• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Was there a way to obtain Mew legitimately on R/B?

Hassamu

Beamin'
Years
  • OK so I was wondering if there was ever a way to get Mew on Red/Blue without having to use a cheat device or the infamous 'Mew Glitch'?

I can't remember ever hearing of Nintendo holding events to give away Mew to players (though I may be wrong), so how were we supposed to ever get it?

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that Mew was given away at tournaments. I was too young to go to any tournaments, but I remember reading about it in a magazine.

I don't think there was ever a way to get Celebi in G/S/C though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    I remember i was reading it was under a truck in ss anne and i did beat out the whole game but i was like 6years so i dont remember if i got it
    I dont even know where my gb colour games are lol

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • The whole "mew under the truck thing" isn't true. The truck is there, mew isn't. Mew was only legitatamatly catchable in the Japanese versions. When you completed the pokedex you went to the game designer in Celedon and he gave you a mew. In the other versions you only got a diploma. :/

mugenhavok

Back after a 2 year brake
    Years
  • well there is one way and its not a glitch and its the english version...well there whas an event in japan (it works on the english version)called fushigino
    it was the only real way to get mew in r/b in the english version

The Red Chain

Technically the Mew Glitch is a way to obtain Mew legitimately.
    That's because it's a glitch not influenced by a third party device.
    If a third party device was used to make the glitch initiate, such as Gameshark, then it would be non-legit Mew.

Years
  • Back in the 1990's Nintendo had a machine in their store in New York City that gave you a Mew. Now the only way to get a Mew in the First Generation is the Mew Glitch or a GameShark.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    The whole "mew under the truck thing" isn't true. The truck is there, mew isn't. Mew was only legitatamatly catchable in the Japanese versions. When you completed the pokedex you went to the game designer in Celedon and he gave you a mew. In the other versions you only got a diploma. :/
    Getting a Mew instead of a diploma in Red or Green/Japanese Blue is a myth, same as the truck.

The only official ways back the day were going to a Pokemon Center, such as the one in NYC, and downloading it or via the Nintendo Power magazine. I can't recall if it was a contest or an advertisement, though, so I'd have to pull out my collection to find out.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I think it was given away as prizes in TCG tournaments. My friend had one but he never said how he got it, perhaps from a trade from Yellow?

Hassamu

Beamin'
    Years
  • Getting a Mew instead of a diploma in Red or Green/Japanese Blue is a myth, same as the truck.

The only official ways back the day were going to a Pokemon Center, such as the one in NYC, and downloading it or via the Nintendo Power magazine. I can't recall if it was a contest or an advertisement, though, so I'd have to pull out my collection to find out.

That clears things up, thanks.

Back