• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wally

Years
  • What did you guys think about Wally's increased role in ORAS? Do you think it was enough, or would you have liked to see more? Do you think Wally should have had a greater impact on the storyline? If so, in what way?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    I liked the Wally's increased role in ORAS but I felt it was not enough.
    Yes, I would have liked to see more about this character, a character started as a not so self-confident person and ended up to being a self-confident trainer that doesn't fear to lose anymore changed by the experiences in his adventure with his Pokemon.
    So I think that Wally should have had a greater impact in the plot (I don't have in mind now in what way), at least, in that way, the battle in the Victory Road could have been more special.
    That's the way I think of it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Wally's a bishounen.

I think his roles aren't enough, Wally's role can be expanded for more obviously.
    Who doesn't want to see Wally? :P
    For example, Wally should be part of the Lilycove Aqua base raid.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • As good as it was to see him in an increased role, I feel he still could have been more prominent to the story. One of the things I like about characters like Wally is character development and how, in the end, they actually become a real challenge after basically stomping him every encounter you got.

That and, among other things, seeing how their involvement and impact on the plotline changes from the start to the end.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • When it came to playing ORAS for me, one thing that I really appreciated was Game Freak trying a bit harder in character development, whether that was developing it for new characters or adding more for pre-existing ones. Wally was one of those characters.

Really, his development as a sickly boy to quite possibly one of my top five favorite in-game characters was a very refreshing way to not only spruce up his original incarnation but to add more dynamic to the rival moniker he has. It also helped with the much needed improvement in graphics that allowed many characters to actually emote it added much more humanistic feeling into the relationship he had with the main character.

I do wish we could have at least one battle between his Mauville and Victory Road ones; kinda like a slow build to the more competent trainer he ends up becoming in the post game. Speaking of...

I'm not particularly one of those who favored that you can only rematch his pre-final team by beating a Super challenge in the Maison. Could have at least did for his Final Form team and had his penultimate one be when you defeat the Pokemon League a 2nd time and/or when you defeat the normal Maison challenges.

Other than that little gripe, Wally has definitely benefited from the remakes in one of the more satisfying, yet surprising ways in this series yet.

Years
  • It really was nice for me. I felt like Wally, and Brendan/May for that matter, got very little real prominence in the original RSE. And the 8-bit rendition of his theme is cute, too. ^^

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • That was exactly what I wanted from ORAS. In RSE, even at the end of RSE, when we battled Wally at the victory, I felt Wally still had a weak character. Sure, he had developed since you met him, but he wasn't the trainer you originally thought he's become. ORAS made sure that Wally developed his character in a good flow. He felt very confident, comparing to him in RSE. It was as if a new person was disguised in the original Wally.

Not to mention, he gave me a harder time battling him. I just felt that his pokemon were WAY stronger then in RSE. To show how much he developed, when you met him both in RSE and ORAS, he had a similar character to both, but at the of RSE and ORAS, the ORAS was way more confident than the RSE Wally.

Years
  • I think the rivals in general got heavily upgraded in these remakes, but especially Wally. He still felt kinda insecure after the final battle in the original games, but he feels way more confident now, along with having a powerful Mega Gallade and also his rematch team being competitive-level strength.

It's definitely a huge improvement compared to the original games.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The remakes' reiteration of Wally in my opinion has somehow helped his credibility as pointed out by previous posts already, so i don't really have to add anything else.

If there's something that I did somewhat like with Wally is that he was the in-game trainer that i often felt bad curbstomping at, especially in the old RSE games, where his pokemon didn't have the best of movesets, which made me felt even worse. There are times that I feel like i could have let the guy win and still let me progress through the game just to make me feel a little better for him but oh well.

However, I'm not pleased with the fact that the only way to challenge his Final Team in ORAS is that you have to go through a really long Super Challenge, and for those people who aren't really fond of breeding competitive IV and nature pokes nor are fond of EV+Super EV training then it really sucks for them. Battle Resort opponents, especially the Super Challenges, are obviously much stronger opponents than In-game trainers which require well trained (EVs) and well bred (IVs) pokemon to actually smash through.

As someone who's still progressing through the challenges in the Battle Resort in order to face Wally, I'm quite skeptical at the experience of facing him the final time, as the Gen 3 remakes' superboss. Though having peeked at some of his pokemon's movesets with his final team, I still find it hilarious that they gave a Physical Moveset on his ROSERADE of all things. PHYSICAL ROSERADE.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    I always felt like Wally was a great rival. More than anything, the artwork and style of his character in the game seemed to evolve as you got farther in the game, showing him going from a boy trying to be grown, to a boy who WAS grown and much more confident in his abilities. As someone above me mentioned, the graphics allowed this to be put on showcase to a much greater extent than in the original RSE, I loved it, and found the battle with him to be one of the best the game had to offer. While not exactly difficult, his team was certainly better than some.

If this game ever gets another remake sometime in the distant future on some distant handheld, I hope there is more Wally. Because between him and Stephen, the world had a lot more depth.

also: lol @ physical Roserade.

Back