• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Approved: Trivia Challenge

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Host: Retro Bug, Shining Raichu, and RetroRoller

Trivia Challenge (Title In Progress: Need to relate it to PCX)

CHECKLIST:
    - Thread Design [x]
    - Title [ ]
    - Emblems [x]
    - Trivia Catergories/Questions [ ]
    - Time [x]
    - Rules [x]
    - Prevent people from cheating [x]
    - How it will work [x]​

How It Would Work (Work In Progress):
    It would be a point-based system. There will be three sections to the overall questions, Easy, Medium, Hard/Difficult/Tough, easy questions are worth less than Medium which are worth less than Hard. Simple enough, right?

I'm not sure if there should be different categories as well or just combine them all into one and not separate into different categories (such as Worldly/Pokemon/Medical/Musical/TV)​

* My main concern is how do we keep people from cheating? I know that some can easily be googled. I'm not sure how this category was ran last year but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

** I would like to add a bonus question about PC. A question that's hard to answer but not impossible to figure out. If you could help me with these please PM me/ it! (I don't want anyone else knowing the answer besides you and I.)

*** This is only what I see. As I am the only person involved with this Trivia Challenge (as of this moment). Of course when more people volunteer and people help me out this will definitely change.

Trivia Challenge
    Trivia Challenge
    Introduction

Welcome, welcome! Do you think you have what it takes? Are you knowledgeable in various subjects? Just know random facts? This is the PCX Trivia Challenge and we would like to challenge you to answer as many questions as you can. There might be a prize in it for you! Your hosts for this fabulous event are Retro Bug, Shining Raichu, and RetroRoller.​
    Trivia Challenge
    How To Play

It's really simple, the questions are listed below in a spoiler tag. Look over them and answer each of them by yourself then you will send them in a PM to each of the host. This event is only open from September 24th through September 30th so we will not accept anything after September 30th. Your results can only be submitted to Retro Bug, Shining Raichu, and RetroRoller if you wish to have them counted.​
    Trivia Challenge
    Rules

Trivia Challenge
    Our number one rule is: Don't Cheat. Yes, we know how easy it is to Google/search an answer but that takes the fun out of it! So, please don't cheat and ruin this event.

Trivia Challenge
    Ask, right away! If you feel like any of the questions are unclear or you cannot decipher it.

Trivia Challenge
    No Teamwork. This is an individual challenge you may not work with anyone else. Now the voices in your head may be able to help you out.

Trivia Challenge
    No Complaints. Yeah, just don't do it. It's that simple.

Trivia Challenge
    You must post in this thread saying that you are entering. Don't post your answers here. They must be sent in a PM to each of the host.
    Trivia Challenge
    Questions
    There are a total of 50 questions and each question are worth a different amount of points. The highest amount of points you can earn is 170. Since we know that sometimes you can't remember things exactly there are leniency points if we feel like you deserve it. This means you should try and answer every single that we throw at you. You have an almost entire week before we need your results so there's no need for you to rush through them. Please, take your time and think things out and when we say think we mean think not search for the answers.​

Trivia Challenge
    Emblem Showcase

Trivia Challenge

King of the Wiki

Trivia Challenge

Student of the World

Trivia Challenge

Participation

Trivia Challenge

???
    Trivia Challenge
    Results

N/A.

Lastly, we would like to give full credit for the CSS layout to Counterfeit who put a lot of hard work into it.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just one little thing about the bonus question about PC, I don't really think you need it since my entire quiz is about PC and the bonus question might take from that ;(

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Just one little thing about the bonus question about PC, I don't really think you need it since my entire quiz is about PC and the bonus question might take from that ;(

Oh, I didn't realize that. I really think a PC-related question as a bonus question is something to have. I don't think one question will harm your quiz. Compromise? Perhaps if I run the question by you to make sure it's not one that you already have marked down or want I can use it? If you really dislike (the idea of) it I can understand.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Hey Retro Bug, they've assigned me to help you out so whatever you need me to do I'm all ears! :)

I'm happy to take a stab at emblems (first, second, participation?) and I can of course help come up with categories and questions. We should probably figure out a number of questions for each category and number of categories etc.

