• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"We are all Americans": The US and Cuba restore diplomatic relations after 54 years

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • The United States and Cuba ended more than a half-century of enmity Wednesday, announcing that they would reestablish diplomatic relations and begin dismantling the last pillar of the Cold War.

The historic move, following 18 months of secret negotiations and finally made possible by Cuba's release of detained U.S. aid contractor Alan Gross, fulfilled one of President Obama's key second-term goals.

The decision is likely to reverberate across many political frontiers where the standoff between Washington and Havana has played a role — including across much of Latin America, where U.S. policy on Cuba has long been a source of friction.

"These 50 years have shown that isolation has not worked," Obama said in a televised, midday address. "It's time for a new approach."

Saying that he was "under no illusion about the continued barriers to freedom that remain for ordinary Cubans," Obama said he was convinced that "through a policy of engagement, we can more effectively stand up for our values and help the Cuban people help themselves."

In simultaneous remarks in Havana, Cuban President Raúl Castro affirmed his government's willingness for dialogue on "profound differences" between the countries, "particularly on issues related to national sovereignty, democracy, human rights and foreign policy."

Castro said that "Obama's decision . . . deserves the respect and acknowledgment of our people."

Obama and Castro — who spoke by phone Tuesday, the first such exchange between leaders of the two countries since the 1959 Cuban revolution — thanked Pope Francis and the Vatican, which they said were instrumental in promoting their dialogue, and the government of Canada, where secret talks that began in June 2013 were held.

In addition to reopening an embassy in Havana, the administration plans to significantly ease trade and financial restrictions, as well as limits on travel by Americans to Cuba, by using its regulatory and enforcement powers to evade limits imposed by a congressionally mandated embargo.

Americans will be permitted to send more money to Cuban nationals, use their debit and credit cards in Cuba, and bring $100 worth of Cuban cigars into this country. U.S. exports to Cuba will be made easier, and additional items will be authorized. U.S. banks will be allowed to open correspondent relations with banks in Cuba.

The administration also said it would launch a review of Cuba's status as a state sponsor of terrorism, a designation it feels Havana may not deserve alongside Sudan, Syria and Iran, and would work with Congress to ultimately lift the trade embargo and other sanctions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5f5-11e4-a702-fa31ff4ae98e_story.html?hpid=z1

The lame duck running a marathon. It's hard to see how the Republicans can counter this and the immigration orders without putting the entire Latino vote in jeopardy. But it's certainly a first step in proving that the carrot is often more useful than the stick.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Better late than never I guess. But it's good to recognize that the policy towards Cuba for the last 50 years was utterly stupid and that its time to re-establish diplomatic ties with Cuba. We stand to benefit more as friends then we do as enemies. Plus, we can all get Cuban cigars. :D

And it's incredibly shrewd on Obama's part. Like Went said, this coupled with the immigration changes is a 1-2 punch that hits Republicans where it hurts - the Latino/minority vote. It's looking ahead to 2016.

Sir Codin

I was under the impression that majority of Cubans in Miami, say, want nothing to do with the Castros.
    Right, like, isn't the Castro communist regime the reason why we have Cubans in the states to begin with?

Years
  • Well this is certainly a good decision for them. But what if American tobacco companies push the state department? It's likely that they'll try to control the Cuban cigar trade. However, if tobacco in America expands to Cuba, some high taxes will probably be due.

Years
  • I was under the impression that majority of Cubans in Miami, say, want nothing to do with the Castros.

Right, but by supporting one over the other, the GOP risks alienating the other group. And, while they may not want anything to do with the Castros per say, the end of the embargo, and the effect that will have on their families back in Cuba, and making it easier to get to the US would benefit Obama/Dems politically.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I was under the impression that majority of Cubans in Miami, say, want nothing to do with the Castros.

Actually, a 52% of Cuban-Americans living in Miami are against the embargo, while Cuban-Americans under 30 oppose it by a whooping 62% against - 8% for, according to a poll by FIU Cuban Research Institute.

They may be against the Castros, yes, but they don't seem to believe the embargo is of any use in fighting them and is only hurting their run-of-the-mill co-citizens while giving the regime an excuse to keep opression levels high.

Tek

Years
  • About ****ing time. Pretty embarrassing that this country continued this for so long.

Lol I tend to agree. But then, it started with the Red Scare and the Cold War, and a lot of those folks are still around. It often seems that the old paradigms stick around until the supporters of those paradigms, er, 'retire from the game', if you get my meaning.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Lol I tend to agree. But then, it started with the Red Scare and the Cold War, and a lot of those folks are still around. It often seems that the old paradigms stick around until the supporters of those paradigms, er, 'retire from the game', if you get my meaning.

I've personally noticed a lot of old habits from the Cold War sticking around even decades after the USSR collapsed. I guess old habits die hard, whether its cultural or even if it's diplomatic, such as this Cuba thing.

I wonder how this might affect the economy?

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I'm curious to see how this affects baseball players to be honest.
    This might boost our economy in ways that most PokeCommunity members might not realize...

Better late than never I guess. But it's good to recognize that the policy towards Cuba for the last 50 years was utterly stupid and that its time to re-establish diplomatic ties with Cuba. We stand to benefit more as friends then we do as enemies. Plus, we can all get Cuban cigars. :D

And it's incredibly shrewd on Obama's part. Like Went said, this coupled with the immigration changes is a 1-2 punch that hits Republicans where it hurts - the Latino/minority vote. It's looking ahead to 2016.

