• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Type biased influences

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Title may be a bit confusing. Basically, we all have some personal pull to a specific Pokemon type, even if we don't openly notice. There are some types that can relate to real world likes that leave you with a positive affinity for them.

Myself, I always use Water and Dragon type Pokemon through my play throughs. If I don't actually pay attention I end to end up with either a half and half team or a predominately all water team. This is because of two of my hobbies and personal likes. I am a person that loves being around water. Any chance I have that allows me to swim or just be in water, I take it. This leads to my personal love of Water Type Pokemon despite some being based on creatures I don't have particular love for...(frogs) As for Dragons, I have been enthralled with Dragons since I was young. For as long as I can remember I have liked dragons, anything to do with them and have collected many dragon paraphernalia. The Dragon and Water aspects affect me more than just with Pokemon, but that's another story for another day XD

As for negative affinities, I can not STAND being cold. Likewise I dislike Ice types. I tolerate Water/Ice types like Dewgong and Cloyster but they don't frequent my team that often. I also don't have a very fond memory of wasp and bees. Which passes down to me not liking Bug types in general.

What things have influenced your likes or dislikes of specific Pokemon types?

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • That's pretty funny, I was just thinking about this a bit earlier XD

Mine would have to be Fire. Since Gen II i've always used the Fire starter on my first play of the game, and honestly have reused the Fire starter in each Gen more than any other starter in them. And also my random obsession with Victini could also be related to it being the most adorable Fire type there is! :D

I also just quite enjoy the designs of most Fire pokemon more than others. I guess another reason this could be is because i'm a slight pyro IRL so I love fire XD

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Because I live near the coast I'm inspired by Water and Rock in general. Water is also my favorite typing, so I use these Pokemon very often.

The typing that I don't like for inspirational reasons is the Grass-type. I'm allergic to Pollen, especially Grass Pollen, and the same goes for Grass-type Pokemon in general. They suck offensively and have too many weaknesses defensively. I also despise Poison, because I don't like being sick or being too unhygienic. That typing is also poor offensively. I don't think Poison inspires anybody in my opinion.

CrypticX

...a lonely Trainer
    Years
  • For me, it would be Psychic and/or Ground :) Since i first got involved with pokemon ( first game was blue which i LOVED ) i always have atleast 1-2 pure pcychic or type-psychic in my team as well as ground pokemon and ground moves in general.
    I remember once, i had a 6-man team of Alakazam all lvl 100 with different EVs and movesets just to experiment xd man i love alakazam...

Then there is Golem...that bipedal boulder helped me through every game in so many ways i cant even remember.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Myself, I always use Water and Dragon type Pokemon through my play throughs. If I don't actually pay attention I end to end up with either a half and half team or a predominately all water team. This is because of two of my hobbies and personal likes. I am a person that loves being around water. Any chance I have that allows me to swim or just be in water, I take it. This leads to my personal love of Water Type Pokemon despite some being based on creatures I don't have particular love for...(frogs)

This. I'm freaked out by fish (I went fishing twice, caught a fish both times, I squirmed more than the fish when I held it to pose for a picture before releasing it), frogs, snakes etc. Yet I love Politoed (well, the entire family really), Manaphy (aquatic creature of some sort), and the likes of Dragonair, Charizard which are based on lizards.
    I don't always end up with dragon pokémon in my playthroughs, although I used to and now I miss my dragons. And although I didn't use any in my Emerald team until Latios, I still had to evolve a Bagon into Salamence because I like it too much.

On the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of many of the grass-based pokémon, and this goes with the fact that other than grass, contact with plants (leaves, particularly it seems) makes me squirm too. (#wimp).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    My two most favorite elements are Water and Air. Thus, Water and Flying Pokemon are the two types that I tend to learn to lean towards when it comes to favorites. I don't like all of them of each type, but I do believe that there is really only one Pokemon of either type that I cannot stand (Seismitoad).

I'm not much of a fighting person, so that might be why I don't really find myself using any fighting Pokemon, or liking them as much as I do others.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    My two most favorite elements are Water and Air. Thus, Water and Flying Pokemon are the two types that I tend to learn to lean towards when it comes to favorites. I don't like all of them of each type, but I do believe that there is really only one Pokemon of either type that I cannot stand (Seismitoad).

I'm not much of a fighting person, so that might be why I don't really find myself using any fighting Pokemon, or liking them as much as I do others.

I've always heard that Air and Water usually go together to make Lighting/Thunder - how do you feel about Electric types? And I couldn't agree more about Fighting types, they're awful haha.

Personally I come from a science/chemistry background with a big fondness of ecology, so I'd say my favourites are Poison, Grass, Bug and Normal! Grass, Bug and Normal types are all the 'ecosystem' of the Pokémon world, whilst Poison types are the 'pollutants'. I have a big interest in how Poison types work and specifically how they deal with the poison within their own bodies, as well as their trainer's and team's bodies, and I love how the other listed types work together in general. Poison types are number one for me, though!

Years
  • Water-types of course, along with being my favorite type, I always have to have a Water-type or my teams won't be complete. And if said Water-type is blue, I'd use it even more. Given I'm a person who loves water, it's very fitting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    I see that most people here like Water types. My team always has the Water type starter, and I stick to it always till post-game. I also love the element Water compared to others. I rarely use Bug types because some bugs scare me in real life. I do like the Gen V Bug types, though. I also like using Grass types occasionally.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In real life, I hate bugs and am deadly afraid of them. I'm also afraid of deep waters and thunderstorms. Despite this, I really like most bug pokémon and don't have anything against water types. And I really like electric type attacks, even though I think many of the electric type pokémon are a bit boring :p

So I guess that means that I'm not really influenced from my real life preferences when it comes to what kinds of pokémon I like.

Back