• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The tankiest kanto pokemon

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    So I recently got back to playing my fire red right now and I'm close to the E4. I wanted to challenge myself so I vowed to make a full tank/wall team. I'm not playing competitively, I don't need EV training or giving them remarkable movesets, though I still give my pokemon stuff like toxic and LScreen and stuff but I do want the best overall tanks in my version. So far my team is dragonite, chansey, muk, cloyster, snorlax, and exeggutor.

I personally did not intend dragonite at all but since I'm playing within the actual game and not competitively I NEED someone who can Fly. Like I could srsly wipe out my team and make a new one if none of these are the tankiest there are so what team should I have to help wall my way through the game, especially E4?

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    I found that Golem was a particularly good tank. By the time he was around level 32, his defense was already over 100. Onix is also very good with defense. You're pretty limited, as you can't get shuckle in this game, and you can't get the steel coat quite yet. Once you beat the E4, I would suggest getting a Steelix and Aggron. Hope I could help!

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well. I'd say Snorlax. My snorlax while I was play was onlt a lvl 43 and it destroyed the Elite 4. It sook everything. Snore and Rest was a big help. Since it's attack was through the roof, Snore did more than "40" damage :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    On special side of things, I would say Chansey. Although it's not Blissey and is unable to endure as much hits as its evolution due to not having Eviolite, which did not exist during generation three, sorry to say, it's still able to endure a decent amount of strikes, and could be a great asset for almost any of your team, I like to believe. Alongside, this Pokémon also has access to a variety of healing and status-recovering moves such as Wish and Heal Bell, which I'm sure we'll find to be helpful. For damage and whatnot, it's able to learn Seismic Toss, as well as Toxic, if I'm not mistaken!

Snorlax could also make a good tank, both physically and specially. Haven't used it much, personally, sorry to say, but when I have, it didn't exactly seem to fail me, haha. Only thing that bugs me, though, is his lack of offensive stats, If they had been a little more high, I'm sure many of us would have appreciated it more.

As far as offense goes, Gyarados is excellent; it's able to take down a bunch of your opponent's party members without breaking a sweat. Gengar is good, too.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Definitely Snorlax. He's hard to take down since he's like a brick wall and as well hits hard as hell. I can't think of any other Kanto Pokemon that can be a tank.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Apart from what's mentioned before, I'd add Slowbro and Blastoise. They have both great defense and special defense.

The only problems for you are that Slowbro is only obtainable in LeafGreen and that Squirtle might not be your starter Pokémon.
    Still, I would definitely add them to 'tankiest Pokémon in Kanto'.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • For me Tankiest have been Blastoise for sure, Great defense and stays solid in all battles. there werent more tanky pokemon ingen 1 unfortunately, other that we can say lapras and slowbro

JoeCrux

Illustrator
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    Vaporeon, weezing, golem and blastoise can be very annoying to beat down, but Snorlax is the worst of them all.

Years
  • I wouldn't really say Snorlax because as long as you have a fighting type with fighting moves it's possible to OHKO. His Special Defense is greater than his Defense so those physical attacks would do more damage. I think Rest made him seem tankier though somehow. I think as long as you had a Pokemon with a good Attack stat, you'd be able to deal with Snorlax.

Slowbro for me is the tankiest, because super effective moves didn't always hit as hard as you'd think and if you had no electric or dark-types, then Slowbro would be a serious pain sometimes.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2020
    I Think Chansey ,Dragonite or Snorlax ,Oh and also Muk! They are Pretty Tanky :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    Weezing and Slowbro have been mentioned but I'll second them as not obvious but surprisingly tanky choices.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Snorlax would be my first thought as far as a tank-y team. Out of the starters, I would say either Venusaur or Blastoise. Vaporeon and Slowbro are amazingly tanky too. If you're going for just straight up wall, though, then Muk, Weezing, Chansey, and Mr. Mime are good options.

Years
  • I think most of what was mentioned above, but definitely Snorlax is one I'd mention. It can not only take hits but it can dish them out as well. Venusaur is also quite tankish given its defensive capabilities, but Blastoise and even Slowbro come close.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Snorlax since he's really hard to beat for the Red battle in the previous gen. Even then trying to lower his HP for FR/LG will take a while too unless you have a fighting type.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Chansey is the tankiest but it has the worst Defense out of all Pokemons. It can do very well on surviving special attacks.

Back