• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game's Music Awards - Boss Battles! ♪ [The Results! Check post #39]

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Video Game's Music Awards - Boss Battles! ♪ [The Results! Check post #39]

Welcome to the first ever VG's Music Awards, or Music Showdown! Here, I'm all but curious to hear what is PC's favourite video game track from a wide list of categories! But since there's so many, each of them are going to be broken down into a couple of weeks! At any rate, this week's theme is Boss Battle Music! Because what's a boss without some epic music to back them up?

How does this work?
    So, each time that there's a Video Game's Music Awards thread that pops up, all of you can nominate any one of your favourite tracks, or any other tracks that you think deserve the spotlight, to be featured to be the best video game music that represents the theme!

After the nomination period, the next phase will be for voting, in which, every track that has been nominated by someone will be up for votes! Everyone can vote to a minimum of two tracks that will win! In the end, whichever track has the most votes, will be the winner! And that's not all - there will be a featured emblem representing that video game music for the voters! And the winning theme will be put on display for everyone to hear! So, vote carefully!

Schedule
    This schedule is subject to change dependent on quantity of nominees and other circumstances.

Nominations will last January 5 - 12
    Voting will last from January 12 - 19
    Winner will be declared on January 20th!​

Nomination Form
    Your nomination form must be done LIKE THIS. Any nominations that do not follow this guideline cannot compete!

Nominee: (The name of the soundtrack)
    Link to Video: (You can link it, or post a embeed video of it!)
    Why: (Let the voters know WHY this Boss Battle track is the best there is for this theme! It can be as long as you want!)​

Nominees

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles' Kyodai Egg Robo/Super Mecha Sonic Boss theme - Nominated by Wilhelm
    Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story's Grand Finale/In the Final Boss theme - Nominated by Pinkie-Dawn
    Bayonetta's The Greatest Jubilee Boss theme - Nominated by Aphrodite
    NieR's Song of the Ancients - Fate Boss theme - Nominated by Zeria
    Metal Gear Rising's It Has to Be This Way Boss theme - Nominated by Spinosaurus

Prizes
    There will be emblems given out to those that participate in this!
    The person who nominates the winner of the Showdown will be allowed to select the next Video Game's Music Awards's topic/theme!

Credits for the video gaming showdown for an idea like this!

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Nominee: Kyodai Egg Robo/Super Mecha Sonic
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfuv444YAxk
    Why: Many people criticize the Genesis for not having as good a sound card as the Super Nintendo had, but the Sonic franchise really pushed the limit of what it could do musically, producing some of the best music classic video games have to offer. This wasn't Sonic's first boss fight, and they certainly had a lot of great boss themes, but none of them holds a candle to The Doomsday Zone's theme. Simultaneously energetic and distressing, this boss theme keeps you on your toes and in the moment, despite the surrounding meteors. All around, this music does everything that a boss theme needs to do.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Nominee: Grand Finale/In the Final
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-mjdvdeuI
    Why: This is perhaps one of Yoko Shimomura's greatest pieces she's ever created. It's both upbeat and intense at the same time as the Mario Bros. and Bowser struggle to defeat the Dark Star, taking the koopa king's form, and Fawful, who carries the main source to the Dark Star's power. The piano notes for this music also makes it sound like it came straight out of Kingdom Hearts, whose soundtrack was also composed by Shimomura. This boss battle was so great, that it was included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, unaltered, as part of its My Music selection.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Nominee: The Greatest Jubilee
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3wFRy23cY
    Why: All great final boss themes incorporate the use of choirs yelling latin chants at the top of their lungs. This is a simple, unquestionable fact. Nobuo Uematsu knew that, Yoko Shimomura knew that and in this case, it's shown that Rei Kondoh knew that as well. Latin choirs simply come out on top when you are dealing with bosses with impossible strength and inconceivable physical dimensions.
    Bayonetta is a game which has absolutely no subtlety at all, as the basic plot is that you are a perpetually half-naked (and sometimes fully-naked) witch fighting against the forces of Heaven using whatever aesthetically pleasing weapons your contact in Inferno can craft for you. The Greatest Jubilee is the theme for Jubileus, the final boss and basically God in her physical form. As I said, no subtlety at all.
    And the theme is just that: it's grandiose, it's all-encompassing, it's your grandmother's church on PCP. It perfectly represents Jubileus and almost feels like the battleground itself is making the heavenly music. The ups and downs in the chants, the organs, the cascading pianos, it's all there. Kondoh has taken the music style so delicately crafted by Christianity and torn its asshole wide open. The opening battle theme for Bayonetta is the glorious One of a Kind, a song similarly dipped in gregorian chants and lack of subtlety. It is fitting that the closing battle them is The Greatest Jubilee, capping off an amazing game with more bang than God herself could create.

pkmin3033

Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4
    Why: Well, first and foremost: NieR boasts the most beautiful soundtrack ever devised; it would be remiss not to have at least one track from it included in any video game soundtrack competition. On the whole, it is a soundtrack without peer.