I'm not really all that useful when it comes to thread design, so if you're not great at that either I'm sure we can find someone to help there haha.

Uhh... preventing people from cheating. I honestly don't know how that would be done, maybe we'll just have to guilt trip them into not doing it. Like, "guys, we realise it's very easy to Google the answers but it takes all the fun out of the competition if you do that. Please just be honest?" That sort of thing.

I'll let you order me around, whatever you need from me I'm happy to be your helper monkey :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Hey Retro Bug, they've assigned me to help you out so whatever you need me to do I'm all ears! :)

I'm happy to take a stab at emblems (first, second, participation?) and I can of course help come up with categories and questions. We should probably figure out a number of questions for each category and number of categories etc.

Yay! Hey Shining (If that's permitted to call you that...) And yes please (try to) do the emblems because frankly I wouldn't know where to start! Yeah, a set number should be well set. Hmm, I'm just throwing out numbers here but like 15 Easy 10 Medium and 5 Hard? That may be too short. 20/15/10? Then there's the points for each category... 3 points for Easy 4 points for Medium and 5 points for Hard. That's 60 total for Easy, 60 for Medium and 50 for Hard. Sooo 170 total points. Should there be leniency points? Like say they got the answer half right, do we still give them points? Or should we do it a simple wrong/right you get all the points or none?

Do you think that we should have specific categories within the Easy/Medium/Hard sections? Or just combine them all with no separation?

(Ahh, I'm asking a lot but... ): )

I'm not really all that useful when it comes to thread design, so if you're not great at that either I'm sure we can find someone to help there haha.

I think we might need to find someone. I was going to take a stab at it but I haven't done CSS for sooo long I'm a bit rusty.

Uhh... preventing people from cheating. I honestly don't know how that would be done, maybe we'll just have to guilt trip them into not doing it. Like, "guys, we realise it's very easy to Google the answers but it takes all the fun out of the competition if you do that. Please just be honest?" That sort of thing.

I'll let you order me around, whatever you need from me I'm happy to be your helper monkey :P

That's basically what I was thinking. Guilt trips work... I think. I mean that's the best we can do.

I like ordering people people around! Hopefully I won't get carried away ;P

Shining Raichu

Years
  • No you may not call me Shining! You should call me Andy like everybody else does :P

If we're going to use categories, then we should probably decide how many categories we're going to have and then we can have an amount of questions divisible by that number. For instance if we have five categories, then maybe we should have 25 easy questions so that there can be 5 for each category? Then 15 medium = 3 for each category and 10 hard = 2 for each category. But if we're not going to have categories and just lump them in together, then it doesn't really matter either way :D

The points system seems fine, but maybe it'd just be easier to go 2 points for easy, 4 for medium and 6 for hard? If we scale it that way then having leniency points would be easier as we can just halve each value for if they get the answer half-right (which is harder to do if we have questions worth 3 and 5 points each). It still comes out to 170 total so maybe that'd work better? Or maybe not, idk haha

Thread design - CSS is a cruel mistress that eludes me too haha. I can try to find somebody, did you have anyone in mind?

And yay for guilt trips! XD

Monkey outtt~

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    No you may not call me Shining! You should call me Andy like everybody else does :P

If we're going to use categories, then we should probably decide how many categories we're going to have and then we can have an amount of questions divisible by that number. For instance if we have five categories, then maybe we should have 25 easy questions so that there can be 5 for each category? Then 15 medium = 3 for each category and 10 hard = 2 for each category. But if we're not going to have categories and just lump them in together, then it doesn't really matter either way :D

I was unaware of what everybody else called you but Andy it is!

I feel like lumping them together is just the easiest way to go. Not that I'm trying to take the easy way out but I feel like it flows better if they're all together. I hope this makes sense.

The points system seems fine, but maybe it'd just be easier to go 2 points for easy, 4 for medium and 6 for hard? If we scale it that way then having leniency points would be easier as we can just halve each value for if they get the answer half-right (which is harder to do if we have questions worth 3 and 5 points each). It still comes out to 170 total so maybe that'd work better? Or maybe not, idk haha

You're right. I wasn't thinking about leniency points when I said the numbers. But, yeah that totally works. I like those numbers better than the ones I had.

