• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

View on Self-Harm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriArk

Survey Corps
Years
  • Hi

Self-Harm can be a very personal topic for some people, by the way, so please try not to say anything too mean.
    Self-Harm has been a very taboo topic for many to talk about, as it's generally 'looked down upon'. However, I would like to know others view on the subject.
    So what do you think about it? Have you had any personal experiences with Self-Harm?

I have had troubles with self harm in the past, which kind of changed me completely. I once saw someone with cuts on their arm, but I couldn't really say anything to them, as I wasn't quite sure what they were going through and didn't know how they could do such a terrible thing like that to themselves. About a year ago, though, some bad stuff happened (I'd rather not say what) and the only way I could make myself feel better was hurting myself. My parents eventually found out and told my school, and I saw the school councillor who helped me deal with what was bothering me. That was pretty much my whole story with Self-Harm, except I also had a best friend who did it too.

Years
  • Self-harm is very concerning. I don't think someone who is not struggling to cope would do it. So I see it as a concerning symptom that means someone needs some help, fast. I don't look down on people who do it, I just worry and wonder if there's something I could/should do for them. I don't think it's something that should be looked down on (nor celebrated) but something that should tell people that this person is having a hard time and deserves love and care.

I've never been a self-harm person. I've hurt myself before, but mostly in the course of trying to kill myself. Self-harm isn't my style I guess. It always seemed random to me. I can see why other people would want to do it, but it's just not a defense mechanism that resonated with me. My younger sister used to cut, and I always wanted to help her out, but family politics prevented me from doing so. I also had a sorority sister that cut, and I tried to be there for her as best as I could.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • A poor way to deal with your problems unless your problems involve needing to cause harm to yourself to avoid death. Otherwise, there are probably far better things you can do about anything troubling you/upsetting you.

Though I am aware that logic is probably out of the window by the time you hit that sort of position. If I know anyone self harming, I simply try to be there for them. It's all I can really do at the end of the day.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • so please try not to say anything too mean.
    Excuse me? Isn't that what freedom of speech is about?

Self-harming is stupid. Plain and simple. There are a plethora of other ways to cope with emotional pain, just saying. Cutting is so 2007.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Excuse me? Isn't that what freedom of speech is about?

Self-harming is stupid. Plain and simple. There are a plethora of other ways to cope with emotional pain, just saying. Cutting is so 2007.

Free speech!! I can offend anyone if I want!! Because IDC! Yeah right that's totally what it's about.

Apparently for some people that seems like the only way DUH otherwise they wouldn't do it.

It's really like a vicious cycle and it becomes a habit and it's addictive, it's a hard thing to deal with and I really don't think it should be taken lightly.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • saying self-harm is "stupid" is akin to saying suicide is "stupid" which is blatantly ignorant and factually painfully incorrect. when you're feeling that poorly, this is not a decision that you are consciously, rationally able to make -- when you feel the urge, you don't weigh the fucking pros and cons in your head before you do it. you just do it. it's impulsive, because you're feeling that shitty in the first place. being stuck in the doldrums can cause otherwise sensible people to do things like this and it is disrespectful to undermine their problems by calling them "stupid," which in itself makes their problems seem illegitimate which THEN makes them feel even shittier about having them in the first place. so basically don't do that.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Yo, I'm just saying that we're free to say what we want if we're gonna discuss something, not sugarcoat everything in case some pussy gets butthurt.

Well, it's not. DUH.

Spoiler:

Seriously? You're really just being a dick and extremely offensive in a thread about a sensitive topic for some people for the sake of it. It's not cool and it's not contributing and it's just annoying and immature. Free speech right?

And regarding that picture and in relation to the topic, I think that's also the kind of stuff that enables people to be insensitive about it and see it as a joke. But we all knew Family Guy was horrible anyway.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I love how people don't know the difference between being a dick and being honest 'cause of how society has taught us to be pussies about everything.
    no, I think you're the one that doesn't know the difference between being a dick and being honest. society hasn't taught us jack shit about being "pussies" about everything, it's just that some people try really hard to assert their dominance over others by making them squeamish for no good reason other than to feel superior and make themselves look "edgy" and "hardcore" or whatever I don't fucking know.

I have no interest in continuing this much further but I think you need to step back and look at the posts you've made here and try to put yourself in someone else's shoes reading them, and realize that you've painted yourself as kind of a dick, to be frank.

Years
  • I should have known before I clicked on this thread, that this is what is was going to become. .-.
    My least favorite type of people are those who refuse to see things from another perspective or put themselves in another set of shoes. Lack of empathy isn't a very awesome trait imo...

Many people who self harm have other, often untreated problems or mental issues and the self harming is merely the tip of the iceberg. Whether that be a problem coping with stress, bad self image, depression, anxiety disorders, or something else. People start self harming for varying reasons, but it seems as though once they start it's very hard to stop. Especially when they don't know healthy ways to cope with their emotions. When they're hit with a triggering event or thought, such as an intense amount of stress or a bought of depression, often times they don't know what else to do, and that's the only way they've conditioned themselves to cope and so simply that's how they cope. When many people do stop, who haven't treated the root of the issue or found a positive outlet, they turn to things like drugs, alcohol, or other things as a coping method instead which is just as vicious.
    Yes, self harm is NOT a healthy outlet or coping mechanism. But it shouldn't be so violently attacked either. What needs to be understood is that it is a coping mechanism and for some people, it's the only one. They need support, help, and guidance to find more healthy ways to cope.

Also. Cutting isn't the only form of self harm. Nor is burning. Self harm can surface through throwing yourself to people sexually and allowing people to do whatever they want. It can be an eating disorder. It can be excessive exercise. It can be a number of things. It isn't limited to physically inflicting pain on yourself.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Well that didn't take long.

I was gonna post a warning and let this carry on but I already think that it's beyond salvageable. It's not even been 24 hours and this thread has already descended into a pit of internet bravery and personal insults and that is absolutely not okay for a topic of this nature. Show some sensitivity next time, people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back