• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
  • What really annoys you about hacks?
    hacks
    hacks
    hacks
    hacks

I get annoyed by the following-
    1/ Tile errors. one or two i'm fine with, but if the whole hack is one big tile error, like a few of the hacks I've played, then i just really don't like it.
    2/Maps and scripts that are just minor edits, like making a building bigger and the rest is obviously just a mountanious Pallet Town, and then someone walks through it saying the same stuff as Oak.
    3/ pe0pl speekin liek tis
    4/ Bad spriting, if you can't sprite, don't.

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Cursing- I do not mind a single "damn" once in a while, but too many (like quartz) just annoys me and ususlly attracts and creates foul-mouthed hackers and obsessive South Park fans, then they go like "ZOMG I'M GONNA OUT-CUSS SOUTH PARK XDXDXDXDXDXD!!!!!!"

Really Poor Spritework- These kinds of hacks show that the hacker has put NO EFFORT into the hack, just look at Quartz sloppy sprites

Fakemon- Most of them are really terrible looking, I don't mind some, I just want them to be real good and with existing Pokemon like Pikachu and Eevee, Quartz used fakemon in it's entirety, with no existing Pokemon at all, not even Vulpix, instead, all my favorites are replaced with hideous and ugly fakemon, ALL 386 SLOTS IN THE POKEDEX REPLACED WITH FAKEMON, some of them just make me want to vomit, AND THEY HAVE NO EFFORT PUT INTO THEM AT ALL!!!!!!!

Really Bad Storyline- I do not mind a hack with the simple formula of the main games, I just do not want to see one that is nonsensical, like: "Groudon has destroyed the Earth, you now live on a small island near the moon and must travel to the sun to save the world with the raw power of 1999" yeah, something like that nonsense....

Poor Writing/Translation- Engrish anyone?

Tile Errors and small map edits- Example: a mountainous Pallet Town

Using the same characters- Professor Oak still being the Professor even though it's a completely diffrent region

Overuse of FireRed as a ROM Base- this one needs no explination, just count how many FireRed hacks there are on the forum, then count the number of other ROM base hacks like Ruby, this annoys me the most.....

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    (I don't see why Prof. Oak being a Prof. annoys people, as there is such thing as - Working holidays, conventions, and moving altogether. It may happen in real life)

What I hate most of all isn't actually in hacks. The attitude of the hacker is something I hate the most (well, some of them. The ones that need a script, but don't make it themselves, despite never learning. That is how hacks are made - learning!)

But, in hacks, the worst thing I see are the wrong pallette combinations and tile errors. OK, perhaps you found the right tile for this part in the pallette that doesn't match the others, that is OK to me, but if every tile doesn't flow with each other, it ruins it to me.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • wen pepol maek liek 3 hax and hav threds 4 each 1, n all a dem hav dis bad gramer an reely shallo storylins, but eech 1 is all liek "ZOMG dis da best hack evar, support [bad hack's name]!!!omg!!!1!!!!"

Mapping errors, as well as tile errors. I get annoyed when I see someone using the wrong tiles for some things, when all they would have to do is go into block editor and make a few minor changes to a preexisting block to make it suit their needs.
    Poor scripting, or lack of scripting. Example would be the reuse of the Oak Script, unchanged. I've seen people make slight alterations of it, and I can't say as much about them, except that they're just being lazy.
    Bad storylines that start out slightly unique, and then literally revert to the FireRed story after they get their pokemon/first badge/puberty.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Bad concepts: Look at Quartz's sprites closely. Are they bad? No. Most of the sprites themselves are actually decent. The POKEMON CONCEPTS are what are lacklustre. Also, storyline concepts and such that suck are bad.

HORRID spritework: Bad spriting can plauge even the best of hacks. In such as RijonAdventures (That Wii!), it's decent, but look at a hack like... POKEMON TOPAZ. (Most horrid piece of crap ever, outdoes even Quartz) All the fakemon are badly sprited and designed, and it makes the game unplayable.

Sloppy grammer and spelling: Again, mistakes are always there, and even in the best of hacks it's around (Brown has quite a few), and this is EXTREMELY grating. But the worst thing is hacks where you question the hacker's inteligence, with how bad the stuff is. Rule of thumb is: unless a hack is translated (In which this stuff always comes up, because... well, translating is hard.), you should ALWAYS spellcheck what you are putting in before it goes in.

More as I think of it.

