• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Resolved: Unable to access PC through conventional methods.

Years
    Recently (as of yesterday evening or so) I have been unable to access The PokéCommunity using conventional methods, i.e. through my Internet browser. I'm currently using a proxy to access the site, as the page just will not load under the usual circumstances. I get the following error in Safari 4:

Safari can't open the page.
    Safari can't open the page "https://www.pokecommunity.com/”. The error is: "unknown error" (kCFErrorDomainWinSock:10054) Please choose Help > Report Bugs to Apple, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.​

This error in IE7:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    • You are not connected to the Internet.
    • The website is encountering problems.
    • There might be a typing error in the address.

And I simply get a blank page in Opera. Why can't I access the site?

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Have you tried Firefox?
    It's the most reliable browser that I've ever used and it has succeeded in places where IE has failed.

Years
    That is really strange :/

Have you access to another computer?

I've tried to access it on my iPod - no luck there either.

Have you tried Firefox?
    It's the most reliable browser that I've ever used and it has succeeded in place where IE has failed.

Sugesting Firefox =/= universal solution to all of life's problems. And besides, the browser doesn't come into consideration when I can't even ping the site. =x

Years
    Go to:
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Open the "hosts" file with notepad and check for pokecommunity.com

If it's there, delete the pokecommunity.com entry, save the file and reboot your browser. Try again.

Tell me if this works.

Otherwise it could be your ISP. Try from a different connection.

Years
    Go to:
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Open the "hosts" file with notepad and check for pokecommunity.com

If it's there, delete the pokecommunity.com entry, save the file and reboot your browser. Try again.

Tell me if this works.

Otherwise it could be your ISP. Try from a different connection.

Nope, only two localhost entries. I suspect it could be the ISP, but trying a different connection is easier said than done. =x It was suggested to me that someone in my IP range could have been banned - might that be the problem? =/

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    It was suggested to me that someone in my IP range could have been banned - might that be the problem? =/

That is quite likely. In fact, that was what I was about to answer your question with. =P

Years
    Wouldn't you get a banned message page, then?

Can you wander down the street and pick up a wireless network on your iPod Touch? (Which I assume is what you meant by iPod.) Ask an Admin to check if your IP has been banned.

Years
    Wouldn't you get a banned message page, then?

That was what I thought when it was first suggested. =|

Can you wander down the street and pick up a wireless network on your iPod Touch? (Which I assume is what you meant by iPod.)

You're correct in your assumption. However, I live in a residential area with no hotspots and many secured networks, so I won't pick up a connection. I can try tomorrow at school and see if it is to do with my IP.

Ask an Admin to check if your IP has been banned.

This looks like the best route for now.

(Reposting to bump thread. Why is is that all the questions that are poorly set out and regard trivial matters get all the attention? ¬_¬)

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    That was what I thought when it was first suggested. =|

You're correct in your assumption. However, I live in a residential area with no hotspots and many secured networks, so I won't pick up a connection. I can try tomorrow at school and see if it is to do with my IP.

This looks like the best route for now.

(Reposting to bump thread. Why is is that all the questions that are poorly set out and regard trivial matters get all the attention? ¬_¬)

OK.. PM me your IP (not the proxy one) and we'll check the ban list and/or firewall.

also try to ping and tracert the PC server using PC's IP
    go to start > run > cmd [enter]
    then:
    Code:
    ping 174.133.255.180
    Code:
    tracert 174.133.255.180

Let me know the results as well

Years
    OK.. PM me your IP (not the proxy one) and we'll check the ban list and/or firewall.

also try to ping and tracert the PC server using PC's IP
    go to start > run > cmd [enter]
    then:
    Code:
    ping 174.133.255.180
    Code:
    tracert 174.133.255.180

Let me know the results as well

I'm about to PM the IP, but in regards to the ping I had four timeouts, and the tracert also timed out eventually.

Edit: All resolved now! Thank you for your help everyone.

Last edited:

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I'm about to PM the IP, but in regards to the ping I had four timeouts, and the tracert also timed out eventually.

Edit: All resolved now! Thank you for your help everyone.

So what was the problem and how was it solved?

Back