• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tides of Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    Allrighty, yet ankother RP idea of mine. This is closely based upon the literary work of "The outstretched shadow" Who's author currently elludes me. ^_^;

This is your typical fantasy roleplay, unicorns, castes, centaurs, villages, elves, enchanted forests, and so on.

In the Golden City, as it has become known, the people that are citizens live in peace. It rains only lightly, and only late at night. Food and entertainment is plentiful, and the city is spaceous. The city is managed by the council of mages, the practicioners of "High magic" As it is called, based upon careful concentration, equations, and symbols to invoke power.

Spread out dotted across the land, are the Wild mages, who usually take roles as healers, and mystics. Paying for their magic with their own power, power given by others, and by deeds. The wild magic is done by focus on the heart, and the soul, and the will to accomplish great things.

The high mages believfe that practicioning wild magic can eventually corrupt one, and if let go for long enough, turn them into a demon. This is only a rumor of course, and untrue. But there is a dark side to magic. The endarkened, the only truly everlasting beings have become active, kidnapping travellers and slaves, using them as food and workers, teaching the few talented the art of blood magic. Blood magic, what really corrupts a person, thopugh he may never become a demon, is what hapens when one does not pay the price for wild magic. Taking the life or power or another to fuel oneself, without their consent.

The endarkened seem to have dropped out of existance, dissapeared in the great war hundreds of years ago. However, they live in quiet silence, waiting, plotting, and manipulating events to their favor...

Our characters start as humans, either in the high city, or as one of the many wild mages scattered across the land, and here's the much needed form:

Name:
    Age: (Just because you're a mage doesn't mean you're old and wrinkly, there are even child mages.)
    Mage-type: (Wild mage, or high mage, or none. You will be llowed to pick up a form of during the RP, if you wish.)
    History: (Optional)
    Personality: (Optional)

And lastly, for the sake of conveniance, high mages will be starting in the golden city, and wild mages scattered loosely in the great forest just outside of it's amazingly huge borders. People without magic at sign-up may choose where to stay. And yes, there are villages scattered around the great forestlanmds.

Last edited:

Anacortes

absurdities..
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Name: Staci
    Appearance: Her hair is black, and eyes dark brown. She wears a metching white dress and light blue outfit. She is considered to be very slender, but her face is unusually round and fat.
    Mage-type: Wild mage

Years
    Name: Eclipse
    Appearance: Black hair, red eyes, black sleeveless shirt, and black jeans. Around her neck she wears a gold amulet with the image of a unicorn on it.
    Mage-type: None
    History: Unknown, but she spends most of her time keeping away from people, and has sometimes been seen riding a black unicorn with a golden spiral horn.
    Personality: She's not exactly the most social person, but she is polite when forced into conversation unless the person she's talking to is being annoying. At that point, she's just going to take off without a second look.

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    Name: Robert
    Appearance: Clad in loose fitting tanned hides, he looks more like what you would expect of a hunter or trapper, rather than a healer. He has dark, messy brown hair, and shockingly hazel eyes.
    Mage-type: Wild Mage
    History: Vewwy vewwy secret. >_> You might find out eventually if you know him well enough.
    Personality: (Optional)

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2008
    Name::
    Riato

Male

Appearance::
    Tall and Handsome, he has long blonde hair. His hazel eyes make him look deadly during battles. He wears dark robes which cover him fully, like a traditional wizard. His long arms make it very easy for him to cast spells and this is one of the main reasons for his success in quick attacks. He wears a long, glittering golden chain with the picture of his favorite element ? ?thunder?.

Mage-type::
    Wild Mage

History:
    Both his parents are high mages and they left Riato alone when they found out that he was more interested in being a wild mage. The lonely Riato spent most of his late childhood in forest, in the company of Centaurs, Unicorns and Elves from whom he learnt the art of healing. He heals others perfectly and develops his strength due to this.

Personality::
    A loner by nature, loneliness became and integral part of his life due to separation from his family. He prefers talking to other races than mages but is loyal to the few wizard friends he has.

