• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird Files On Computer

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    The problem is I noticed some4 weird programs in the taskmanager and I haven't seen them before. The first is this msn.exe. I know it's not legit because it was in my user folder. It was also a different filename before I restarted the computer. Malwarebytes didn't pick up a virus so I decided to upload to virustotal and I got a timeout I think >_>

The other problem is this weird qwrtaw5.exe I found it in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. It has Internet Explorer by it so I don't know what to think. It kept appearing after I closed it. I would have to guess that it comes with the later updates of internet explorer. I don't see where I can revert back to the original. I think I tried deleting the file and I got bsod >_>

I was looking at the startup program list in tuneup utilities and I have to internet explorers there. It lets me disable the first one but on the second one I get the error below. The one that I get the error is grayed out below in the target field. It looks like it might be the same file but I'm just trying to be sure. I don't know if this random qwrtaw5.ex is the result of the updated internet explorer but I see no results from searches about it on the internet... I'll go ahead and remove it and see what happened after I restart the pc.

Weird Files On Computer

Weird Files On Computer

Weird Files On Computer

Weird Files On Computer

Weird Files On Computer

Weird Files On Computer

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited:

Guest123_x1

The legitimate "msn.exe" is supposed to be for MSN Explorer. However, as you stated, the specific file you're questioning is not legit. Did you get ahold of the "msn.rar" some way or did you pack the "msn.exe" in the "msn.rar" file? (If the aforementioned RAR file was downloaded and not something you packed yourself, that should raise a red flag.)
    Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\ProgramData\qwrtaw5.exe.
    From my interpretation of the message, it looks as if the "qwrtaw5.exe" tried to connect to the internet and either tried to access or upload a file on broupload (which has been suspended as of this post).
    There shouldn't be any executables in the C:\ProgramData folder itself whatsoever. (For the most part), there should be a bunch of folders related to programs you have installed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    qwrtaw5.exe

That executable looks like a random sequence of characters. Malware does this often. I suggest scanning your computer with malwarebytes.

Back