• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you [players] really want a hack to be?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2011
    Before I say anything, I'm really new here and I don't know where to put this thread. Please correct me if I did something against your will and I am sorry if there is another thread that is like this.

Title speaks for the whole thread.

After reading replies in the thread "What annoys you about hacks?", I wanted to satisfy players in playing hacks made by our hackers. I wanted to make a "guide" for our future hackers so that they will know what should not and should add in their hacks.

I wanted to make this a community where players help hackers and hackers supply what the players suggest.

Thanks for reading!
    Sorry for grammatical and spelling errors because I am just a 13 year old kid.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Before a guide can be made we need some decent hackers, which currently are non-existent. Everyone who was a "good"`hacker has long since left.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Before a guide can be made we need some decent hackers, which currently are non-existent. Everyone that was a "good"`hacker has long since left.

In other words, all new hackers suck. Take your negativity elsewhere please, there are a lot of good hackers still around.

I like fakemon, puzzles, side-quests, good tiles, good mapping, cut-scenes, and all of the little things that just make a hack great. Basically, creativity.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Before a guide can be made we need some decent hackers, which currently are non-existent. Everyone that was a "good"`hacker has long since left.
    That's a little mean, we all have to start somewhere. Even the "good" hackers started out being bad. Plus, who's to say that a hack made by an inexperienced hacker can't be good? It's unlikely but possible. Either way, the only way for who we have now to get better is experience anyways.

What I want in a hack, above all else, is originality. Even if it's bad but original at least we know you tried. So don't do a copy and paste of a Nintendo storyline or a rip-off of someone else's story. And don't pull any crap like this and say it is original:

You start off in GRASS Town and you must defeat the eight gyms of the JARNIX (Made up on the spot name, excuse me if it's a horrible name) region. Meanwhile, you must stop the evil Team FIRE.

That's just plain laziness when and fraud when you say that is your new and "original" story.

Another thing (mainly for the hacker as opposed to the hack itself) don't be cocky about your hack. Far too often I see things like this:

Features:
    New Amazing Story
    Beutiful Tiles and Maps
    Exciting New Characters

It's stuff like this that makes you sound like an overconfident jerk. And for the love of all that is good, if someone gives you advice, USE IT.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I like to try and include all sorts of things Game Freak has forgotten. My best suggestion is this:
    In the classic pokemon games, your player doesn't have much of a family. Usually just a mom. And she really never does anything. I think players should have a big family, and maybe at the start it's like a family party or something like that. Or at least something family-ish.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2011
    I, myself, am not a good hacker but if anyone would like to hack, I wish that the story would have some twists like your father is the criminal and he hated you from your childhood because he thinks that you are a wimp or something. So, you only hangout with your uncle but then your father will "kidnap" your uncle because your uncle is a hindrance in your father's plans. And here you will start your adventure tryig to find your uncle. If anyone offers you advice, please try and look at it!

AmayaTakahashi

Newbie Script Writer
    Years
  • I like to try and include all sorts of things Game Freak has forgotten. My best suggestion is this:
    In the classic pokemon games, your player doesn't have much of a family. Usually just a mom. And she really never does anything. I think players should have a big family, and maybe at the start it's like a family party or something like that. Or at least something family-ish.

Ya, totally. Even in the Hoenn region all you had was a mom and a dad, no extended family and they did ABSOLUTELY nothing. At least in Johto your mom held your money for you or something special like that.

I want some creativity. maybe a little break from the 8 gyms then elite four and champion stuff. Maybe like an exciting side plot.

Amaya

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Fun. That's all I ask for; fun and playability. I'm not going to be playing much past the Elite Four and Champion or whatever, so just make me want to keep playing up til then; if you can make me complete the main story of the game, I'd count it personally as a success.

Years
  • Before a guide can be made we need some decent hackers, which currently are non-existent. Everyone who was a "good"`hacker has long since left.

js that zel has returned.

Anyway in a hack I want to see a new game that sticks to the official formula with canon-styled fakemon and tiles. I want it to seem as if it were a totally new game made by Game Freak with the only limitations being those of the GBA. I want something that I can enjoy and spend my time doing. I want something that is clear that effort has been put into it.

