• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Video Games Trivia

Years
  • THE EVENT

VG Trivia will be a longform event spanning the whole Get-Together. Teams will be answering a series of questions each day based around all things Video Games. This could be anything from eSports to easter eggs, I try to keep it both accessible enough so that between a team they will know most of the things off the top of their head, but also balance it with some zingers that may stump them. I will also be tying this in with the Video Games Music quiz, where on a similar basis teams will need to identify audio clips from video games. Answers can range to a location, character name or just the game itself.

As I'll alternate each of them, there will be a round of questions every day, but it will be VG Trivia > VGM Quiz > VG Trivia and so on. I aim to have this end on the 22nd October, so as to give me the remaining time to total everything up.

CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR

So firstly, I don't think I will be including the Trivia Masterclass. This is where 3 people from each team were selected to choose a subject of their choice and then for one of the rounds I asked them 10 hard questions about it. Firstly, I think it takes away from the team feel a little and also it was a nightmare getting teams to actually pick people, meaning some were having to be put on the spot last minute to answer questions. Instead, I have two ideas I am currently mulling over:

- A "live" quiz, where one of the days I will ask both teams questions live like in a quiz show. These will be quickfire rounds, fastest finger first scenarios where I will ask a question then give the teams a few minutes tops to discuss the answer in their channels, before then coming back to me with the answer.
    - A round where it is the teams versus myself the Quizmaster. Teams will need to come up with a list of questions to ask ME in an attempt to foil my big brain. Unsure whether I want to award teams points for me getting the LEAST answer right, or adding a twist of me getting the MOST right but not making it too obvious.

I will also be trying to duplicate games less where possible. This doesn't mean I won't be using the same SERIES and such, but for example I will try to avoid using 3 FF9 questions when I could ask a question about FF1, FF4 and FF11 for example. That said, I will include a list of genres and some series for people to expect, as I will bias towards some areas naturally as I mostly make this from the knowledge that I have.

So the 1st/2nd/3rd doesn't really apply here as it's an effort between the two teams. That said however, I think this year I am going to do separate points for VG Trivia and VGM, that way if a team does well in one and not the other, they can at least close the gap. However to make sure that it doesn't just mean a tie if one team wins one and the other team wins the other. As arguably VG Trivia requires more effort than VGM Quiz, I was thinking of 150/75 for VG Trivia and 100/50 for VGM, so it's 250/125 if one team wins both; 200/175 if one team wins VG Trivia and loses VGM Quiz; 175/200 if one team loses VG Trivia but wins VGM Quiz (and thus actually takes the lead back).

ACHIEVEMENTS

I think some generic stuff will be OK here, ideas being:
    - Achieve an average score of over 90% throughout the whole event (either Trivia or VGM)
    - Achieve a score of 100% at least 3 times throughout the event
    - Answer a round 100% correctly within 12 hours of the round starting

Last edited:
    Years

• VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA
    XRD III 412.18 DAYS EDITION

What is Video Games Trivia?

What is the Get-Together without VG Trivia? A miserable little pile of events. Your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to simply answer as many questions correct as possible. The winning team - the team with the most points at the end - will then be awarded 300 points towards their team's total at the end of the event, with second place receiving 150 points and last place receiving 75 points.

Each day, I will be posting a series of video game questions, ranging across all sorts of topics and challenges. These will run up to the 22nd October, to give me time to close off the event on the last day of the Get-Together.

Let's get down to business

Throughout the event, to try and create clear leads etc. for teams, there will be an internal scoreboard. Each question correctly answered will net you 5 points, with a full set giving you a bonus 5 points. In the event of a tiebreaker, the winning team will receive a further bonus 5 points.

Each day will start at around 00:00 EDT, depending on my schedule. Anything submitted after 00:00 will not be counted, it is on you to manage your timezones, not me.

If you wish to get updates on the event (answers, etc.) then you will need to be on our PokéCommunity Discord Server. Once there, you will need to assign yourself the @VGTrivia role (by simply typing /role add vgtrivia in either #gt-general or your team chat) and then you'll never miss another update again!

This event will be hosted mainly on the Discord server, so it would be advised if you could join there and join in the chat with your teammates, submitting a set of answers as a team to me via Discord messages (Arcaneum#0823). However if you are adverse to this, you are more than welcome to contact myself here via DM and I will use your answers to pad out any gaps that the Discord people do not get.

It's time to mix it up this year...

There are going to be some twists in this year's event! Firstly, this is the first year that the VG Trivia and VGM Trivia events are going to be combined! All the madness is under one roof and therefore each day I will be alternating between Trivia and VGM Trivia. I will also be deciding tiebreakers in a different way - there will be no bonus questions this time around.

The Trivia Masterclass feature will not be making an appearance this year. It was somewhat difficult to organise three people in a team and such, instead I will be featuring one of two events:

- A "live quiz", where it will be a fastest finger first scenario between two teams, with only seconds for each question.
    - A round of everyone versus me as the Quizmaster, where you are trying to tailor your own quiz to stump me. Points are scored on how creatively you can stump me (i.e. not just making stupid questions that are impossible to know the answers too).

I will also be trying to duplicate games less where possible. This doesn't mean I won't be using the same SERIES and such, but for example I will try to avoid using 3 FF9 questions when I could ask a question about FF1, FF4 and FF11 for example. That said, I will include a list of genres and some series for people to expect, as I will bias towards some areas naturally as I mostly make this from the knowledge that I have. That said, the genres and such are:

GENRES
    Spoiler:

SERIES
    Spoiler:

Finally...

A few closing notes - in the spirit of the competition, please try not to look up the answers! Use existing knowledge to answer these questions - there's a wide range of games, eras and genres mentioned so that there's something for everyone. If you have any questions at all regarding how the event is run, don't hesitate to post it here or message me.

The event itself is of course competitive, but the setup is made so co-operating will net you better results, so make sure to liaise with your team regularly, to have a better chance of winning!

And most importantly...kick back, relax, get your game on and have fun!

LEADERBOARD

Arqueros -
    Guerreros -

Back