~ CC

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Name: Alexander Eldrith
    Appearance: Dresses the part completely, with flowing white robes covered in so many glyphs and runes that the air veritably crackles when he walks by. Tall and slender, he looks almost half-Elvish with his blond hair (grown to just beyond his shoulders) and ice-blue eyes. Despite these typicall handsome features, many people avoid him because of the typically dreamlike cast of his face, or, when that is not in place, the look that anyone who gets in his way will hind up missing key organs.
    Mage-type: High Mage
    History: Alexander was trained as a mage from as far back as he can remember, by a (now-deceased) High Mage by the name of Eliminster. The magecraft is an all-consuming passion of his life, all aspects of it. Because of this, many of his fellow High Mages have ostracized him.
    Personality: Completely controlled by his studies of anything to do with mages, particularly the Endarkened because records of their craft are so spotty. He barely even notices the snide comments and nasty looks given to him by his peers. They are forced to recognize, though, his sheer magical prowess and intelligence, though they remain convinced that he's wasting it on fruitless studies.

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    OOC: Okay, I think I can start this now, though others are still welcome to join.

I woke up inside my small house, today seemed to be like any other day. A small log cabin settled in a small clearing was what I called home. It was sparsely furnished, the only 'furniture' being several shelves on which I kept my healing supplies, and a small bedroll. I rose, and donned my hides as usual, my mind pretty much devoid of thought. The high council of mages still felt that humans were above nonhumans, city dwellers above natives, and lastly, mages above citizens. Here out of the vast territory of the golden city however, things were free. Humans and centaurs lived together in a settlement not too far from here. Nature co-existed with the wild magic, where as the high magic had supressed, and controlled it. I was dwelling upon my breakfast of dried fruit and salt pork when I heard an unusual summons at my door. Not a knock, but more like the scrabbling of claws. Or hooves, as the case was...

~Ozy~

Years
    The bedclothes in my chambers were tangled about again. The coverlet had slid off entirely, and the sheets were twisted in a knot around my neck. Another of those dreams, of something unseen beckoning me away from the symbols and runes that I'd dedicated my life to. Nothing more than that sense, though the dream was always well beyond vivid when I was in the midst of it. walking over to my nightstand, I splashed some cold water across my face to wake up and towled myself off. I rulled on my undergarmets, and then robes before leaving my chambers in the Palace of Magic entirely, headed straight for the library. My own rather limited selection of histories and geneologies of the magecraft was far too limited and the Council was still "considering" my request to leave the city to do field research. Considering! Bah! Weak-minded old fools, the lot of them. I stormed into the library, robes fluttering behind me. Even the librarian, who always had a snide comment for me above all others didn't say a thing when he looked my way.

Years
    My breath was short as I raced across a large grassy field, feeling my mount's mane in my face. I crouched down as my (to anyone else) black mare jumped over a small creek, slowing to a stop on the opposite bank. She shook her mane lightly, and I looked at her golden horn. It was glowing brightly enough to be out of most people's vision spectrum, but for me it was clear as day. she neighed slightly, as I patted her neck, and she took off again, nearly unseating me, though I quickly stabilised myself as I just let her run until she would run out of energy...

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    I rose and moved to the door, and opened it easily. To my suprise, I found a white unicorn pawing at my door, and several others helping a young one along.

A unicorn resembles a horse in the same way that a dog resembles a wolf. They were more slender, and slightly smaller than horses, with rippling muscles under their soft hide. They weren't made for hauling loads, but for swift getaways from almost any predator. Their hooves were more like that of a large deer, but for the fact that they were sharp.

It looked almost catlike as it stood there, it's ghostly white fur tinged with blue and other pale colors barely visible. "Wild mage," It said, a male, seemingly the leader, though how unicorn herds worked was beyond me. "We request your assistance. One of our young ones was wounded in an accident." I was already moving towards it. It tried to move away in fear, but the others reassured it. I saw that it had a huge gash across it's leg, probably from falling onto a rock. "I can heal this, but I need to ask you to share in the price of the healing." The leader nodded his head, and I rose. I went into my hut.

In moments, I came back with what looked like long leaves, and something that resembled cottage cheese from the texture of it. I quickly spread the salve across the gash, and wrapped the leaves tightly around it's leg, the sturdyness of the leaves keeping them from snapping. I rose to my feet, and in my mind, I heard the magic. "I heal for life, I ease the pain. I am willing to pay the price, and those around me consent to share the cost of what I ask." I said, continuing my exact request in my mind. There was no trace of energy, no bright sparks or smoke. Yet each of the unicorns were suddenly tired, and I felt as though I had just ran a marathon. The price was divided to the point where no task to repay the healing would be neccisary, but in our own energy.