WOOT Cuban cigars. I accidentally got my doctor to buy some for his friend for Christmas.
    I can see this, since even though Cubans are actually more Republican in general, they've been shifting towards the Democrat side during the past decade. Not too much an overall Latino vote, since Latin Americans vote Democrat, but Cubans had voted Republican overall.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • While everyone seems to find this as good news, I've just found a negative comment from another website that was fully against this from an article discussing about North Korea (I'll just bold the part where it mentions the U.S. and Cuba):

Jaxon the N. Koreans still are at war with us. The Korean conflict never "officially ended" if I remember correctly

N. Korea considers Kim Jong Un a deity or demigod.

That being said these backwater asian hick savages do not have the capability to DIRECTLY threaten the US. Sony caving in to these *******s gave them credibility and this is a milestone in the end of free speech that historians will study decades from now.

Combined with the fact Obama bent over for the Castro regime The **** hath truly hit the fan and it is a wonderful time for communists and tyrants.

Also, exporting Cuban cigars seems to be hypocritical for the U.S. after all the various anti-smoking commercials they've been putting over the years (aren't cigar just as bad as cigarettes?).

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Combined with the fact Obama bent over for the Castro regime The **** hath truly hit the fan and it is a wonderful time for communists and tyrants.
    I dunno, that sounds really damn biased. I'm not a fan of politics but I think this gesture is more of an emulation with other countries, most of which have lifted the ban, as opposed to sucking it up from terrorist countries.

I'd like to also point out that communism isn't inherently bad in of itself, and that it leads to problems due to its structure conflicting entirely with how people in general work socially and being too idealistic, but it's not necessarily "bad" so to speak. It'd probably work if everyone was a robot. Most communist countries are "bad" outside of their own failures because it can lead to corruption of power like the infamous NK, but the said can be said for pure capitalism as well.

Ultimately we have to consider that cutting ourselves off from certain countries because of political differences is not something that you can viably do in a worldwide perspective that exists today, because there are other countries watching. The best that we can do is block ourselves off from countries which truly pose a threat to our well being, and I don't think Cuba really presents this threat, despite its proximity.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    somehow i am not willing to listen to the negative opinion of cuban/american relations from a person who described north koreans as backwater asian hick savages earlier in their quote

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    The Cuban embargo was a gross expression of U.S. imperialism from the beginning and has needed to go away for a long time now, so good on Obama for this. It's beyond outdated now, and the U.S. is better off seeking rapprochement as compared to outright hostility whenever possible. Most Americans would seem to agree as well.

I just hope America can eventually come to an understanding with Iran at some point, too.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • The Cuban embargo was a gross expression of U.S. imperialism from the beginning

Legitimate question here, how is the Cuban embargo an example of U.S. imperialism? Wouldn't that be the opposite of imperialism? It was a completely political gesture but I thought it was more because of the attempt to cut off communism's growth as opposed to pure imperialism. I don't understand so feel free to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Legitimate question here, how is the Cuban embargo an example of U.S. imperialism? Wouldn't that be the opposite of imperialism? It was a completely political gesture but I thought it was more because of the attempt to cut off communism's growth as opposed to pure imperialism. I don't understand so feel free to fill in the gaps.
    Imperialism simply refers to one country's attempts to expand its influence in another country or region, and that can be done by any means - including economic sanctions and embargoes. The U.S. used both as a means of attempting to remove Castro from power in Cuba, and it was doing this that backfired and drove the Castro government to the Soviet Union in the first place. Other means included the Bay of Pigs invasion and failed assassination attempts of Castro by the CIA. The embargo is a great example of economic imperialism in a country where the U.S. had a long history of it.

The U.S. in the Cold War often used containment of the Soviet Union, China, and their allies as an excuse for imperialism in other nations, especially in Latin America. But Castro's government didn't start out as an ally of the Kremlin, it was American policies that drove it there.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Thanks for clearing that up for me, I didn't understand specifically. I guess I had sort of a flawed view of what imperialism was (I thought it was specifically trying to gain direct control or influence over countries).

Sir Codin

somehow i am not willing to listen to the negative opinion of cuban/american relations from a person who described north koreans as backwater asian hick savages earlier in their quote
    He is right about Sony being cowards for caving into them, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Well this is certainly a good decision for them. But what if American tobacco companies push the state department? It's likely that they'll try to control the Cuban cigar trade. However, if tobacco in America expands to Cuba, some high taxes will probably be due.
    That probably won't happen. It would be incredibly stupid of American tobacco companies try to control Cuba's cigar trade. I probably need a refresher on Latin American history, but iirc there was a time when US corporations practically controlled the Cuban economy, and they were never very happy with that. But no country likes it when another controls their economy. So doing that kind of thing again, especially after lifting the embargo and opening relations again would be sorta suicidal.

As for the overall topic, I think that lifting the sanctions on Cuba and resuming diplomatic relations is a good idea, but we shall see how it goes. Decades of animosity isn't something that's easy to get rid of; things could go well, but things are also just as likely to get sour again.

How it affects the US political climate, I'll leave that part to the rest of you since I don't know **** about politics.

Back