Now, for why I chose this song specifically, and not one of the other boss battle themes? Story spoilers abound, so beware.

This particular version of Song of the Ancients represents a climax to all that has come before it: you'll have heard at least two, if not all three, different versions of it beforehand. Popola by herself, Devola by herself, and both of them together. It's a signature song for them, so it is only fitting that, when you finally come to blows, that their true nature is revealed as the Betrayers, that this song accompanies your battle. The tempo picks up, reminiscent of previous boss battles. There is a brief pause; unlike other boss battles, this one doesn't launch you straight into the vocals. Is this really happening? you might ask.

Then the singing begins, confirming it. Both of them, in concert, together, whilst you fight them, singing their trademark song. It's incredibly atmospheric, sounds incredible and, best of all, once you've killed one of them, the song changes back to one of the original versions, as without both of them together this song can't exist. It even goes back to the quiet, melancholy orchestral accompaniment, which only puts that much more emphasis on the high-tempo song that came before it. The name itself is also highly symbolic, given the true nature of the twins, what they were constructed for, and why they've had to take these steps in the first place. Everything just CLICKS when this song starts playing and, even though it isn't the final battle, it feels like it is. Considering all that Popola has done for you thus far, and Devola's sweet, gentle nature, it really is the ultimate betrayal, and this song mocks whatever you might have felt before this moment...and believe me, this is NieR. You will have felt something. As the only fast-paced version of this song, it's also a betrayal of the mood it's always set, of the emotions it conveys. The vocals are the same, but everything has changed. In short, it's a song that means a hell of a lot.

It's not just background music as many boss battles are: it's going on in the fight, and it's incredibly personal. This is boss battle music as it ought to be. You can music accompanying boss battles, but having music that is part of the boss battle is another story entirely.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Nominee: It Has To Be This Way
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcpGIVbPYrI
    Why: Now, in order to appreciate Metal Gear Rising's music, you have to know the context of it. When you just listen to it, you might think it's loud garbage, but that's just underselling what it is. The game is batshit insane and full of cheese. It's a game that tries to top itself and gets more and more ridiculous as it goes on, and the game plays on that perfectly. And you know what complements it? The music. No other OST in any other game have ever complemented the actual game design that it's accompanying, rhythm games notwithstanding. It's dynamic, brisk and it plays on just how stupidly fun the game is.

Now why are the boss battle themes great in this game? Because it's hype as all hell. The music subtly builds up as the fight goes on, with the tempo and pace raising gradually, until the boss at a critical level where the lyrics kick in so you know shit got real. The latter bosses start immediately with the lyrics, but the music still builds up in a similar way. There really isn't any way you could listen to the music the way it is in the game, so watch a boss fight to get an idea of what I mean.

It Has To Be Way is the final boss theme of the game. Up until now, all boss themes represented the boss's ideals and views, but this one might very well represent the main character's views. It's hard to tell actually and there's no actual answer to this, since the main character and final boss are very similar. (That's what the song is about lol) Either way, what you're imagining the boss fight as you listen to this song is likely exactly how the final boss is in the actual game.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Here is the Boss Battle theme I am going to nominate.
    Nominee: Battle at the Big Bridge
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI
    Why: When it comes to this battle theme, it is the battle theme of The Ensemble Darkhorse/Breakout Character Gilgamesh. It has appeared in almost as many Final Fantasy games that Gilgamesh has appeared in. Plus it even has a rock version.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • Nominee: Speed Monster
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbROhrMckc
    Why: This is the theme of the final final boss of the game, only unlockable after beating all 599 rivals and said to be the ghost of a legendary racer who died 10 years ago. This is a song for hunkering down and concentrating unlike any other boss you've faced before, because, being only one step away from 100% completion, it will certainly be tougher that any other boss in the game.

Nominee: Speed Monster
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbROhrMckc
    Why: This is the theme of the final final boss of the game, only unlockable after beating all 599 rivals and said to be the ghost of a legendary racer who died 10 years ago. This is a song for hunkering down and concentrating unlike any other boss you've faced before, because, being only one step away from 100% completion, it will certainly be tougher that any other boss in the game.

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • Here is the Boss Battle theme I am going to nominate.
    Nominee: Battle! [Chaos Chimera] - Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsIyXpF5Ks
    Why: This is the theme of the final boss of the game and for me this music theme is the most hype and best song ever.what you're imagining the boss fight while you listen to this song is the exactly how the final boss is in the actual game and the characters you play is yourself and your friends to fought this Creepy Boss monster.....

Why I choose this boss battle themes in this game? Because it's more exciting and more thrilling. This music it builds up as the fight goes on and on and on, with the tempo, pace raising gradually focusing on fight against the opponent, until the boss reach at a high critical level where the lyrics kick in so you got burst energy. The latter bosses start immediately with the lyrics, but the music still builds up more and more. There isn't any way you could listen to the music the way it is in the game, so watch a boss fight to get an idea of what I mean.

