• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week One: Anime you can't believe you actually sat through

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • (and there's only a bit of kirito). It doesn't feel like SAO anymore. It's like watching a drama of some sort.
    I'm sorry, where's the bad part in this? The least Kirito we've seen in SAO and starring an otherwise bland Asuna, I can't honestly see a downside to that. I mean, Kirito's probably my least favorite thing about the series, so a step away is practically a call to attention for me.

However, I do agree the Calibur arc feels like it's just there. And I really enjoy the Mother's Rosario arc since we finally get to see Asuna as someone else other than a clingy tsundere girlfriend of Kirito. It gives Asuna a bit more depth in her character, enough to save her from being on my hate list for being too bland for my taste.
    Your opinion on Asuna is eerily similar to mine, but I do find this interesting. I've never read/watched Mother's Rosario, but I can very easily see Asuna being a more interesting- even likable character on her own. After all, I really feel like she's only made a boring character because Kirito exists. When you take him out of the picture, quite literally all of the qualities that she's seen with, save for a brief showing of leadership, become moot and irrelevant. But when you remove him from the picture, you clear up a lot of empty space and that clears the way for meaningful character development.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • However, I do agree the Calibur arc feels like it's just there.
    Why wouldn't you want to see Kirito-kun getting uber special weapon.
    Imo it made a good reference to the Fairy Dance =D

Has anyone watched the anime Rail Wars?

Week One: Anime you can't believe you actually sat through
    Ouch, Boob Wars... =D
    I wanted to, but I couldn't =D

I'm always curious to what extent do people hate or love SAO. However I'm on the same par as Illusione with this one. Second half was pretty disappointing (although tbh it was already meh after a great first 3 episodes) and that to me felt lacking and horrible.
    I actually enjoyed GGO more than a lot of the first season. Sure the first few buildup episodes were pretty slow, but I enjoyed it once it got into the more action scenes and the tournament. Maybe it's because I do have a liking to FPS games. Mother Rosario arc was also rather enjoyable to watch, not as much as the GGO arc, but enough to make up for the Calibur arc.
    My extent is Silica.

Your opinion on Asuna is eerily similar to mine, but I do find this interesting. I've never read/watched Mother's Rosario, but I can very easily see Asuna being a more interesting- even likable character on her own. After all, I really feel like she's only made a boring character because Kirito exists. When you take him out of the picture, quite literally all of the qualities that she's seen with, save for a brief showing of leadership, become moot and irrelevant. But when you remove him from the picture, you clear up a lot of empty space and that clears the way for meaningful character development.
    This always happens with main heroines.
    They almost never serve more purpose than being MC-kun's sidekick.

Tainers

Dawn of a New Day
    Years
  • I forced myself to sit through Madoka. Had a deal with one of my friends who really likes that show. After watching idk if I can say I am a changed man because of it but I see what merit it has. I also managed to watch both Amagami SS and SS+. That series is like 6 hours of my life that I will never get back.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

• This always happens with main heroines.
    They almost never serve more purpose than being MC-kun's sidekick.
    I could probably name at least 20 examples of main girls that have their own individual purposes and personalities. It's really not an inherent thing, and there are many main girls that have their own rather than just being 2D bracelets for the main.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I could probably name at least 20 examples of main girls that have their own individual purposes and personalities. It's really not an inherent thing, and there are many main girls that have their own rather than just being 2D bracelets for the main.
    Well, it also depends on the year when anime was made, most newest anime work as I said =D

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I forced myself to sit through Madoka. Had a deal with one of my friends who really likes that show.

This is what I'm planning to do :s To watch Madoka by forcing myself. Most of my friends are practically drilling on me to watch it even when Magical girls anime is far from what I enjoy. Who knows I might end up enjoying it, but right now it just doesn't look appealing to me.

Tainers

Dawn of a New Day
    Years
  • This is what I'm planning to do :s To watch Madoka by forcing myself. Most of my friends are practically drilling on me to watch it even when Magical girls anime is far from what I enjoy. Who knows I might end up enjoying it, but right now it just doesn't look appealing to me.

What helped me to watch Madoka was to not think about it as a magical girl anime. That whole sub-genre isn't appealing to me as well but once you get past all the magical girl stuff it is a really interesting watch. Also as much as I hate to admit it, there's very good reason as to why Madoka fans always try to get people to watch it. Anyways, if it ever happens.. good luck with your Madoka journey!

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • How about another relatable topic to keep the discussion alive, huh? owo

Do you realize quickly that you're wasting your time with an uninteresting or bad anime? Or do you try to give the show a chance by watching many episodes before making your final decision?

