• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Awh man, inner focus, really???

I was hoping form those shimmery wings it'd get something like magic gaurd or... hell Idunno. Something besides another circumstantial flinch ability. >:C

Ah well. if they boost its regular defense to its Sp. Def's levels, and give a nice speed/attack boost, it'll wreck anywho. And hey, iffff they haven't already confirmed it's still psychic / fighting, couuuld it get that fabled Fairy / Fighting shift in mega?

The Fairy/Fighting rumors are debunked as of now; Mega Gallade stays Psychic/Fighting.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • The Fairy/Fighting rumors are debunked as of now; Mega Gallade stays Psychic/Fighting.

B'aw poo. That would've been so cool. Aw well :L Couldn't really see it 'playing rough' anyways. They really REEEALLLY even more than adding new megas, just need to add some more damn fairy moves in ORAS and generations beyond. If it can't play rough, and doesn't get pixilate, it can't attack physically with fairy. >:C

Years
  • Mega Gallade gets Inner Focus? Wow, very disappointing. I was like hoping for something more awesome like Adaptability, Defiant or even Justified. Kept its Psychic/Fighting typing as I expected.

Platinum does have a point that it could be outclassed by its Life Orb counterpart, but at least he'll be able to attack through any Fake Out he receives. Also hoping he can get a good enough Speed increase so that he can still be a threat.

But yeah I guess of the two Ralts line Megas, Gallade may pretty much get outclassed by Gardevoir since he has the more inferior ability of the two.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay, now I'm start to feel a bit better about Mega Gallade having Inner Focus. Let's hope the stat boosts compensate for this.

Anyway, I totally forgot to come up with sets for Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert:

Sceptile:
    -Leaf Storm
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Timid/Modest (latter only if Mega Sceptile's Speed turns out to be 150; otherwise, Timid)
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Sceptilite (?)
    Ability: Overgrow

Special attacking Mega Sceptile and the otherwise perfect counter to Wash Rotom.

or
    -Leaf Storm
    -Dragon Pulse/Outrage
    -Earthquake/Focus Blast/Rock Slide
    -Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Rock Slide
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe (EVs can be rearranged depending on final stats)
    Item: Sceptilite
    Ability: Overgrow

Mixed Mega Sceptile seems kinda weird, but it uses Sceptile's good physical move pool.

Swampert:
    -Waterfall/Hydro Pump
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch/Ice Beam
    -Superpower/Stealth Rock/Rain Dance
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Naughty/Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Swampertite (?)
    Ability: Torrent

Rain teams don't really need their Mega slot, so Mega Swampert can be used if you don't feel like using Kabutops as a physical Swift Swimmer, or Scizor, Manectric or Ampharos as the team's Mega. Lack of priority kinda hurts, but Swampert is bulky enough to take priority at least. Hydro Pump or Ice Beam are options if you don't want Mega Swampert to be walled by physical walls (other than Gliscor or Therian Landorus, who take loads from Waterfall or Ice Punch).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So there's a trailer now about Primal Kyogre and Groudon's new moves and abilities (and other things):

Whatcha all think about these abilities? All I can hope for is that they aren't permanent weather conditions.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • So there's a trailer now about Primal Kyogre and Groudon's new moves and abilities (and other things):

Whatcha all think about these abilities? All I can hope for is that they aren't permanent weather conditions.

Serebii says the weather fades out after Primal Kyogre/Groudon are switched out. Thank goodness.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Semi-perma-weather from Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre does sound like a sweet deal, but only they get to benefit from it unless they're in doubles. It's also neat that Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse are spread moves.

Primal Groudon benefits the most out of its own souped-up weather because normally it's 4x weak to Water. Now it can say "screw you" to the Water Pokemon that used to plague it so much simply by switching in to them. I think that this will make it an excellent check to Water Pokemon, something the regular Groudon did rather shakily.

Primal Kyogre is still a threat with its own weather ability; not even a weather change can stop it (unless it's from Primal Groudon; I could be wrong upon release).

Potential sets for both Pokemon:

Groudon:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Precipice Blades/Earthquake (the latter if Blades turns out to be weaker than Earthquake)
    -Fire Punch/Lava Plume/Thunder Wave
    -Toxic/Roar/Dragon Tail/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Impish/Relaxed/Careful/Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Primal stone (?)

Losing Lefties recovery hurts, but Primal Groudon could have its bulk increased to better take on opposing attackers. It now has STAB on Fire Punch and Lava Plume to make it even more threatening.

or
    -Precipice Blades
    -Fire Blast/Fire Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Solar Beam
    Nature: Naive/Naughty
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Primal Stone (?)

Mixed Primal Groudon, assuming its Special Attack gets a nice increase too.

In essence, Primal Groudon can pull off regular Groudon's old sets with more efficiency.

Kyogre:
    -Calm Mind/Thunder Wave
    -Origin Wave/Hydro Pump/Scald
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef or 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Primal Stone (?)