The leader shook himself, and looked over at me. "We thank you, wild mage." And with that, as though by an unspoken command, they moved off. The little one running circles around several others, as though happy to have the use of his leg back. I turned around, walking into my cottage, muttering incoherently about "Vain horses..."

Last edited:
    Years
    I noticed a cottage, with a man moving back into it, bor more importantly, I noticed the unicorn herd. Immediatly, i felt my unicorn's pace nearly double, its hooves sounding like thunder to my ears as it moved into its full speed, quickly catching up with the herd. I managed to keep on his back, but I could tell that it was moving fast enough to the point where tripping would have serious consequences, more for me then it though...

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    I heard the chaos of several hooves hitting ground. I was about to close my door, when I heard the sound of a hoof pace that was highly irregular. I turned around, and noticed a girl riding on a black unicorn. This was doubly suprising, first because I had no idea that black unicorns were possible, secondly, because seeing a human rider on one was rare. I noticed the pace, and realised that she must have lost control over the unicorn. I began running. I knew I couldn't catch up to a running unicorn, but I could be closer in case something happened to make her fall off...

Years
    Well, i hadn't really lost control, but suddenly, I felt the unicorn's step falter, as he tripped on something and fell, throwing me from his back. I hit the ground hard, hearing a dull crack in my arm and sudden overwhelming pain. My unicorn was fine though as he got to his feet, walking over to me, and noticing the broken arm, stepped away, the smell of blood repelling him, but he knew I was going to need help, soon. it was the same broken arm, and likely the same place of the break, as it had been the last few times I fell off and was injured...

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    I continued moving. I could see what happened, but I was a good distance away. Talk about timing though, this was right when I was still drained from the last healing... I would do everything I could for her, howver. That was the purpose of being a healer. To heal, of course...

Years
    My unicorn looked up for a moment, then shied away as he saw a man approaching. I would have done the same if my arm wasn't too injured for me to get onto his back and take off in a rush. For me, this was the worst time possible to get hurt, I couldn't run, and there was no time for me to splint my arm...

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    "Relax," I said, approaching. "I'm a wild mage, I'm a healer. I couldn't harm you if I wanted to." I said, kneeling down beside her. I placed my hands on her arm, and gingerly felt it. "Certainly broken, but I can have you in good shape soon enough." I said, thinking. I was low on energy, but I had enough to increase the speed of her normal healing. After all, not all a healer learned was magic.

Years
    I winced in pain as his hands touched my arm, and I heard my unicorn shifting from foot to foot nervously. I understood the meaning clearly. He wasn't certain, and he was tenced to charge if he had to. I was really wishing i could kick this guy without becoming too injured by my arm to be able to...

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
    I felt their uneasiness. "Relax, both of you." I said, moving her arm to her wide, being extremely gentle. "I can't hurt you, I'm going to heal you." I said reasurringly. "I'll keep you informed on everything I do. You unicorn can ocme with me if you want, to make certain I don't try anything, I'm unarmed." I explained, thinking. "I'm going to give you a flask," I said, reaching into into my hide clothing. "You'll go to sleep after you drink it. You can tell me not to use it, but I think it'll be better than the pain." I said, pulling a tiny flask from within my clothes, and holding it towards he good arm.

Anacortes

absurdities..
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Far away from the crowd, I wandered around on my own in those old familiar woods, looking for something to do, which was no more than blank green space. I sat myself down near the opening of a forest and waited for someone to come pass by me, if anyone is going to. every day, I'd waited there boringly, to see no sight of other activity. Hopelessly, I drifted off into a light sleep..

~Ozy~

Years
    I traced my fingers lightly along the pages of the third geneology. This one dated back several centuries, containing information that I doubted even the most learned of the Council knew. It was then that my fingers stopped dead on a name. Eldrith. A dashed line linked my ancestors name to another box, simply labeled "wild mage." I snarled under my breath, then double-checked. It was there, and he'd had three children with that uncouth wench. I almost flung the tome across the room in rage, but thought better of it. An annoyed librarian could make life miserable.

I slammed the volume shut and stood. I worked to regain my composure under the pretext of adjusting my robes. Face smooth again, I glided from the library and back up to my own rooms. I needed a drink, and a strong one at that. Maybe a nap, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back