• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Many Games

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • My Steam library has, at the time of writing, 876 games. A good deal are from bundles, others games I bought independently.

Big Steam libraries are nothing new, really, but Steam culture has certainly done a great deal to influence how digital (and physical, to some extent) sale is handled. My 3DS is flooded with games to the point that I had to get a 64gig, My Vita's flooded to the point that I had to get an 8gig (getitbecauseexpensive- anyway), and hell, to some extent so are my PS4 and Wii U.

But, when looking at these gigantic libraries, I'm met with disinterest. Back when I used to pirate as a poorer child, the same thing happened. It was just too much for too little, and the loss that I took for getting the games wasn't enough for me to get enthused about playing them (basically cognitive dissonance at its best). Oftentimes, I pass over games I was excited to buy cheap for specific games. I can't tell you how many times I've browsed my library post-Steam Sale only to decide to play Osu. Which is free.

---

With that said, does this happen to you? Do you feel like, the more games you get (or alternatively, the availability of so many games), the more you're put off by them or less motivated to play them?

TY

Depends on the game really. There are games I just cannot get enough of (basically games that I spend days if not weeks into trying to get everything done, but then there are also games that just don't see the daylight anymore on my PC or PS4 because of the sheer ammount of owned games that I have.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Yes this does happen often. I currently only have 94 games on steam(did you say almost 900?!) And I will end up not wanting to play any of them. For most of them I was excited to buy them but either due to me not liking the game, picking up something new, or just lack of interest some just never get played anymore (or ever in some cases)

Damn steam sales....DAMN YOU GABEN!

pkmin3033

This is happening to me right now and it's driving me absolutely bloody INSANE. I have a habit of buying games I'm interested in as soon as they come out; too many times in the past I've had to pay above RRP for a game because of limited stock after release. Whilst a lot of the games I want go down in price, an equal amount don't, so to save myself the worry I just buy everything.

The problem? I'm never ready to play them, and when I finish one game I'm spoilt for choice. I hop between games until something sticks, and I find it quite difficult to get motivated sometimes when I have so much to choose from that looks appealing. I had to buy a 64GB Vita memory card which I've nearly filled up with games, I've had to do some serious inventory management on my PS4 recently, I had to upgrade my PS3 to a 500GB when it broke because a 250GB wasn't big enough, and I have about 20 unplayed 3DS games now. I don't do Steam for my own sanity, but if I did...

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    Wow, and I thought I had a lot of games! I only have 371 games on my Steam account, most of which are from the Steam sales and Humble Bundles. It really is easy to just pile them up when they're sold for so cheap! I have loads of untouched games on other consoles, too. For some reason, I'm just compelled to buy and own games.

I don't buy as many games these days, though, because I want to get through my backlog of games first. It can get pretty tough, too, since I do get unmotivated to play the games I have, just because there's so many of them. The other problem is choosing a game I want to play. I just can't decide sometimes and just give up on playing altogether. The guilt I get from playing games, now that I'm older, doesn't help either.

It was a lot easier for me back then when I had only a handful of games to choose from, and wouldn't get games until a while later. I could just sit down and play a game several times, but these days, it's hard to replay a game when I have so many waiting for me, haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yea, it definitely happened in the past.
    That's why in January I bought everything I wanted up until now (with the exception of Zero and Ao no Kiseki) and now I no longer plan to buy old games and only concentrate on new releases.

Also, I found planning really useful to avoid this.
    Just plan what games you want to play and follow it.

My Vita's flooded to the point that I had to get an 8gig
    This hurt a bit...

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Ha! I thought I had a lot to choose from with just about 10 or so physical games we haven't played yet. But really, it does feel like a lot. I barely use Steam or anything, but we do tend to buy a few physical games every few months, and it's like... we never run out of things to play. Which can be kind of dissatisfying since I'm kind of a person who likes to complete things and then move on after I've done so. Luckily, I don't really care for non-JRPGs or indie games for the most part, so I don't get quite as inundated as others.

Years
  • No, I only buy games after I've given it some thought and decided they are actually games I want to play, even if something I'm somewhat interested in is hella cheap, I won't buy it unless I know I'm going to play it. I've saved money over the last few years doing this, money I will then spend on games I will actually play.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Now this is a thread I can relate to. :P Backlog burn-out.

I'm nearing 1,500 games on Steam; between Origin and Uplay there's another 70~ or so; and then there's a small handful on GOG..
    My consoles aren't as bad. Only about 40 between my Wii U and 3DS, though pretty much all of them have gone untouched, save for maybe 5 of them.

And here I am. Replaying old favorites (the Resident Evil HD releases, Animal Crossing: New Leaf) and some more or less "free" games (Pokemon Rumble World every day, and FF14, which the boyfriend is paying for, so it's free for me).

I was really excited when I actually played Fallout 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition throughout November and December. From recent memory, those are pretty much the only two games I bought with the intention to play... and actually played them. I even tried to organize my backlog by the amount of time that HLTB told me they'd take - I thought it might make new things less intimidating to jump into if I had an idea of how much of my life they'd consume. It uh.. it didn't help.
    I want to play them, I just... don't want to. There's too many of them; I can't decide what to do next, and then I end up doing more of the same.https://www.pokecommunity.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I learned this the hard way. There came a point where i would simply suck at everything that I'm playing because I was playing way too many games for my own good. I would play League of Legends, then after winning a game, i'd play something from my laptop like some emulated ones, or some goodies from my 3DS or our PS3. And I haven't gotten to the specifics of what titles I'm playing on said handheld and console and the next day, I would play extremely poorly in a League game like having a score of 1-11-10 (1 kill, 11 DEATHS, and 10 assists) and be really pissed off at myself by not concentrating on what i really want to be good at.

Its a big burden. I remember being flooded with so many games in my PSX that i would walk around like a headless chicken not knowing what I want to do with my life. So in my case, its really better to just keep a small but good library of games while still keep up my gameplay in League. To anyone who can relate, just keep a small but decent library of games so that you don't have to suffer from playing poorly in your respective competitive multiplayer game of your profession.

Right now, I don't even have that many titles on my 3DS and PS3 and the best part is that i made sure to keep as many different genres as possible. I don't want to spend the next few days playing DMC and DMC clones over and over to the point where i actually get sick of said title and genre.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • ...and I thought my own boyfriend had the most games in the world. I'm just mindblown that people can have like...more than a thousand games. O_o

Meanwhile I have about 27 games on Steam, along with 7 Wii U games, 8 3DS games, and 9 XBOX 360 games...and yes I am met with disinterest because I just feel overwhelmed with so many games i got (I am crazy). I just want to stick with one and then move on with another and all that jazz, but at the same time I'm neglecting the other games I got as if I didn't have a reason to buy it.

I feel like that number of Steam games is going to increase.

Back