• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Three: Main characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    10 weeks of anime: week three
    Main characters
    -(๑☆‿ ☆#)ᕗ

This week, let's talk about what we look for or prefer to see in a main character owo

When I was watching Gundam SEED, I couldn't believe the amount of hate it got, especially when it was directed towards Kira. "Oh, he's such a baby", "Kira needs to man up", "WUSS". Things like that. I never understood it, considering Kira's personality and the situation he was forced into. I always thought he was really realistic. So I guess my favorite kind of main character is one that's flawed.

What do you look for when it comes to main characters? Do you tend to like them, or nah?

Would you prefer a main character that's a complete unstoppable badass, or one that shows an astounding amount of realistic qualities?

What are some of your favorite main characters? What about least favorite? Why?​

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    One main character whom I really disliked is Onii-shiba Tatsugod-kun. Under his shallow façade of humbleness (which no other character seems to be able to see through), he's really pretentious.

So now that we're done talking about the type of character that I don't like, we'll move on to a character with a respectable personality.

Heavy Angel Beats spoilers may follow.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Other than my obsession with God of Onii-samas, I tend to like OP protagonists all together.
    But I prefer those that are OP from the start, it's good that newer anime use this type instead of wimpy protagonists that was the previous trend.
    If protagonist is wimpy, you just know he will become OP and it just prolongs the inevitable.

As for protagonists I didn't like... I tend to cheer for protagonists so it's harder for me to really not like someone.
    But... liking Kasuga from Aku no Hana or Makoto from School Days is not something I would do.

One main character whom I really disliked is Onii-shiba Tatsugod-kun. Under his shallow façade of humbleness (which no other character seems to be able to see through), he's really pretentious.
    How can you NOT like Onii-sama?!
    (And I do not think he is capable of being pretentious, though xD)

Heavy Angel Beats spoilers may follow.
    And they should be in spoiler =D

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    Okay, I put the spoilers in. But it feels really weird to use spoilers when the purpose of the thread is to discuss why we love the characters. (We'd have to explain the circumstances and stuff, right?)

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Okay, I put the spoilers in. But it feels really weird to use spoilers when the purpose of the thread is to discuss why we love the characters. (We'd have to explain the circumstances and stuff, right?)

Spoilers are spoilers, the thread topic is completely irrelevant.

Anyway, back ON topic, yes? :D

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    There's no need to spoil the whole thing just to say you like a character, just saying... Anyway.

I'm a big fan of those characters which are similar to the viewer, when they create some sort of bridge between reality and the series.

As an example, Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion, a guy forced to do something very uncomfortable and acting probably like any of us would do. Additionally, Keichii from Higurashi no Naku koro ni (and if you've seen this I think I don't need to explain lol!).
    I guess that would fit into the "real" characters category, but I wouldn't go that far. Sometimes being "similar to reality" doesn't create any connection to RL. I guess that would be a different discussion anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back