I want a lot.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Before a guide can be made we need some decent hackers, which currently are non-existent. Everyone who was a "good"`hacker has long since left.

You really can't make a generalization and expect not to be called on it, cause truth be told you sound like an elitist jackass. There are plenty of decent hackers still around *DrFuji & Manipulation come to mind* So like Altariaking said you can take your negativity elsewhere. Just my two cents.

Anyways on-topic a good hack would have to add more reality into it. There are 649 (or something like that) Pokemon species which, logically,not one of a kind. There are well over thousands of Trainers around. What are the chances that you're the FIRST to run into a legendary...also what are the odds that you'll be the ONLY one to use a legendary pokemon on your team. A sense of realism is definitely a must in hacks.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Anyways on-topic a good hack would have to add more reality into it. There are 649 (or something like that) Pokemon species which, logically,not one of a kind. There are well over thousands of Trainers around. What are the chances that you're the FIRST to run into a legendary...also what are the odds that you'll be the ONLY one to use a legendary pokemon on your team. A sense of realism is definitely a must in hacks.
    The problem with that is that Legendaries are, well, legendary. They're basically gods and as such, should be near impossible to capture. (A pet peeve of mine for the Nintendo games.) I say hacks should either have no catchable legendaries, or no legendaries at all.

I would actually prefer a hack where legendaries are disregaurded completly. It always seems nowadays every evil team is out for some legendary. It just gets boring where every evil team's sole source of power is a Pokemon that they don't even get. In my opinion either let the evil team get the Pokemon, to actually make them a challenge to defeat and an actual threat to the region. Or just to make it so the evil team's goal isn't to get the legendary Pokemon. I mean it is possible to take over the world without a giant bird that's on fire.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I'm a BIG story person, but if not that, I do enjoy when a game has all of the pokemon in it (I've been making a collection of those for my friends and I, but I'm far from "good")

G00dbye

Ludicolo
    Years
  • A good storyline. Funny things. And I think good sharp graphics are important. But it must give a kind of warmth. I miss that in the real Fire Red/Leaf Green and real Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but some of the rom hacks have it and I like that. And another thing, I think there are enough remakes of gold/silver and red/blue, I like it if it is in a new region. And I like if there a new pokemons BUT it must be nice made pokemons and not dumb pokemons.

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years
  • In a hack, I'd like to see the hacker has put effort in his/her hack.
    Also, good mapping is a must (=the reason I hate the 3rd gen, the mapping just feels unnatural)

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • i dont agree taking out gyms, i always loved the gyms, even in hacks, but anyway

No, or at least barely any, fakemon- i always hated them, some look like complete s**t and some others are really good, but i just never had a feel for em.

Good Graphics- Who wants crap graphics in a game anyway?

GOOD PLOT AND SCRIPTS!- I can't STAND hacks that dont even focus on a story, honstly whats the point of making a game with no story? I can roll with the whole evil person thing, but make them actually run past the 8th gym, or make the gym leaders do something, or maybe even a rival that actually helps you in a story, you dont need to pack a game full of legondarys to make it a good hack....

knizz

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2020
    I like to try and include all sorts of things Game Freak has forgotten. My best suggestion is this:

Family is not something Game Freak has forgotten. It's something they intentionally left out. Getting rid of the parents was the main selling point in the old days. Adding family wouldn't make the story better. It would make it different.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2015
    a game that goes with the manga or anime not some random stuff that does not go with it. and something other than you not having a say when you talk to someone. like if you talk to a guard and he says you cannot pass i just want to say "il wait" and it skips passed a few in game days while whatever was happening finnaly ends. and more than 1 region with new area's and an edited map instead of hopping from lets say pallet town to the indigo plateau to mt moon and then to cinibar just to end up in lavender town in a few minutes.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Family is not something Game Freak has forgotten. It's something they intentionally left out. Getting rid of the parents was the main selling point in the old days. Adding family wouldn't make the story better. It would make it different.
    And different=bad? I wouldn't be surprised if someone said this to me, it's the basic mindset of a lot of Pokemon fans, unfortunatly. And it really ticks me off.

Back