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • When I was in high school, a girl gave me her DVDs for Ouran High School Host Club and demanded that I watched it.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

I'll admit, it was funny. But I remember I tried to rewatch to see what it was like when i was older. And half way through episode one i was just like "No, god no, never again"

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Some surprises here, MIrai Nikki? I know it isn't a 10 out of 10, but I can hardly imagine someone getting bored with it. Anyway, we're all different, that is the interesting part I guess.

The only show I can think of that would fit into this category is Trinity Blood. I had the series on hold for about 1 year. I hate when stuff goes nowhere, and the whole thing about future vampires got really silly with the narrative the show had.

Additionally, at first Gundam SEED was a shock with the poor animation quality, I mean, apart from the OP and ED the series could be perfectly reproduce in a Power Point presentation LOL. However I am very fond of the series due to my Gundam fanatism, so we can let that go.

If anyone has ever saw my list then you gussed it: Glasslip. Freaking Glasslip.

Omg, yes. Even now I can't even think what I did to get through it. It was almost unwatchable.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Do you realize quickly that you're wasting your time with an
    uninteresting or bad anime? Or do you try to give the show a chance
    by watching many episodes before making your final decision?

I have this personal rule that if I have ever made it past episode 5 of any given show, I'll stick to it to the very end.

And at that point I'm starting to see the terrible things that Glasslip had. I mean, first few episodes were decent, it's really like any kind of SoL romance so far, but the longer it continued, it started to drag a lot.

I decided to marathon the show when it reaches the end, just to see differences. Still had no changes whatsoever.

Skip Class

Years
  • I'm always that person who keeps telling self to give it a chance... who know it'll probably be good. And then once it's done I then regret everything. I do give it a 3 episode rule to decide if it's a good, decent or bad anime, but even then I still watch it till the end because I always feel like I have to finish it once I've started it.

When I was in high school, a girl gave me her DVDs for Ouran High School Host Club and demanded that I watched it.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

I'll admit, it was funny. But I remember I tried to rewatch to see what it was like when i was older. And half way through episode one i was just like "No, god no, never again"

Funny enough Ouran was the thing that really got me into watching anime xD It was the first anime that I knew was an anime and was the first thing that got me hooked. Although I admit that it was either 3 or 5 that really got me into the series. I was skeptical at first because I had a friend recommend it to me and the beginning was kinda meh to begin with, but after I got through with the first few episodes I got hooked.

Years
  • It was probably B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time.

I came across this anime on Netflix and decided to watch it, and my face during the entire series was "o_o." Its about this girl who is a virgin and her goal is to screw over 100 guys, but she unknowingly falls in love with a guy she meets at a book store, and the entire series is how she denies the love but ends up confirming the love and its a whole bunch of what

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • Just recently, I watched Amagi Brilliant Park. The show went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far into the fiscal responsibilites of the protagonist in his quest to save an amusement park. Eh, at least I'm not the only one who sat through it.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Do you realize quickly that you're wasting your time with an
    uninteresting or bad anime? Or do you try to give the show a chance
    by watching many episodes before making your final decision?

For the most part it takes at least 2 episodes for me to really decide if I want to watch an anime or not, and if by the third episode if I don't like it and/or haven't heard much about the anime from other people I usually drop it. But once I get to the third episode I'm sticking with it until the end.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Hm, I guess this is tough. There are a lot of anime that I sat through entirely, but I finish them because I was wondering what the heck was so popular about them (Mekakucity Actors, Ao Haru Ride), so I can believe that I watched all of those haha. But anime that I can't believe I watched through? Ano Natsu de Matteru, Soul Eater NOT, Galilei Donna, Gingitsune, Ryuugajou Nanana, and Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (don't know the English name, I just have it up on MAL in Japanese sorry) are probably a few. Alright that's more than I expected :P

Ano Natsu de Matteru - I don't remember all of the specificities but I really despised this anime after watching it. I thought the alien aspect of the show was really poorly handled and the romance was pretty awful and melodramatic for no reason. I won't comment on anything else because I blocked it out from my memory but I hated it so much I don't understand why I completed it.

Soul Eater NOT - How can the spin off to such a great show fail so horribly? I probably watched this just to have an excuse to listen to the opening song every week. But honestly, maybe it's because I expected it to get better. But it was pretty clear early on that this was going to be bad. The characters were cookie-cutter stereotypes, problems were never resolved, and the anime couldn't pick which genre it was going to be, which caused it to fall short in all aspects.

