• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some of the worst or useless moves in Pokemon?

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
  • There are some moves that actually heal your opponents pokemon such as heal pulse. Plus, I don't know about you but moves that do damage to yourself in exchange for stat changes such as belly drum

Last edited:

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Swagger, don't you mean Belly Drum? Because that's pretty much how you do a solo Zigzagoon run in a nutshell so it can be useful.

Anyway, ignoring the most obvious answer we have Constrict, a move with a whole 10 power and a chance to lower the opponent's speed, which I've never seen it do. Also any of the moves that kill the user, that's just no fun. (insert joke about final gambit shedinja here)

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Swagger, don't you mean Belly Drum? Because that's pretty much how you do a solo Zigzagoon run in a nutshell so it can be useful.

Anyway, ignoring the most obvious answer we have Constrict, a move with a whole 10 power and a chance to lower the opponent's speed, which I've never seen it do. Also any of the moves that kill the user, that's just no fun. (insert joke about final gambit shedinja here)

No swagger, sorry I didn't explain that well, I meant that getting infatuated is not worth stats rising.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    No swagger, sorry I didn't explain that well, I meant that getting infatuated is not worth stats rising.

It also works on the opponent and not you so it is very much worth it if you're feeling like an asshole.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Well, aside from the obvious Splash (designed to be useless), I can think of:

Bestow: giving your foe an item only works if they have nothing, and you have a harmful item. Of course, if you really have a harmful item you want to pass along, Trick is much more reliable.

Water Sport and Mud Sport: could be marginally useful in a double battle, but Budew's Water Sport is the only one that actually helps the user itself avoid a weakness, since most Pokémon that learn these are already Water or Ground-type.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    • Splash
    • Memento
    • Focus Energy
    • Helping hand
    • Present

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Water/Mud Sport try to combine Water Sport with thick fat mons it just torture and even more worse using Water Sport + Rain Dance which makes fire attack just as weak and not super strong against bugs/steel/ice

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • How has nobody said Techno Blast? Genesect would rather use Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Flamethrower for its moves, and since you'll most likely use it competitively, the drives offer no use.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • Hold Back isn't a bad move, but it doesn't need to exist since it's a duplicate of False Swipe in every way, aside from being event-only. Quash and After You are a few other moves I've never really liked, and haven't really found any use for.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I've never understood the purpose of Quash. In single battles it's unusable, and while it could potentially have some use in doubles or triples, it's hardly worth wasting an entire turn to force another Poke to go last.

The OHKO moves seem fairly useless to me as well :c They sound amazing in theory, but the abysmal accuracy, on top of the fact that they always fail against a Pokemon of higher level than the user, renders them pretty redundant. If you're going to use a move on a lower level Pokemon, you might as well use a move that's more reliable.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    It's funny how a lot of the moves, that were mentioned, actually have a use (although more in Doubles than single battles).

As for my pick, I'd say Explosion. As itself, it wasn't even bad of a move: you sacrifice something and do a ton of damage in return. However in gen 5 they nerfed it, by removing its defense halving properties. If you were able to greatly damage a wall before, now not anymore. Granted, for people who like to play challenges, it's not as frightening to deal with, anymore, but at the other hand, it also made challenges slightly easier.

Years
  • How has nobody said Techno Blast? Genesect would rather use Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Flamethrower for its moves, and since you'll most likely use it competitively, the drives offer no use.

It can still make use of the Douse Drive to allow Techno Blast to counter its massive Fire weakness, so not completely useless, plus the move itself got a huge power boost in 6th Gen.

What are some of the worst or useless moves in Pokemon?

Adorableness aside, what is up with this move? It does absolutely nothing. It's just a wasted move. :(

I agree, what the heck were they thinking with that event Vivillon? Just a pathetic way to ruin one of my fave Bug-types.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I considered Memento as the most useless move as it is nothing but lowers the target attack by 2 stages and Our Pokémon fainting also but it is useless as the opponent can change their Pokémon so I think what is the use of this move?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • It can still make use of the Douse Drive to allow Techno Blast to counter its massive Fire weakness, so not completely useless, plus the move itself got a huge power boost in 6th Gen.

I agree, what the heck were they thinking with that event Vivillon? Just a pathetic way to ruin one of my fave Bug-types.

I'd rather use Shift Gear to beat fire-types. Genesect has other items it'd rather be running anyway.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There are some moves that actually heal your opponents pokemon such as heal pulse. Plus, I don't know about you but moves that do damage to yourself in exchange for stat changes such as swagger are really not worth it. What are some other moves that you avoid using?
    Heal Pulse can be handy on Double and Triple Battles. ;) While Swagger is better used on Pokémon that relies on Special moves like Alakazam, Blissey, Delphox.

Here's my list:
    Telekinesis
    Kinesis
    Embargo
    Absorb
    Water Sport
    Mud Sport
    Splash

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Why does Cut and Strength still exist in general? Shouldn't the majority of Pokemon be inherently powerful enough to knock down a tree or push a boulder?

THIS.
    And while we're at it, I suggest we get rid of all of the HM's in general.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I considered Memento as the most useless move as it is nothing but lowers the target attack by 2 stages and Our Pokémon fainting also but it is useless as the opponent can change their Pokémon so I think what is the use of this move?

I totally agree. Moves that are not worth the trouble are just as bad also. Then there are moves that seem like they would do something but ends up not doing anything at all. like kinesis, which just puts the opponent in to the air... ok cool I guess? Completely different from magnet rise, which makes you immune to ground type moves for 5 turns. I always have this move for my Lucario.

Back