• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen triple and rotate

Years
  • One of Gen 5s many things it did was add a whole 2 new battle formats; Triple and rotation

Triple had three pokemon on the field at once which required further attention to screen wide moves, but leads for more strategies(in theory)

Rotation had 3 pokemon but only one fought at a time and couple be swapped to one of your other 2 for trick ups and mind games

The thing i notice though is that both of these are some of the leasted talked about things about the often talked and beloved gen 5. So i have to wonder how popular they ever were. I guess they never caught on, which could explain why they were so quickly dropped( or maybe gamefreaks one-gimmick games started sooner than i thought)

What did you think of them and to anyone in the know, where these formats popular at the time?

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Triple and rotation battles as you can tell never really took off competitively. In my opinion triple battles are better than rotation battles. I hope I don't cause a stir here, I hope rotation battles never return.

Years
  • Triple and rotation battles as you can tell never really took off competitively. In my opinion triple battles are better than rotation battles. I hope I don't cause a stir here, I hope rotation battles never return.
    Its been decades now so i doubt they would return. Also i kinda have little attachment to both formats due to them never really getting any steam. Even in the main game only a handful of trainers battle in rotation or triple so...

Years
    • Seen today
    People already needed two different mindsets to approach singles and doubles, so two formats are enough. I guess the idea of having to adapt teams and strategies to yet two more different battle formats wasn't so appealing.

I personally found 3v3 battles a bit too convoluted, especially if there are advanced strategies into play. Too much stuff going on simultaneously.

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Another thing to mention they were starting to phase 3v3 and rotation battles in gen 7 if I'm not mistaken due to the game lag in gen 6 engine.

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Yes, but it's also in the lumiose City restaurants having all four formats. If I'm not mistaken, I think these formats can also be asked for on online battles, I've seen triple battles over wifi, but not rotation battles.

Years
  • Idk how to feel about them... in gen 5 they were too rare to be memorable. In the originals you can count the trainers that fought in these styles on both hands and although the sequels did add some more of them a 3rd hand will probably still suffice.
    In gen 6 they were all restricted to stuff I never really did, like the restaurants in XY or the food court in ORAS.

Rotation battles felt a bit silly to me at the time the more I reflect on it. I like double battles though, so I'd probably like Triple battles too if they had been more widespread and memorable. Heck double battles themselves are already too dang rare in the games during a playthrough imo =\

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I SIGNIFICANTLY prefer Rotation battles. In fact I find them so fun whenever I do battle facilities where the option is available, I go far those immediately. Am I the only one who actually finds these to be fun? It actually requires strategy, you actually need to think about type matchups for everyone in the battlefield just for if the opponent wants to switch to someone else, and overall, it never feels overly complex. If anything, I think we deserve a new creature catching game with gameplay like that.

Triple battle, not as fun. Maybe if you get the hang of it, but it's not cool if the middle mon or anyone gets triple teamed and screws your plan for the battle. Seriously, I do not understand anybody prefering Triple battles to Rotation. Whatsoever.

In fact I think the White versions are the worse versions altogether IMO and I much prefer to play the Blacks, but that shall be saved for another thread.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Rotation battles felt a bit silly to me at the time the more I reflect on it.
    Literally anything in the entire franchise is ridiculous if you actually try to think by that logic.

they were in gen 6? i dont even remember that unless it was a battle masion only thing
    Yes, they lasted two generations! Like I said, I always use Rotation in that battle facility you mentioned!

In my opinion triple battles are better than rotation battles. I hope I don't cause a stir here, I hope rotation battles never return.
    I absolutely and wholeheartedly disagree.

#BlackVersionLivesMatter

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I'm sorry I just have my own opinion on rotation battles. Some people like them, others don't even remember the mechanic of rotation battles, and some hate them and see them as gimmicky and over the top. What do you find so good about rotation battles anyway? I like to hear your opinion too.

Back