• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] v21 + Gen 8 Pack Scripts Causing Crash When Adding PokeDex Entries

kodiakbermun

Kodiak
    Days
    Hi there,

I had to make a new account to post this since my old account's password expired in 2017 and I can't seem to remember the email attached to it lol. But I've been working on a game in Pokemon Essentials v21 and everything has been running fairly smoothly up until this point. However, two days ago I needed to add a Pokemon from outside Gens 1-5 to one of my routes (Skwovet), and rather than uploading individual sprite assets for each Gen 6-8 Pokemon, I decided to just update/integrate all of the Pokemon sprites through Golisopod User's "Generation 8 Pack for Essentials v20.1" -- now I know there's a version mismatch here (and they've stated there won't be more updates to this script), but I'm truly only encountering one area of conflict and everything else is running exactly as expected. The error occurs when adding a new Pokemon to the PokeDex, specifically after catching it or trying to access its PokeDex entry. Knocking them out will add their data to the PokeDex as "seen,'" but trying to access the PokeDex entry for any Pokemon, whether it has been caught or only seen, returns this error:

Spoiler:

The error that occurs when catching a Pokemon and adding its information to the PokeDex is:

Spoiler:

It looks like this error occurs when creating or accessing the PokeDex entry page. While I was trying to continue debugging this while writing this post and accounting for the different errors, there was a command line error that /Graphics/Images/PokeDex/bg_info was a missing file, so I downloaded a graphics pack from a different creator that had a nice looking PokeDex background image and added the PokeDex file from that into my Images file; after that, the PokeDex background does show up, but it still goes straight to the previous error (although the missing image error no longer appears). I'm assuming that something got changed between PEv20.1 and PEv21 that is altering how the script would have worked with the Gen 8 Pack in 20.1. I have PyCharm and I tried looking at the coding for the "Footprint Replcement.rb" file from the "Sprite Scaling" folder in the Gen 8 pack, but I've only taken an intro to programming class and coding is not a strong-suit of mine. I'll post that file's contents here in case someone smarter than me knows how it could be fixed to allow the PokeDex page to propogate:

Spoiler:

I'm just about at my wit's end trying to figure out how to get around this. If there's truly no way to make this plugin work with v21 then I guess I'll just have to manually start adding all of the Gen 6-8 Pokemon assets, but honestly the upgraded sprites in this pack for Gens 1-5 just look so much better than the base sprites and it would really be disappointing having to go back to those now after starting to get used to these nice looking ones. If anyone could please help me out with this I would truly appreciate it so much. I can provide any additional info too if it helps.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    This error has already been reported, I think. The problem here is that Pokemon Essentials 21 deprecated completely the footprints, that your game is trying to show anyway. That means that there is no code in Pokemon Essentials 21 for showing footprints in the pokedex. Try changing the configuration for Gen 8 Pack to show icon sprites instead and see if that solves that problem.

In any case, someone is paying Golisopod User to update the script to 21 (or make a similar one). They probably update it (broken link removed).

kodiakbermun

Kodiak
    Days
    Oh thank you so much for linking that thread! Yeah, it seemed like the footprint feature was what was causing the crash every time. I was debating just deleting everything related to footprints, but if Golisopod User is working on an update for v21, maybe I'll just wait and keep working on other stuff in the meantime. The game runs fine without the PokeDex right now, but obviously it would be something important to have in the future for other features in the game. I appreciate the quick response. :)

Back