• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Thoughts on Fairy Types Now?

Years
  • Fairy types rock haha, The fact they kill dragons is awesome (I know Dragons can but they dont have a clear advantage being strong and weak to each other and Ice types are just dull) and being effective Dark types and Fighting types is neat so (Yes Die scrafty and scraggy my most hated pokemon).
    But on the flip side of the coin why is Granbull and Mr Mime Fariy types Granbull looks like a Racist football hooligan (not a Fairy) and Mime looks like someone you wouldn't leave your kids with and as for Aromatisse it looks like an overweight middleaged woman who spends most nights at the bingo.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Fairy type gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I don't like it because its another problem for my beloved dragons to deal with (and its really annoying how Fairy is IMMUNE to Dragon). I think Game Freak was overestimating Dragons. They aren't THAT hard to kill. Half of them can't take an Ice Shard worth a crap (which is why I have a Mamoswine). On the other hand, there are a few Fairies I like, such as (Mega) Gardevoir and Sylveon.

But at least Fairy isn't as OP as I feared it would be. So I'm now fine with it existing.

One thing I don't get with the types though is why they made Steel no longer resist Ghost and Dark. Especially Ghost, since now the only thing that resists it is Dark, creating a Dragon-like problem.

But this is Game Freak, after all. They do a lotta stuff that doesn't make sense, like giving one of the most powerful Pokémon in existence 2 mega evolutions, or giving Tyrantrum an ability but no moves to use it with, or a move that basically requires a certain ability that is currently impossible to get.

And Dark needs a gym. Its the only type to still not have a gym.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • I think the Idea behind Flabebe is that Kalos has a lot of fairy pokemon BUT Fairy is still a NEW Type to them. They only now discovered it. How is it possible for Kalos to not know about Fairy Type until now...?

Flabebe. Kalos probably classified it as Pure Grass until recently. I learn grass type attacks, it evolves into a FLOWER. But now they know it is a fairy.
    Yeah, because in Kalos Flabebes did never engage a battle against a fire , dragon, bug, fighting, poison, steel,water or dark pokemon until pokemon X and Y was released.(and thus no one couldnt know about fairies until 2013 XD)
    Overall, the best thing about fairy is that it indirectly buffs Fire and Ice Pokemon(ad it was really something to do).
    But as it happened for dark and steel in gen II, Fairy movepool is too small as we speak and we cannot judge how fairies' addition will impact the game yet (for example, moves like Hypno's disable are very good to counter fairy types in double or triple battles, as we got only 2 offensive strong fairy moves as of now )

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I like Xerneas enough. The wording on his Geomancy power was a little confusing, but I'm happy that he doesn't die by the time the buff goes off.

Still need to capture a Mawile. I didn't bother looking at the resistances/weaknesses before beating the game. Mawile has done well for itself by tacking on the Fairy type.

My only beef with the Fairy type is that its super-effective against Dark for some reason. I'd have preferred Normal in its place.

Years
  • I like Fairy type because it has made me realize how much I love Steel and Poison types. :P

But in all seriousness, I like the counter it provides to Dragon type. There are times when I'm in the Battle Maison and I start panicking when a Dragon is out if my Greninja (knows Ice Beam) is defeated, but then I remember that I have Mawile. It's nice to have two ways to take them out because they can do some serious wreckage to my team.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I think i will wait till the next game were they introduce more fairy types. i will say that i think its weakness to steel is a little random, all the other type weaknesses make sense but i can't place my finger on that weakness.

Heh, that's understandable confusion - I think Fairy pokémon's weakness to Steel is to symbolise machines/technology versus myth & fantasy. Think about it, with the advent of the modern age less & less people believe in fairies. Obviously just my opinion though!

I'm not suprised at all that the Fairy type was only just classified, it happens all the time in real life. Did you guys know puffins were considered half bird, half fish for hundreds of years? The fact that science has finally caught up with Fairy types & they FINALLY get the recognition they deserve is great!

I'm happy that Gamefreak has rebalanced the types, my only issues is that I keep forgetting to consider Fairies when I'm building my team. ( T_T)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Heh, that's understandable confusion - I think Fairy pokémon's weakness to Steel is to symbolise machines/technology versus myth & fantasy. Think about it, with the advent of the modern age less & less people believe in fairies. Obviously just my opinion though!

I'm not suprised at all that the Fairy type was only just classified, it happens all the time in real life. Did you guys know puffins were considered half bird, half fish for hundreds of years? The fact that science has finally caught up with Fairy types & they FINALLY get the recognition they deserve is great!

I'm happy that Gamefreak has rebalanced the types, my only issues is that I keep forgetting to consider Fairies when I'm building my team. ( T_T)

Actually the weakness to steel is a reference to how the mythical fairy is weak to iron in the old folk legends, so it's not random at all. Btw the weakness to poison is a reference to how in some myths fairies would dry up and die due to pollution...

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Heh, that's understandable confusion - I think Fairy pokémon's weakness to Steel is to symbolise machines/technology versus myth & fantasy. Think about it, with the advent of the modern age less & less people believe in fairies. Obviously just my opinion though!
    Fairy type being weak to Steel is actually a tip of the hat to legends of old. To keep ill-tempered fae away from your house/children, you were supposed to have horseshoes (or other trinkets) that were forged from cold iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Fairy type being weak to Steel is actually a tip of the hat to legends of old. To keep ill-tempered fae away from your house/children, you were supposed to have horseshoes (or other trinkets) that were forged from cold iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

Lol, thanks, though the previous poster already told me pretty much the same thing... I wasn't even the person who was originally confused!! :P

Insanium

Jimmy Cream
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    As far as im concerned, in terms of balancing types, fairys introducrion has brought the poison type up to the plate as a relevant threat. Yea sure, dragon type has a something new to fear but I think the reason they were overpowered was because of their stats and large movepools.

Back