• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokecrystal] [Tutorial] How to build Pokecrystal using Cygwin (64 Bits)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
  • Explained as simply as possible and straight to the point. You guys know me.
    The reason why I'm writing this tutorial is because I never managed to build rgbds from the source, which is a roadblock as it's mandatory to build a ROM with Pokecrystal.
    Since Cygwin does work for me, welp, here we are.

1) Download Cygwin.
    2) Open the installer and hit Next, Next, Next.
    2.1) In the "Choose Download Site" section choose any of the first links. It doesn't matter. Then click Next.
    3) Now we're in the Package Selection screen. Set the View field to Full and select the following packages; make, git and gcc-core.
    Note: To select them, just hit the downward arrow icon under the "New" tab and choose the latest version available.
    4) Once you chose the latest versions of the 3 packages mentioned above, hit Next and close the installer once the process finishes.
    5) Open C:\cygwin64\cygwin.bat, let it set up some stuff and then close it.
    6) Download the latest precompiled build of rgbds from here and uncompress its contents.
    7) Now drag-and-drop the 5 files of rgbds into C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin.
    8) Open C:\cygwin64\cygwin.bat again, and use git clone https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal to download the Pokecrystal repository.
    9) Move to the folder you just cloned by using cd pokecrystal
    10) Type make -jN to build a ROM.
    Note: "N" stands for the number of threads your CPU has, which you can check by using the nproc command.
    The more threads you assign, the faster you'll get a ROM built.

The ROM generated will be located in C:\cygwin64\home\USER\pokecrystal under the filename "pokecrystal". It'll be a .gbc ROM file.

Alternatively, here's a video tutorial that I recorded:

And that's pretty much it.​

Last edited:
    Back