• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tough times..

Years
  • If you do not feel up to working on your project anymore, I do not see why you should force yourself to do so. It would most likely only result in work that is half as good as if you were still working on it with full consent. However, throwing away months of hard work would be a shame. I'd like to see your sprites and the battle system myself, as I used to keep track on the development of the RM2k/2k3 battle system, as it seemed (which it does still) like people really need one.
    We also seem to lack a proper one for RMXP, since it's mostly just a basic system.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
  • I don't work with RMXP much but my opinion is that if you don't feel like working on it anymore, you should look around and maybe pass the project over to other people who are good at RMXP or maybe contact Blizzy and see if he's willing to put that battle system as a part of a new version of the starter kit or maybe even just give the cbs away with the condition that people give you credit. Since I use Sphere I will probably never be using the cbs but I think that it is a waste to just throw a finished CBS away :)

Dream Illusionist

//Teenager with S.T.Y.L.E.//
    Years
  • Relax. I think that's the first thing you should do. Sit down, breathe slowly... there.
    The choice is really yours. I believe you should not be continuing a work that it doesn't pleases you no-more. Game Development was for fun, not a work, an obligation. So if it doesn't make you happy, doesn't give you no fun in what you're doing, stop. That would only ruin the project and I'm sure you wouldn't want that. After all your hard work, you wouldn't like to see it all bad-made, so, again I say that you should stop. Now, the choice of what actually doing with it then is your option. You don't want it abandoned on your PC, I believe, so that's out of the question.. in my opinion, I think you just make a game thread for it, post the CBS and game, and tell them - tell all game-makers, what it is, your story, that the game is discontinued, and that someone can pick it up from the dust and continue with that great project of yours. You don't want to see it abandoned, I know. A game is something that was done with our hard work and we cherish it. No-one wants to see their projects up in the dust... it... saddens us. On the idea of giving the hard-made CBS on to a another person, like Blizzy (-=Virtual=-), even if you know the person well, even if it's your greatest internet friend... I wouldn't do it. Because from then on, it would be acknowledged as "Wow.... all thanks to (X)'s Game, now I have this really cool CBS! He's awesome!" And you? Where would you be? Where would your project be? A forgotten page in history, that's where it would be... all your hard-work...for nothing...~

So, sorry about all my rambling, and please consider carefully and slowly about what you should do. In fact, you have all time that you want, and this is an important desicion for you, so... don't rush, and think about it.

Last edited:

Demonic Budha

semi-good RMXPer (not script)
    Years
  • guess its time for an older guy to say something.
    Ive been working on my game now for just over 2 years.
    And you seem to be further along than me (battle system, custom sprite)
    I recently lost my game when my computer froze as i saved, when that happend i more or less died, i gave up and apparently didnt eat for 4 days (dont remeber from all the dizzyness) But unbenoist to me that a week earliyer i had gone to a friends (who wanted to critque my work) and i had copyed my entire folder to his computer. Luckly he told me before i dided,
    Anyway by now youre preobably woundering whats the point in my ramblings (young people these days....)
    Im just saying with the amout of hard work that you put into it, all that time and effort, that i belive that you would feel that it was all wasted, that all that hard work you did was for nothing.
    But i also agree with Avatar in that, dont force yourself to do it.
    If you feel that it is an accomplishable goal and that you belive that you truely can put 100% into it, then by all means continue.
    And as Avitar said no-one round here has a battle system that sounds so advance as yours. And i see it as a shame to lose all of that (mostly case in the year or so ive had RMXP ive lernt nothing of RGSS)
    So my finel verdict is that, Yes i belive that if you truely feel up to it than by all means you should finish it, but if it is just going to be a burden, then you could leave it. (But the third option, ask for help in the Request a Team thread)
    Hope my old man ramblings made sence and helped a bit.

MR.GLITCH_KING

~ThaEmbacy~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2008
    You should stop for awhile about a couple of months then continue it when you get reinspired or bored(if that happens)

Years
  • I guess I made the mistake of taking on more work than I could handle.. It doesn't seem like very much work when you are in the right mood... I haven't spoken to Rm2k3kid in a while, I hope everything is alright.

