• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"This is my grandson. Erm...what was his name again?"

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
  • A thread in both Metal & Colour and in here gave me the idea. What do you name your rivals in any and/or every Pokemon game? Do you prefer what the dudes at Game Freak have pre prepared? Or do you use your own mind to create names? It could be related to a friend, or a reference? I don't know what creative prowess the people of PC have in terms of names of their rivals, but do share!

(yes I know that the title references gen 1, but this is related to all games!)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Silver, I've named my rival... well, Silver. Had no idea what else to go with. xD;; In Gold and Crystal, I think it was also Silver. In FireRed and LeafGreen, I went with Blue. In HeartGold, I chose "Kevin," and in SoulSilver, it was "Chris." As for other games, I don't really remember, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I always name the rival in HG/SS either Bob or Paul for some reason. Other than that I just use the default names.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Game Freak has toned-down the rivals a bit. If we get another annoying one in future generations, I'll call him Umadbro? to represent his trolling nature. If the rival is female, I'll name her HaygurlHay.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • Usually weird things like words or even like odd names. I onced named my rival snargle. Weird. Now adays its Chase, being how its my friend.

Years
  • In most names, I name them either a totally random name, or if that is currently the case, the name of a person I currently dislike very much. Usually it's a random name, though.

Except for the Johto-Rival. He'll ALWAYS be ??? to me in the games.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I remember now!
    His name is [obscene word]!

JK, I usually name them random names, but for aw while I would name them after my close childhood friend.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2014
    Gold/Silver usually Silver (Im soo original..)
    BW2 I named him Hue..
    In Red/Blue he's either Blue or Green...Or Guri (how some Japanese pronounce "green")

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Back in the day, I used to name my rival those things you do when you're a child and you think its funny and don't like your rival that much. Things like Dumbass or Poopface (admit it, you all did something like that when you were kids too).

But I haven't done that in a long time. Now I just go with whatever random thing pops in my head (that is not childish) or use one of the default names. I'ma so bad at coming up with names for stuff...

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • In the RBY and GSC gens, I always named him something obscene/derogatory. I especially liked it whenever Oak would call his grandson "♥♥♥♥" or the like.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    In RBY, he was the Gary to my Ash, and I went with the default/cannon names in GSC and RSE. DPPt was the only game I gave a stupid name to my rival, but I restarted and renamed him after because he wasn't as big of a douche as I expected (yeah, he's annoying and all, but he is supposed to be my friend) so I went back and gave him a normal generic human name.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Either I stick with pre-defined names or rather humorous ones. But I stick with predefined one as I can't think much of a name.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I think my most consistent rival name has been Luke, lmao! It started out as me choosing a random name and later I met the user, luke (now Black Mage) and I use his name now whenever I don't have one to go with a theme. In my Monotype challenges I usually name my rival something that I think counters my Mono trainer's name. Like in my Water Monos I'm Mako, and my rival is Drako. Before that I either named my rival after my brother of a friend who was also playing the game.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • When it comes to the rivals, at first I named them really random things. Now I name the rivals Revan instead.
    I spy a KotOR fan. {:3}
    And I usually name them what they are in the Anime (Gary, Blue, Silver, etc.) or else I will name them after my brother or best friend.

Years
  • I hate to be completely unoriginal... but I am. I can't recall the last time (or any time) that I named the rival anything other than what they're officially known as. So, from what I remember, Silver, Blue, Hugh, etc. all got to keep their names.

The one deviation to this was naming Silver '???' in Pokemon Gold. He told me that's what his name was after I battled him, so ??? he was! My second go-around I named him Silver though, since I felt pretty stupid for doing that.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I go with whatever Game Freak gives me. I remember that I named myself after a fanmade Eeveelution, and named my rival after another. I don't know why, but I did it.

The best name for a rival's definitely ???. I know it's silly and stupid, but it's also funny. I mean, it's like "What's your name?" "I...I...I DON'T KNOW ;_;". Then, we give him the marks of eternal questioning. The ?. 3 of them for emphasis. Alas, you have ???.

Back