So 25 easy questions worth 2 points, 15 medium questions worth 4 points, and 10 hard questions worth 6 points. For a grand total of 170.

Thread design - CSS is a cruel mistress that eludes me too haha. I can try to find somebody, did you have anyone in mind?

And yay for guilt trips! XD

Monkey outtt~

I use to be able to do my signatures in that fancy CSS way but yeah those days are long gone. I was going to ask maybe someone in graphics. Maybe whoever is in charge of the graphic event or y'know something along those lines. EDIT: I asked Counterfeit and he said he would make us one. Yay.

Aaaand for emblems. 1st, 2nd, participation. This just came to me so it might sound ridiculous but I think that if we have more than 10 people submit then we can have ~special~ emblem for the person who came in 10th place. 10 years... 10th place. Yeah, it seems kind of dumb but it was just something I was tossing around in my head.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
  • I haven't abandoned you Retro Bug! I have been really busy for the last few days so I completely forgot about this, but I am back now! To make it up to you, I've brought you some emblems!

1st place
    Trivia Challenge

King of the Wiki
    If there's a useless piece of information to know, we can rest assured that you will know it! Congratulations, you've won the PokeCommunity GTX Trivia Challenge!

2nd place
    Trivia Challenge

Student of the World

Your keen thirst for knowledge has earned you second place in the PCX Trivia Challenge! Great work, keep on learnin'!

Participation
    Trivia Challenge

It's trivial, really…
    Alright, so you didn't win. But maybe that's a good thing! At least you know there's more to life than scouring Wikipedia… [PCX Trivia Challenge Participant]

As to the tenth place emblem, I'm not sure. I'm not against the idea, but the trouble is the snowball effect. If we have it, will the members expect every event to have it etc. Not sure if that's even a big deal, just something that passed along through my head :P. I asked Luke and he said it was a cute idea, so if you want one I'll cook one up!

------

OK, it's just come to my attention that RetroRoller is not with us because Hiroshi Sotomura hasn't given him EO status yet and therefore he can't (I'm assuming it's a he, I could be wrong lol) see the GTX forum. One of us should probably contact him and get his input on stuffs.

Yay for Counterfeit! Ah Joey, a man after my own heart (not really but so I wish). Either way, he has a slightly inappropriate Christmas card coming his way this year.

I feel really bad continuing this on without RetroRoller now... we've kinda covered most things without him. I just figured he went inactive and didn't care or something, I didn't know he'd been left out in the cold!

WE STILL HAVE TO COME UP WITH QUESTIONS THOUGH SO HE CAN HELP WITH THAT! We need fifty questions (and categories for them - even if we're just going to lump them all in together for the actual contest, we should probably have five categories just for our own reference to make questions on. Pokemon should be one of them I guess, not sure about the others :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I haven't abandoned you Retro Bug! I have been really busy for the last few days so I completely forgot about this, but I am back now! To make it up to you, I've brought you some emblems!

Spoiler:

As to the tenth place emblem, I'm not sure. I'm not against the idea, but the trouble is the snowball effect. If we have it, will the members expect every event to have it etc. Not sure if that's even a big deal, just something that passed along through my head :P. I asked Luke and he said it was a cute idea, so if you want one I'll cook one up!

Aaah, it's okay I was quite busy with University. I absolutely loooove the emblems. They're great! :D I'm so glad you decided to do them.

The Tenth Place Emblem well it's not like we can't state that there's a secret emblem exclusive to this only event. Make sure they know it's a Trivia Challenge thing. We just won't tell them how you obtain it (obviously). If you want to whip one up that would be excellent.

OK, it's just come to my attention that RetroRoller is not with us because Hiroshi Sotomura hasn't given him EO status yet and therefore he can't (I'm assuming it's a he, I could be wrong lol) see the GTX forum. One of us should probably contact him and get his input on stuffs.

Yay for Counterfeit! Ah Joey, a man after my own heart (not really but so I wish). Either way, he has a slightly inappropriate Christmas card coming his way this year.

I feel really bad continuing this on without RetroRoller now... we've kinda covered most things without him. I just figured he went inactive and didn't care or something, I didn't know he'd been left out in the cold!

