. That's probably why they didn't do it 5th gen, but maybe since ruby and sapphire were such fan favorites, they will do it just for us. I loved contests. And I wanna see 3d models of all of the judges and you can dress up and maybe they should make it like the anime and have the battles. I can't wait to see what they do with this.

Maybe GF has been working on the category list since Gen V ended. Maybe that's also the reason why they didn't make as many moves this generation as they usually do.

Years
  • A thousand times yes!

Playing through the games originally, I was a huge fan of the Pokemon Contests. Honestly, I preferred them to the actual gym challenge. I'd catch pokemon based on their moves categories and groom them so that they were the perfect contest pokemon! Once the anime came out, I fell in love with the idea of becoming a coordinator. I drew fanart of myself coordinating; the whole nine yards hahaha. Unfortunately, the contests in the anime were much more detailed and intricate than in the game. I had always hoped that they would put time in creating a spin-off, or even a mini-game, that featured pokemon contests as they are in the anime.

ORAS would be the perfect opportunity for Game Freak to develop and expand the Contest feature! It would be so amazing if you could choose whether to take the road of a Trainer (like Ash in the anime) or a coordinator (like May in the anime), and each would vary how the region was set up. If coordinator was chosen, then the gyms would be replaced with Contest Halls, and badges would be replaced with ribbons. The smaller contests would be replaced with small gyms that didn't pose as much of a challenge as they would've had you gone down the trainer route. The opposite would be true if they player chose trainer instead of coordinator.

Obviously, my theory isn't very likely to happen, but if Nintendo does end up adding more to the Pokemon Contests in ORAS, I'll be elated. :]

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Maybe GF has been working on the category list since Gen V ended. Maybe that's also the reason why they didn't make as many moves this generation as they usually do.

The work they may do on organising moves would be nothing in comparison to what they had to do for creating models for 719 Pokémon, especially given that said moves already have their 3D animations made. It certainly won't hurt to see contest moves back, would it?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't mind. I think that if they put Contests back in they'll use DPPt's format, which imo was pretty fun to play. :3 If they expand it, though, I hope they don't make them entirely useless like Musicals are, earning Ribbons actually felt like an achievement at the highest level (at least to my younger self, haha. I haven't tried recently).

Back