Galilei Donna - I honestly don't even remember what this anime was about and I don't remember it being spectacular. Which means that I probably should not have sat through all of it. I don't think it was terrible I just think it was lacking something (besides from a great opening song that I still like)

Gingitsune - Another bland show that, if I had watched now, I would have dropped halfway through. The characters were alright, there was just no resolution. Honestly I don't even remember the ending.

Ryuugajou Nanana - When I heard about the concept, the show seemed a lot cooler than it actually was. Too many sideplots and I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a comedy show or not (so, awkward comedy and not that great delivery)

Inou Battle - I know this was supposed to be a slice of life show but it was kind of really bad? The storyline with Andou and the red-haired girl was alright and I didn't hate that part, but it seemed that they were planning on putting an explanation for their superpowers but they never went through with it? And one girl was kidnapped one episode and everyone just forgot about it... what? If you took away the superpowers you would have a show that was almost exactly the same, and I get that it's the point (that their ordinary lives kept going even though they have superpowers), but that gave me the impression that they were only using the excuse of superpowers to sell a mediocre story.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Funny enough Ouran was the thing that really got me into watching anime xD It was the first anime that I knew was an anime and was the first thing that got me hooked. Although I admit that it was either 3 or 5 that really got me into the series. I was skeptical at first because I had a friend recommend it to me and the beginning was kinda meh to begin with, but after I got through with the first few episodes I got hooked.

Well, I feel the need to clarify: I don't think it's a bad anime or whatever. Hell, it's probably really good. But in the sense of after watching that anime, I was definitely left with the feeling of "Oh my god, did I seriously just watch this kind of anime?" I was left so dumbfounded with myself. :P

Skip Class

Years
  • Well, I feel the need to clarify: I don't think it's a bad anime or whatever. Hell, it's probably really good. But in the sense of after watching that anime, I was definitely left with the feeling of "Oh my god, did I seriously just watch this kind of anime?" I was left so dumbfounded with myself. :P

Forgot to kinda add to my last post. But yeah I was going to say, OHSHC isn't really for everyone. I have friends who I thought would like it, but they just didn't like the sense of humor.

It's kind of like a lot of people liking Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, I couldn't real deal with the humor and dropped it after episode 1.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • How about another relatable topic to keep the discussion alive, huh? owo

Do you realize quickly that you're wasting your time with an uninteresting or bad anime? Or do you try to give the show a chance by watching many episodes before making your final decision?
    In most cases I filter that before I start something.
    Once I start something, I watch 'till the end.

Just recently, I watched Amagi Brilliant Park. The show went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far into the fiscal responsibilites of the protagonist in his quest to save an amusement park. Eh, at least I'm not the only one who sat through it.
    Well... Amaburi was supposed to be comedy, what would you expect? =D

Guess you expected too much from those series :)

Soul Eater NOT - How can the spin off to such a great show fail so horribly? I probably watched this just to have an excuse to listen to the opening song every week. But honestly, maybe it's because I expected it to get better. But it was pretty clear early on that this was going to be bad. The characters were cookie-cutter stereotypes, problems were never resolved, and the anime couldn't pick which genre it was going to be, which caused it to fall short in all aspects.
    It could pick =) It was about cute girls doing cute things with occasional cameos of SE characters to justify the name "SE".

Inou Battle - I know this was supposed to be a slice of life show but it was kind of really bad? The storyline with Andou and the red-haired girl was alright and I didn't hate that part, but it seemed that they were planning on putting an explanation for their superpowers but they never went through with it? And one girl was kidnapped one episode and everyone just forgot about it... what? If you took away the superpowers you would have a show that was almost exactly the same, and I get that it's the point (that their ordinary lives kept going even though they have superpowers), but that gave me the impression that they were only using the excuse of superpowers to sell a mediocre story.
    This isn't supposed to be SoL, this is... TRIGGER!
    You can't expect solid story from TRIGGER =D

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • It was probably B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time.

I came across this anime on Netflix and decided to watch it, and my face during the entire series was "o_o." Its about this girl who is a virgin and her goal is to screw over 100 guys, but she unknowingly falls in love with a guy she meets at a book store, and the entire series is how she denies the love but ends up confirming the love and its a whole bunch of what

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Yamada-sama is amazing! D: How dare thee!???

The whole show is self-induced parody of the ecchi genre, while being ecchi at the same time! How could someone possibly not like that? ;___;

Well, unless you don't like ecchi, that would make it the most horrible show you could've ever watched.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back