WE STILL HAVE TO COME UP WITH QUESTIONS THOUGH SO HE CAN HELP WITH THAT! We need fifty questions (and categories for them - even if we're just going to lump them all in together for the actual contest, we should probably have five categories just for our own reference to make questions on. Pokemon should be one of them I guess, not sure about the others :P

Oh yes, RetroRoller. Somehow I got it into my head that s/he had obtain status but was refraining from posting. I can send her/him a PM with everything that we have talked about right now and get his/her input on the matter. I can agree with you for feeling bad. ): Well, the important thing is that we can give him some warmth and include her/him now!

For the categories. Hmm, we can just name off (five or more) categories that we (individually) like then pick five from that (the total). If you would like to do it that way?

I love Joey! Though, I've never told him that personally. I'm a big fan out his work (aaaand maybe I stalk his tumblr) he does some fantastic stuff.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • Tenth place
    Trivia Challenge

Tenth-Place Trivia Treasure

You may not be the most active seeker of knowledge, but everyone unknowingly stumbles upon a secret every now and then! It's PC's tenth anniversary and you placed tenth in the PCX Trivia Challenge, so here, have an emblem!

I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't tell them that there's a special secret emblem at all lol. Just let the person find out and have it be their special gift. :P

OKAY SO CATEGORIES. The only ones I can personally think of are Pokemon, Japanese entertainment (since we have a lot of weeaboos - I don't know much about it personally but maybe one of you two will :P) and pop culture which is my specialty XD. Any ideas?

So I think that's all there is. Lemme know what RetroRoller says and I'll pressure Jake to get him in here.

Oh! We have to figure out how the actual thing is going to work. They can't post their answers ITT because then all the other contestants can just look and copy. So perhaps they can post in the thread saying they are entering and then PM us the answers to the questions?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Yay, another amazing emblem! I think you have the right idea by not telling them at all. It'll be a nice surprise.

I'm not one for Japanese Entertainment but if we really want to include that I'm sure there's someone who we can contact for help! Pop Culture looks like a good category. Food, maybe?

I PMed RetroRoller just now so when s/he replies I'll let you know.

Yes, we still need to do the rules, title, time, and how it will work. I definitely think they should PM us the answers and just post that they're entering in the thread. But PM a specific person or all three of us or anyone of us? As for the time we can just leave it open the duration of the PCX Event.

For the Title... Hmm? Just keep it Trivia Challenge or do something special with it? Speaking of this stuff I'll update the to-do list.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
    Years
  • So for the past WEEK I've been scrolling straight past this. -.- I can post on here now rather than PM if you'd prefer.

The emblems are fantastic! :D

And I'm a he ;)

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Oh, but yeah you should definitely start posting here now.

RetroRoller PMed me saying that he thinks that we should have something like a "Places" category. Countries, states, cities, etc.

Categories we have in mind: Pokemon, Jap Entertainment, Pop Culture, Food, and Places.

EDIT:

RetroRoller, I forgot to tell you we're doing leniency points. Which is why the points are even (2/4/6). So if they get the question half right/mostly right they get half the points.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
  • Yay Roller hath arrived! You weren't scrolling past it, you weren't able to see it since lazy people hadn't given you your EO status yet :P

Well that looks like five categories to me! Places is good, something I never would have thought of lol. What kind of questions would there be for food? I'm kinda drawing a blank on that one haha.

Also if we do end up using Jap Entertainment, I'd like to re-iterate that I am completely useless there :P. I do have two questions (one medium, one hard) for Pop Culture that I think would be really cool though! IDK if we should post actual questions here though, just in case any other EOs who want to participate in the Trivia Challenge are viewing this thread lol.

I think if they PM their answers to any one of us it should be fine - and each of us can just mark whichever answers we're sent. And then if one person gets too many of the responses and someone else gets none, we can forward the PMs or whatever and use this thread to organise ourselves while the event thread is going on.

Rules - the only ones I can think of are the "don't Google answers" guilt trip and "each person must do their own, no team work with other members". But since I'm a mod, I can view archived forums, so I'll go have a sneaky look at the rules from the GT8 thread later >:3 so we can steal some ideas if we can't come up with any ourselves :P

And yeah I agree about the time thing.