It's not just background music as many boss battles are and it's going on in the Intense battle, and it's incredibly epic. This is boss battle music as it ought to be.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    This is my form:
    Nominee: Dialga's Fight To Finish
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9VvdaLuSs
    Why: The big reason that I chose this is because of how nostalgic it is, also
    because the music fills you with adrenaline, while staying kind of peaceful
    and harmonic. I feel like this music is a masterpiece.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • Nominee: Alpha-152

Why: I chose this because of how it gives you this sense of feeling that she's powerful and you don't want to mess with her. She's the boss of DOA4 and I feel as if when i'm listening to this, I can feel how she will fight and how hard she will be, and for the people that likes challenges, I think they would get even more pumped by this music playing in the background. This is the only boss theme out of all the other themes in the past games that capture my ears.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I've been looking forward to nominating my game all week, just now was able to finally get some time to get on the computer to write it up.

Nominee: The Opened Way - Shadow of the Colossus
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWB8P4jbsAA
    Why: As this is a tournament about best Boss music, why not pick a game that is all about boss fights? Shadow of the Colossus is by far one of my favorite games I have ever played, and the music for the game is up to par with that greatness. I'm not the best when it comes to describing music, but this song above is just a snippet as to the epicness that the game plays out: you're this small man who must fight against a colossal, well, colossus; only with your trusted sword and lovely horse companion Agro, you must blindly follow a quest and destroy sixteen colossi in order to resurrect a fair maiden

[May change entry song for Shadow of the Colossus before competition starts, so please check back.]

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years
  • Nominee: Skullgirls - Skull Heart Arrhythmia
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9HjQ8dQEVA
    Why
    : A Couple of Reasons:
    1. It's made by Michiru Yamane of Castlevania SotN fame
    2. It sets the mood for the Final Boss of the game (Bloody Marie) and know that you are fighting for a good (or bad, depending on the character) cause

Thanks for looking :)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Nominee: An Earnest Desire of Grey
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sCm__GcOPk
    Why: First of all, I really like the whole soundtrack of the game. There's just that melancholic and yet epic feeling to it, which builds up through the entire game only to peak at this theme. I remember trying to not spoil this piece of music through my entire playthrough until I reached the final boss fight and I was not disappointed in the slightest. It just blew my mind when I heard it the first time and I spend the next couple of days, weeks and months hearing it over and over again.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Nominee: Rebuilding Ourselves - Eternal Sonata
    Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El-aPaWNg3s
    Why: Eternal Sonata might have some shortcomings as a game (though I still thought it was fantastic), but the game's soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, as a pianist myself, since it's a game that takes place in a dream world inside the fevered mind of the 39-year-old Frederic Chopin while he is on his deathbed. As such, it heavily features motives derived from Chopin's music. The final boss theme, Rebuilding Ourselves, is one of my favorite selections from any game OST. As the real Chopin is about to die, the party member Chopin inside the dream world decides to finally face his death and challenges the party to a battle as the final boss of the game. Rebuilding Ourselves is an awe-inspiring setting of one of Chopin's most famous pieces, the Revolutionary Etude - fitting, since it is at this point that Chopin rebels against the dream world he has created and faces his own destiny. The powerful vocals, virtuosic piano, and liberal use of strings provide an incredible backdrop to this final confrontation.

Years
  • Nominee: The Sun Rises
    Link to Video:
    Why: This might be kinda long-winded so I'll put it in a spoiler
    Spoiler:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • 2 more days left to nominate!

I'm actually going to nominate a boss theme myself:

Nominee: Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Laser Beam

Link to Video:

Why: Like most of the boss themes I love in general start off really fast paced right from the start, but what I love about this theme is that it starts off at a more of a moderate pace, but then, it picks up, and builds up, and that's when it hits you; you're in for a really dangerous persona fight, haha. The rapping pretty much fits too, in which I believe it's from the same guy who did the 'Mass Destruction' theme from Persona 3! In short, it keeps building on, and it gets better, and better. There's not a single step missed in this theme!

Years
  • Nominee: Shadow Queen Part 2 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Link to Video:
    Spoiler:

Why: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is favourite game of all time, and its music is incredible. This final battle theme is no exception. It perfectly sums up the entire game, and why you've been on this adventure. It plays after the first phase of the battle... and now you know you can win. Do it Mario, save the world!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Thanks for nominating, guys! Now it's time for the voting round! Now for the voting round, if you choose to vote, vote for at least two of the video game music nominations that will be listed below. You're allowed to vote for more than that, but, just know that the minimum is two. Anyone is allowed to vote!

Anywho, check out the nominees in the spoilers below! You can listen to each one, and vote for your favourites!

Spoiler:

If you're voting, just post on this thread! For example, you can vote like this:

Shadow Queen Part 2
    The Sun Rises
    Grand Finale/In the Final

You can just list your votes, or.. anyway you want; if you want to provide an explanation on why you voted for the themes that you voted for, that'll be great too! At any rate, happy voting, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back