• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Threads redirecting to off-site pages

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • This morning, I've experienced a couple of threads in Pokémon Gaming Central (possibly other parts of the forum as well) redirecting me to off-site pages.
    (example 1, example 2)

Is this a glitch in the system or something?

EDIT: this thread is doing it too, as soon as I posted it. XD

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Try to take a screenshot of the ad in the Sponsored Links section before the redirecting occurs, or at least try to take a glimpse of it. I contacted Rukario about this, but he needed to know specifically what ad it was. I haven't been able to figure that out since the ad no longer appears for me now.

Years
  • I don't think you should be seeing ad links as a Platinum tier member. If you are, then contact Rukario and he can see your permissions.

Years
  • I'm a Crystal Supporter and the links are working okay for me. I have a feeling something could be wrong with your usergroup if that's what I'm hearing from posts here, but hopefully someone should fix it soon.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Thank god, I thought I was going crazy thinking I was the only one experiencing this issue. Ads have been popping up for me on and off all this week - a lot of them involving Ellen Degenerous surprisingly.

I don't think you should be seeing ad links as a Platinum tier member. If you are, then contact Rukario and he can see your permissions.

As a Platinum member myself, I've been experiencing it as well so unless it's just a coincidence them I don't want to say it's tier specific; I think this is a glitch that's affecting all tiers.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • I'm not able to reproduce this,, I doubt its anything on PC itself and could be related to your browsing history and/or 'super' tracking cookies set by other sites forcing invasive ads on you (then again, google based ads are NOT suppose to redirect) or your computer has become infected with some sort of malware.
    I'd scan the comp with a couple good AV and anti-malware apps and make sure its clean.

If you're sure you're PC's clean, then we need to catch it in the act.. grab a "view source" of the page before it redirects if possible.. so we can see whats doing it.

BTW, everyone sees the sponsored link at the bottom of the page before the QR text box or is suppose to.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • This happens to me as well (randomly); I have AdBlock on and it happens solely on PC. I don't think it would be occurring on so many users' computers unless it was site-related/ad-related.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Well I've been away from my computer for about seven hours now, and it hasn't repeated itself since I logged in again, but I'll be sure to try and capture the source like Steve suggests if it happens again. :P

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Haven't seen jack, on Opera with ABP. I don't think it's a permissions issue given circumstance, guys.

It may be browser-specific, though. Opera may be the reason I don't see anything - Firefox and Chrome may be being preyed on.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • It just redirected me again to an ad. The link to the actual lab can be found here. I've also attached a screenshot of what it looks like.
    I noticed that it was on your mobile device.. is it possible you accidentally tapped it while scrolling or something?

If you are running Firefox (or one of its clones) try this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...tions+window+-+Advanced+panel#w_accessibility

Google is pretty adamant about ads not just redirecting any page they're displayed on on ad/page load.. they have to be clicked, etc.

UPDATE: Google and their adsense team is aware of this issue, it is a new kind of flash based (for the most part) scam-mal-ad and they are actively working on removing it from their network and the other ad netowrks Google works with.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I noticed that it was on your mobile device.. is it possible you accidentally tapped it while scrolling or something?

If you are running Firefox (or one of its clones) try this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...tions+window+-+Advanced+panel#w_accessibility

Google is pretty adamant about ads not just redirecting any page they're displayed on on ad/page load.. they have to be clicked, etc.

UPDATE: Google and their adsense team is aware of this issue, it is a new kind of flash based (for the most part) scam-mal-ad and they are actively working on removing it from their network and the other ad netowrks Google works with.

I would honestly love to say that I just accidentally clicked something, but that is not the case. I tested that theory out by just clicking a thread and taking my finger off of the phone's keypad. Sadly, it still redirected itself automatically and without user interaction.

It's an iPhone so I use Safari, not Firefox.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm having a similar problem as well. Whenever I try to open up PC, a malware pop-up or PC (as in computer) setting page takes me off-site. It's only been happening on my own computer, as I'm using my family computer to type this here. I scanned for any viruses using McAfee, but nothing's been detected, so I don't know if it's PC that's infected. I tried pressing the print screen button when it happened again for evidence, but I can't seem to find the saved screenshot on my own computer.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I'm having a similar problem as well. Whenever I try to open up PC, a malware pop-up or PC (as in computer) setting page takes me off-site. It's only been happening on my own computer, as I'm using my family computer to type this here. I scanned for any viruses using McAfee, but nothing's been detected, so I don't know if it's PC that's infected. I tried pressing the print screen button when it happened again for evidence, but I can't seem to find the saved screenshot on my own computer.

if it's only happening on your computer then it probably is your computer. Try downloading Malwarebytes and scanning your computer with that. McAfee and other antiviruses are good detecting trojans and other types of viruses, but usually suck at detecting malware. Give that a try and tell us how it went. :)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • if it's only happening on your computer then it probably is your computer. Try downloading Malwarebytes and scanning your computer with that. McAfee and other antiviruses are good detecting trojans and other types of viruses, but usually suck at detecting malware. Give that a try and tell us how it went. :)

Unfortunately, even my family computer got these malware pop-ups whenever I go to PC. Either there's something wrong with our computers or PC is vulnerable to malware.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I haven't noticed anything of this sort occuring. Although I have recently noticed text based ads getting around my ad blocker despite that not happening in the past.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • when you use "print screen" it copies the screen image to your clipboard. (alt +print screen copies the active window) You need to paste it into an image app.. like paint or photoshop or what have you.

also +1 for using malwarebytes to scan after your own AV scans. You may also want to look for rogue startup items and so on.

Back