@Glitch: I already took a break for several months, I went to my dad's house. It didn't make me want to start work again.
    @Demonic: Of course my cbs would be more advanced, I've had more experience. I made a pokemon ABS and 2 half finished cbs'.. I don't feel up to completing the cbs though, that's what this whole thread is about.. I ran out of steam.
    @Sylph: Good advice, thanks :). I will have to talk with Rm2k3kid about the future of the cbs.. I would love for blizzy to continue work on it but he's a close friend too and I think he's had enough. He worked too hard on the starter kit just to get spammed and only receive minor credit.
    @Dark: Yeah it is a waste.. I was wondering if anyone would even be able to use it, let alone improve it... My scripting methods are very easy for me to understand but others may not fully understand it. Blizzy could easily but he doesn't deserve the burdon of being the only person who could do such a task. Just because he is a good scripter doesn't mean he has to take over anyone else's projects. It has never come up in conversation and it's up to him if it ever does.
    @Avatar: I would love to show you some of my sprites and get your opinion on them, and I wouldn't mind sending you a copy of the current system. However, Rm2k3kid is at the top of my list reguarding anything to do with our game.. I'll talk to him about it whenever he decides to talk.

I think a lot of people aren't replying to this thread because it's just a bit too much to read :P It's ok, I would like to thank everyone who gave me some kind of help, especially you avatar :D I appreciate each and every one of you for helping me through this phase of my life..

Daegon

Friend of all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2006
    Yo Meerkat, if you want to give up on everything do so.
    After all, you're nothing, and you've got nothing to lose!!

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    , Meow! meow... Sad to hear this, but don't worry you still have all those memories of working up till 2-6 am and realizing you been doing the wrong thing. Then redoing it and it working out better then you ever imagined it would. How about all the conceptual experience you gained. All the coding you did is not for nothing. It will always be with you. Even though you never finished the game, you still did some thing. And some thing is much better then nothing. You used your time to create some thing. Some thing that not any one can do, be proud, and take a break if the desire comes back explore the new things you can do with it. I constantly start and end different projects. Sad as it is that's life... f0ck things will only keep changing drastically with time. Enjoy doing nothing. And good luck man. To bad I never got to work with you when you were at your best im sure it would have been exciting and we could have even made some thing awesome. May the future hold many great accomplishments for you. Seeya around and good luck ;)

exteradude

I agree with Avatar. If you don't want to do it, don't do it, and you should pass it on to somebody else (Not me, of course, I don't know anything about scripting...).
    Once, I started on a poke-fangame game from scratch, and it seemed to be very good, but it got deleted. I got so mad! I was working on it non-stop for a long time, using all of my free time (But I still didn't make the CBS), and it all got destroyed, when somehow, after my computer got spyware, I removed it and the game kinda got infected.
    So, you know, I kinda know what you're talking about.

So, you're wondering what I am talking about? Well, I'll tell you some more.

I gave up. I started to work on other things, but the anger sweling inside me got even worse, every time I even looked at the icon of Rm2k3. I just gave up.
    So, now, I started to think, do other things, and goof around w/ my friends, and I got to think about my fangame.
    I started getting Blizzy's starterkit, and started to, well, gather scripts.
    Today, I am working on my fangame, and I'm having fun doing it, but I still remember the times.

Years
  • JDBDPSX_Kimeron said:
    Yo Meerkat, if you want to give up on everything do so.
    After all, you're nothing, and you've got nothing to lose!!
    It's sad to see people who don't contribute anything to society except complaints and insults. In my short game dev career, I have probably given more to help others than you will in your entire life, however painfully long it must be. I just hope that the next person you decide to make fun of, isn't as pathetically depressing as you are. -.-

Wala, you've got a lot of spirit. It's great to see a game developer with a spark like you, I'm sure whatever game you end up finishing it will be great. I think you are very wise for your time, take advantage of the moment and create something you will always be proud of :D

I had a big error with windows the other day, I almost lost everything. Thankfully it was repaired shortly after ;)
    I have still heard no word from Rm2k3kid and I'm not sure I will in the future..

Kimeron, you know I don't like you so what makes you think I will listen to any of your advice. After all, it's not the first time you've caused trouble on these forums. You disgust me as a human being, you're signature reflects your horribly warped personality and you have some kind of brain defficiancy with making friends. I hoped it would be a lot longer before I saw you ever again.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Krazy_Meerkat said:
    Wala, you've got a lot of spirit. It's great to see a game developer with a spark like you, I'm sure whatever game you end up finishing it will be great. I think you are very wise for your time, take advantage of the moment and create something you will always be proud of :D

Thanks but im 18 too and my Game Dev days seem to get closer to the end. I wounder how this will all end. Possibly with some thing pleasent, or horrible greaf, but an end is good at times. Meow Meow.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Hey dude, long time no speak.

I completely lost interest in Pokemon ages ago too. I've outgrowned it, just like you have. I mean, I've been 18 for a few months now and my life has changed dramatically. I'm now getting ready for university to study Computer Science and Game Design and taking on a part time job in the evenings to pay for it. I've also got a full time girlfriend, we'll be getting engaged in a few months and living together, it's all about the money these days.