As is the case of Primal Groudon, it hurts to lose Lefties recovery, but Primal Kyogre could still pull off a Calm Mind set rather well. It can also use Thunder Wave to cripple incoming non-Ground/Electric sweepers.
    -

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Serebii says the weather fades out after Primal Kyogre/Groudon are switched out. Thank goodness.
    Whew. That's good. I was scared for a bit there that they brought perma weather back.

Now I have to wonder how the ability to nullify Fire or Water attacks will impact Ubers. If it only happens while the Primals are in play, it doesn't effect Kyogre much, since you'd never really use a Fire attack on it anyway, but it does help Groudon a lot. Being weak to the STAB of your opposite sucked for it, and being Ground/Fire would've been terrible without Desolate Land. I guess it kinda evens them out really.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    im guessing primal groudon would be an good check/counter to xerneas due to its new fire typing. with its sun-boosted fire attacks/powerful physical attacks, shouldn't be hard to score a 2hko or even an ohko on it.

also, primal kyogre can't touch primal groudon under desolate land. hydro pump? **** off. ice beam? have fun spamming!

can't wait to see smogon's suspect tests :x

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I thought they were gonna do it with Dry Skin or not at all, but they finally did it. They finally evened out (or tipped the scales inversely) on the Gen 3 legends.

Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Also, way more hype for mega Gallade now. God he looks glorious in game. Can't wait to use thatttttt.

Detox

You know, I really don't think Primordial Sea is even comparable to Desolate Land in usefulness. They both negate weather changes and a certain type of attack, but who was going to attack a Kyogre with a fire type move to begin with? Kind of wasted potential if you ask me.

There's also the possibility of a P/M-Rayquaza that could have some sort of buffed Air Lock to negate these abilities, but I guess we'll have to wait and see about that.

Theorymonning time:
    Desolate Land pretty much makes P-Groudon an unruly monster. I can't even think of anything that truly counters it. The most Lugia can do to it would be to poison it and phaze it out with Dragon Tail or Whirlwind, but it would most likely take a Stone Edge off of P-Groudon's boosted attack stat in the process. Giratina can't burn it because it gets a secondary fire typing upon primal reversion. On top of that, it has only one weakness in ground, which is sort of terrifying considering that the only things in the tier with STAB ground type moves are opposing Groudon and Arceus-Ground (is this even a thing?), and those are checks. I can see it centralizing the Ubers metagame, and I don't doubt that Smogon will try to get rid of it ASAP. Though I feel that if Smogon does give it the boot, P-Kyogre might follow it.

Also, we don't know for certain if these guys need an item to utilize primal reversion. Remember, we do encounter them in their primal forms in the wild, so yeah…I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them being able to hold an item just yet.

Btw why did they give M-Gallade such a useless ability? Even something like Steadfast or Justified would have been better, but Inner Focus was just a horrible choice.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Btw why did they give M-Gallade such a useless ability? Even something like Steadfast or Justified would have been better, but Inner Focus was just a horrible choice.
    At least it doesn't have to worry about flinch hax :p

Detox

Well I guess that is extra insurance against Mega Medicham in a 1v1 face-off.

Though tbf, I feel like a lot of the new megas sort of got shafted ability wise. Sableye, Slowbro, and Sharpedo all lost the abilities that made them relevant to begin with. I mean dont get me wrong, Magic Bounce M-Sableye and Strong Jaw M-Sharpedo could be useful I suppose, but then we have things like Shell Armor M-Slowbro and the previously mentioned Inner Focus M-Gallade which makes me question if they are even serious with megas anymore.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • It may just be my biased guess, but I'd wager 200 big nuggets (or one furisode), that GF's reasoning behind those oddball abilities and confusing alterations with their megas to the way pokemon are played, is a direct attempt to change the way both those pokemon specifically, and the game itself are played. Mega Audino has an ability that has absolutely zero effect outside of one relatively newer competitive battle format, Mega Sableye loses the one thing people used it for ever, at all, Mega Lopunny gives a pokemon nobody ever used in the first place some potential viability... There's a theme there methinks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying trying to make a hard left for the battling and competitive scene. After all they've been pumping out titles at least once every year or so for the past few now, if they don't make serious changes and try to keep things fresh... from whence cometh our separation from CoD?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    but then we have things like Shell Armor M-Slowbro and the previously mentioned Inner Focus M-Gallade which makes me question if they are even serious with megas anymore.
    IDK, Shell Armor might not be so bad on Mega Slowbro. Depending on the boosts it gets to its stats, it could become a new Crocune that doesn't have to worry about crits. But Mega Slowbro is also the only Pokemon I can see Shell Armor being any good on, which is probably why the ability is never liked in the first place; most pokes that get it either have no use for it or get better abilities.

Detox

Well I don't know how much better than CroCune it will actually be, considering that it is weak to two of the most prevalent types in the metagame see: Dark & Ghost. It is also unable to hold lefties so it does lose a bit of longevity. Idk, just seems like something I wouldn't waste my mega slot on.

However I do look forward to using Aerilate + Double Edge Salamence. Looks good on paper as a wallbreaker, plus it has Roost so it can just heal off the damage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back