Keep on top of Joey about the thread design too (though being on top of Joey sounds like the best job ever and makes me jealous that you get to do it :P)

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Perhaps, Food & Drink. Or should they be two separate categories? Like which American fast-food chain was the first to serve ____, and What is a cake made primarily with eggs, sugar, and ground nuts instead of flour called? Just stuff kind of like that.

Yeeeah. Jap Entertainment may have to go. I certainly do not know enough about it to come up with good trivia questions. I mean, I'm sure we could google something. I think RetroRoller said that he really is only good for one anime/manga. We can come up with a replacement. Hmmm. Animals? Nature? Literature? Clothes?

I was thinking that over. And I wasn't quite sure but to be on the safe side I think that we should just keep the questions in PMs to each other. That way even we can prevent cheating not saying these people will (cheat) but you never know. Also, we can see if each questions actually match up the categories that they're in.

The PMing answers thing sounds fine to me. I agree with posting here to organize ourselves and make sure we don't forget anything. As for the rules that's really the only thing I can think of as well. But, yes, use your modliness to see those other rules.

Aaaand, don't worry I'll do Joey for the both of us. ;) I mean, keep on him. The chat on PC doesn't like me so I've moved to Mibbit and hopefully I can catch Joey now.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
    Years
  • Technology could possibly be a good one, as it involves a lot of modern gadgets we use today, and it doesn't have to be complex questions about specifications of computers or something, it can be like what does HTC stand for? For example.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Oh, I like Technology even though I'm not that good with terminology.

Sooo, we only have six days until it starts. So, how are we going to do the questions? Divide up the categories? I know there's three of us and five categories. I don't mind taking on two... Or like divide up the questions in each category. We each come up with 3 Easy Questions for each category, 2 Medium question per category, and 2 Hard Questions for each section? I know adding it up gives us a larger number than we need but it's more for diversity, so we can pick and choose which questions should go in. It gives a bigger option pool.

If any of you guys see Joey in the chat... Chat him up about the thread design. Anything's fine. Something simple. I haven't seen him in the passed few days. I'll give it another day or so before I PM him about it. Don't want to be a pest.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • Here's the rules for the GT8 Trivia challenge:

Rules
    The rules are actually really simple:

No searching on the interweb! The answer must come from you or one of your friends IRL who are watching you nerd out in the very same room.

No complaining! The more you whine, the less fun this whole thing becomes, so please refrain from the "That was soooo me i win yayaya".

No exceptions! You are not that special, so no, you don't get to phone a friend or pick a multiple choice option.

If you are unsure, feel free to post a question here and it may be answered.
    Some of those may not be applicable because they did the competition a slightly different way, but yeah lol.

What were the five categories we decided on? I'm happy to come up with 3,2,2 for each category. The larger pool of options is a great idea. Sorry I'm rushing this reply right before I go off to work haha. I'll check the thread when I get home and start working on my questions :D

Oh also just a quick note - the subtitles they used in the GT8 thread were: Introduction, How to Play, Emblem Showcase, Rules, Hosts and Scoreboard (but I think maybe we'll do the scoreboard in a separate post at the end to let them know who won lol, makes more sense to me)

OK BRB WORK!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner! This thread apparently didn't want to show up in my unread subscription threads.

I'm not sure we officially decided on them but the five we came up with were. Pokemon, Food, Places, Technology, and Pop Culture.

And those seem like good rules we can just tweak the wording.

For the subtitles I think it should go in this order: Hosts/Introduction, (I'm not sure why we can't say who the host are in the Introduction. Seems better that way.) How To Play, Rules, Emblem Showcase. I totally agree with you on the Scoreboard though. We should keep it private until we're all finished. We can even have an individual post here with the scores then combine them all together and have someone post it with rankings.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Sorry if I worried anyone by leaving it this late, and by being a bit hard to reach. I've been working on your thread design all day though and it'll be finished before I go to bed~

xoxox

P.S. chuck any specific suggestions here and I'll read 'em.

Last edited:
    Back