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • I hate when hackers use poor grammar and bad scripts, and I'm especially annoyed from boring story-lines like "stop bad team from doing bad things, beat elite 4, capture all pokemon". Also, for the hacks that include them, I hate when hackers use badly made Fakemon. If your going to put them in, put some effort into them. Really, don't just put in effortless fakemon like Quartz.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Fakemon. UCK. They're sprited so ugly. And I also hate it when they don't finish the hack, like Pokemon ShinyGold. XD although a lot of work was put into that hack though. Also grammar. I just hate it if they don't have grammar. I also don't like tile errors. <.<

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    This should be stickied, and apart from those who have the sense not to make these mistakes to begin with, anyone who even thinks of making a hack should be referred to this thread.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    What annoys me most probably is the lack of effort put into the hack. I do not like a hack without unique events, attractive maps, and new characters. Also, I dislike the use of bad grammar and slang language, unless absolutely necessary.

Chad -

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Bad concepts: Look at Quartz's sprites closely. Are they bad? No. Most of the sprites themselves are actually decent. The POKEMON CONCEPTS are what are lacklustre. Also, storyline concepts and such that suck are bad.

HORRID spritework: Bad spriting can plauge even the best of hacks. In such as RijonAdventures (That Wii!), it's decent, but look at a hack like... POKEMON TOPAZ. (Most horrid piece of crap ever, outdoes even Quartz) All the fakemon are badly sprited and designed, and it makes the game unplayable.

But nothing can beat the epicness of......... JONIC

And by playing both hacks simutaniously, I discovered that Topaz is mearly a blatant ripoff of Quartz...... WITH TEAM ROCKET

Last edited:

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • there was already a thread like this O.o, but anyway, what annoys me the most is grammar, ( When people. have grammar, like this. seriously. go back to 2nd grade if you do this.....) and also, when they don't change the story, and have crappy starters like starly, zubat or bidoof -_-

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Hacks that aren't finished yet, especially really good ones. Still, beta to have betters than nothing.

Wait, scratch that, reverse it.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • I hear many people saying "I really don't like fakemon because thay are always sprited so badly!"

NOO!!

there is a difference between "I don't like fakemon" and "they are sprited badly", coz me I don't like fakemon if they are good or bad doesn't change, I just don't really like fakemon because they aren't pokémons they are just some kind of creatures.......even if they are god sprited
    but if someone like fakemon but just doesn't like because they are bad sprited it is another thing....because there are so many fakemon which are really awsome!
    well, no matter^^

what I don't like is when maps are too badly mapped no! I mean when maps are NOT mapped, but when they are only edited, if a hack uses the same region as the one of the rom base then I think he doesn't need at all to edit the map, but if he edits the maps then he should first make a worldmap and then completely make the maps NEW: if not it is really annoying -_-'

what I aldo don't like is when people insert tiles just for the sake of inserting tiles, same or sprites, I saw many hacks with tiles worse than the original tiles, either you use goos tiles from others or you learn to tile or you don't insert any new tiles at all and leave the oiginal ones, better than make new ones but which are worse than the original -_-'
    same for sprites, I also saw many sprites very cheaply done......

last, it really annoys most of all when I see everyone always hacking on FR because I really don't like these versions, my prefered version is emerald (in fact all 3 R/S/E) so when I see everyone hacking on FR I just don't want to play the hack, even if it is completely new done I know that it is FR and there is the ugly bag, the uly pokegear, I really hate them!
    if you like them ok you can like what you want but when everyone loves FR over all that everyone hacks on it it annoys me because then I got myself no hack I can play -_-'.....^^

edit:

Oh I forgot, what I also really hate is not really about the hack but about the hacker, when he starts and then just gives up, I also don't like people who do temselves nearly nothing for their hack and asks only help from other...........me I also ask help but till now I still do nearly everything alone that's why I ask help, alone it is difficut and if we aren't talented at everything there is less chances of a really graet hack^^

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I don't like it when people steal or rip things off of other hacks without permission. It simply annoys me to see it happen, and whats more is that the person who does it often tries to pass the stolen content off as their own without even credit. STOP HACKING SHINY GOLD[fill hack name]

Yea I don't like grammar mistakes, tiles errors, bad maps and mere text edits. If you're just starting off its fine, but if you're going to keep on doing it with no signs of improvement, then please read a tutorial.

Another thing that seems to catch me mad a lot is when people ask other people for help over and over again, without any attempt to try it out themselves. I've seen someone who gave up on their hack just because they couldn't script. I'll tell you now, when I first started scripting, I didn't know there were tutorials for it, I learned most of what I know through decompiling scripts.... then I met the tutorials section under the ROM Hacking header (and that's when I started asking people for help with certain scripting commands) :D

Last edited:

Scytha

mass effect freak
    Years
  • What I hate is when people talk like this:
    "You are worthless :P"

Bad spriting: As I'm a spriter this really annoys me....

Bad tiles: I cant stand bad tile insertion................it ruins it completely....

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    What annoys me about hacks - THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. NOTHING ORIGINAL. And what's worse; people don't seem to care.
    Also, the lack of imagination makes a hack really crap. That goes for both tiles and storyline.

Back