I completely deteste rm2k/3 now, so I haven't even opened it in months. On top of that, I also hate Pokemon and Pokemon games in general. I haven't completely given up on game making, but I've waved farewell to Pokemon for at least a long time.
    I've also been studying RGSS in what little spare time I do have, I figured it'd help me to learn C++ in the long run and it's always nice to know an extra small language. But I've decided to make a "proper" RPG - Tales of Symphonia meets Final Fantasy style, and I've got more enthusiasm for this than I ever had with Hidden Depths. It's just so much more unique to have a game with unique (custom) graphics that actually look nice due to RMXP's charset sizes.

It's completely understandable how you're feeling, I'm sure everyone goes through a phase like that. All I can say is, if you feel like you never want to work on the project again and rm2k3kid feels the same, just discontinue it. If you want to share the work you've done so it's not completely wasted then go ahead, though I really doubt you'll find anyone to actually finish it for you. It seems on this forum that the RMXP users just want everything coded for them so that they're left with just minimal things to complete (all the people using the starter kit, for example). I'd suggest posting the game/code/whatever on forums like GamingW and RPG RPG Revolution and RMXP.net, where you're a hell of a lot more likely to find someone willing to finish what you started.

Personally, I'd say to leave it for now, walk away and don't think about it. And, after you've had a decent enough break, get online and download a good RPG, Pokemon one if need be, and play that. That's where I've always got my motivation and enthusiasm from. When I first started making Hidden Depths, it was Pokemon Liquid that inspired me to keep working. Then, when my motivation faded the first time, Pokemon Champion came along to boost it again. But this time, I've ran out of things to get me motivated, so I just walked away. If you don't find anything that gets you motivated then I guess it is over. Game making should never become a chore. Sure it's hard work and challenging, but you should never let it be a chore, something you have to do because you feel obligated.

Well, that's my rant over. Hope it all works out for you man, you're one of the first members I ever met on this forum.

Years
  • Thanks Dawson, It's good to know I'm not alone.. I think if we decide on giving the work away, we should find someone who will definately take it to the end. Someone with decent knowledge of rgss >.>
    The cbs might be released seperately so that a finished one may finally be available. This version is 70% completed at best..
    I see what you mean about the starter kit.. I didn't really approve of it at first, but it does provide a wide variety of games.. I doubt any credit would be given, as cbs's look fairly similar thesedays.. I know my own scripts when I see them -.-

I know how you feel about your new game, I always wanted to make something different because pokemon features are just not compatable with the rpgmaker series.

I know I have pushed myself a little too far sometimes, for example, when I coded the cns for the rm2k3 cbs.. It really drained me mentally. So I'm not going to continue anymore purely for the sake of finishing it, I just need to speak with Rm2k3kid..

It's good to see you again ^_^

D-jo4000

Gamemaster. Pokeruler
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    I feel your pain dawg. I know I'm only 12 but I advise you to try your best to find RK and talk to him about your problem (share your feelings, lol).
    Seriously if you want to make your next step in life go ahead. I growing away from Pokemon. I only use them for art. But if you believe you can finish the game, then do it.

Zerro

Dreamer
    Years
  • I agree Dawson. Take some time. When you lose inspiration for a game, it will most likly not turn out to good. In the pro world of game design Games are restarted from scrath over and over using the same knolege they learnt before hand. I say re submit it to the community. Of course there will be people that just use it for the sake of using it so there work can be minimal. But there will be some people to take the information given, and redesign it it. Making it better just like the pro's do.
    Good Luck.

Demonic Budha

semi-good RMXPer (not script)
    Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    Thanks Dawson, It's good to know I'm not alone.. I think if we decide on giving the work away, we should find someone who will definately take it to the end. Someone with decent knowledge of rgss >.>
    The cbs might be released seperately so that a finished one may finally be available. This version is 70% completed at best..
    I see what you mean about the starter kit.. I didn't really approve of it at first, but it does provide a wide variety of games.. I doubt any credit would be given, as cbs's look fairly similar thesedays.. I know my own scripts when I see them -.-

It's good to see you again ^_^

Curses if only i had a good knowledge of RGSS.....
    I think some people would give credit ( i know i have like a 2 page long list of credits i have to give) and i will.
    But of most of the people that have used the previous startedkits i dont know of many that have actually finished a game TO give credit.
    I dont really know where im going with this post...
    Just on a side note, not sure if you have seen the thread (also in this folder) about a community starterkit, you could always put all youre hardwork, such as scripts and helpfull knowledge into that.
    Anyway better get back to work b4 tutor sees me.

Back