• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I know I've said it before, but telltale sign of a n00b - leaving Deoxys in its base forme.

can you elaborate on this? i understand that that deoxys-n is basically a weaker doexys-a but that doesn't make deoxys-n any less threatening. it almost always gets quickbanned by smogon every new generation along with deoxys-a because they're pretty similar

then again you are basically playing Ubers so i guess i can see where you're coming from

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Yeah so if Polar posts the battle, you'll see what I'm talking about, but this kid essentially just finished the Delta episode on ORAS and brought his freshly caught legendaries, without setup, to unranked Battle Spot Doubles. So to me, the unchanged Deoxys was a key indication that the player had taken minimal, if any, time to set up their team.

The people whom I've battled so far that run a threatening Deoxys usually run Deoxys-S or D. I'm not saying that the base forme isn't viable (hell, I'm the guy who recommended Dual Screens Raikou), but folks who like that mon just don't typically pick it.

But with Geomancy Xerneas, if it's faster than Dialga (which it will be if it's +Speed, unless the latter is scarfed), it can get in the Power Herb boost and will likely not be OHKO'ed, even if Dialga has Flash Cannon.

Don't want you to think I was ignoring you, and you make a good point, Xerneas can speed creep my Dialga pretty easily. Here's what I do to handle that:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Flash Cannon vs. +2 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 213-252 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lugia gets a Tailwind off unless my opponents fakes me out or swarms me with multiple super effective moves, and even then, Lugia can usually take those hits. So that's a +2 speed boost for my entire team, then I come in with this:

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 196-232 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO

I swapped my Choice Band out for a Choice Scarf, and now even a +2 Xerneas with max speed can't outspeed it. After Xerneas is out of the picture, Lugia and Mega Sableye can clean up shop.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    So I'm looking at what I'd do with it - but does anyone else have any suggestions / ideas with what to do with a Lickitung / Lickilicky in doubles? General experiences? Cloud Nine seems like something good to bother the obvious Mega Char Y's spammin' heat wave in doubles.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So I'm looking at what I'd do with it - but does anyone else have any suggestions / ideas with what to do with a Lickitung / Lickilicky in doubles? General experiences? Cloud Nine seems like something good to bother the obvious Mega Char Y's spammin' heat wave in doubles.
    There's always like Normal Gem Explosion Lickylicky or something lol.

But really, I'm not sure what to do with a Lickylicky in doubles. Cloud Nine's probably the best way to go though, I don't think that Own Tempo or Oblivious are gonna be so useful in doubles. It does get BoltBeam+Fire attack so there's that.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Yeah so if Polar posts the battle, you'll see what I'm talking about, but this kid essentially just finished the Delta episode on ORAS and brought his freshly caught legendaries, without setup, to unranked Battle Spot Doubles. So to me, the unchanged Deoxys was a key indication that the player had taken minimal, if any, time to set up their team.

The people whom I've battled so far that run a threatening Deoxys usually run Deoxys-S or D. I'm not saying that the base forme isn't viable (hell, I'm the guy who recommended Dual Screens Raikou), but folks who like that mon just don't typically pick it.

Don't want you to think I was ignoring you, and you make a good point, Xerneas can speed creep my Dialga pretty easily. Here's what I do to handle that:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Flash Cannon vs. +2 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 213-252 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lugia gets a Tailwind off unless my opponents fakes me out or swarms me with multiple super effective moves, and even then, Lugia can usually take those hits. So that's a +2 speed boost for my entire team, then I come in with this:

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 196-232 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO

I swapped my Choice Band out for a Choice Scarf, and now even a +2 Xerneas with max speed can't outspeed it. After Xerneas is out of the picture, Lugia and Mega Sableye can clean up shop.

You guys seem to forget Dialga has access to Roar.

Years
    Well that is true, but Dialga would basically have to get in the same time as Xerneas to stand any real chance at getting it out of there before it wrecks. But if it doesn't...then i'd think the +2 Moonblast with Fairy Aura would OHKO it if it wasn't loaded on Sp Def/HP EVs.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Oh yeah that's right - it's the sole stab explosion mon.... oh dear....

This presents a potentially troubling decision.

Oblivious and own tempo do not seen very appealing though, no. If it were like Lilligant and got teeter dance and own tempo, I'd do that, because then it'd be able to confuse both opponents simultaneously. But eh. Thanks for the kamikaze idea tho heh.

On dialga - I've seen a fair bit of Roar Dialga floating around recently. Probably because of generation showdown

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Well that is true, but Dialga would basically have to get in the same time as Xerneas to stand any real chance at getting it out of there before it wrecks. But if it doesn't...then i'd think the +2 Moonblast with Fairy Aura would OHKO it if it wasn't loaded on Sp Def/HP EVs.

Except Dialga actually lures in Xerneas and gets it to use Geomancy, only to phaze it out and consume its Power Herb. This way Xern loses its sole chance to sweep (unless you have some heavy support, like Dual Screen + Fairy Lock Klefki).

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Oh yeah that's right - it's the sole stab explosion mon.... oh dear....

This presents a potentially troubling decision.

Oblivious and own tempo do not seen very appealing though, no. If it were like Lilligant and got teeter dance and own tempo, I'd do that, because then it'd be able to confuse both opponents simultaneously. But eh. Thanks for the kamikaze idea tho heh.

On dialga - I've seen a fair bit of Roar Dialga floating around recently. Probably because of generation showdown

How's about an Assault Vest set with Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Explosion?

Also, it gets access to all the staples of a good Cleric. Wish and Heal Bell and all those goodies.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    How's about an Assault Vest set with Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Explosion?

Also, it gets access to all the staples of a good Cleric. Wish and Heal Bell and all those goodies.

Use Lickilicky for Wish + Protect (or Swords Dance + Explosion if you want (MUCH better than Belly Drum), but you'll probably need a +1 or +2 speed boost through some means such as Baton Pass). Lickilicky's 110/95/95 defenses are very good for PU, and even NU, and it walls a lot. I don't have much experience with these tiers, so feel free to check out this analysis.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Use Lickilicky for Wish + Protect (or Swords Dance + Explosion if you want (MUCH better than Belly Drum), but you'll probably need a +1 or +2 speed boost through some means such as Baton Pass). Lickilicky's 110/95/95 defenses are very good for PU, and even NU, and it walls a lot. I don't have much experience with these tiers, so feel free to check out this analysis.

Actually, I'm gonna take back my statement about Lickilicky's clerical viability. Wish is an Event-only move on that mon.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Eh, wish protect stall isn't really as viable in doubles, since it's pretty predictable and basically just "hey kill my teammate real quick" - Heal Bell sounds neat though :D I've only ever run clerics with Aromatherapy. (same thing I know) But hah, that vest idea is a neat concept, and it does have the bulk. Thanks for the suggestions - the swords dance explosion thing could also work sheerly based on the fact that doubles players usually protect or try and swap into at least one ghost when a probable explosion user comes out lol. Free swords dance based on scaring people yaaaay. I didn't even know it got swords dance.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Got my HA Tyrunt! This will be nice to garner some sweet trades in the near future. I'm soft resetting so I can get the right nature.

Years
    That is nice, I didn't participate in the tournament but i'm sure people will be giving them away over at TC soon after they breed some.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    could anyone please explain to me why user dark_azelf is glorified as the competitive battling god?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back